What's the Matter with Kansas?

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America
- Thomas Frank

So i realize i touched on this book in a previous post but i thought it a good idea to bring it up again with the outcome of the election and the current trend on the general discussion board to post about the politics of our nation.

I am about 3/4 finished with this (i read several books at once and this was set aside for 2 others) and i will say that every person in the LGC should read this book...seriously. It uses Kansas as an example of how a cultural war is allowing the far right to convince blue collar red blooded Americans to vote against whats best for them. It explains how the far right is able to use issues like the suppossed "liberal media", abortion, and the destruction of American values to form a smoke screen and convince people to do what they should know is incorrect. An example? how about poor kansas farmers demanding an end to the "death tax" that will never touch them and in reality provides funds to better the nation as a whole...

This book is crazy in that is goes step by step through the conservatives playbook and points out how they have used issues they know they cannot fix to keep themselves in power and keep America on the path they want. I mean the country has become more gay, and abortion is not going away, and the market (not liberals) is what makes people show boobs and cuss on tv. If you look at the score card the conservatives have delivered on nothing to the masses! The masses, however; have delivered big time for the rich elite conservatives with tax cuts, and pro business reform, etc..

It shows how they have convinced America that liberals are ruining the world simply because they want it to be liberal. Pay no attention to the fact that the liberals are not the ones making the decisions and are not the ones benefiting. Pay no attention to the fact that the market and those that run it are the real causes of our problems. Why? Because it isnt about money it is about Liberals wanting us to be just like them!!

Man i freaking love this shite! you must read!

Re: What's the Matter with Kansas?

Since we all know that "the good people" of America are being duped against their own best interests and refuse to listen to progressive reason, the question I keep asking myself and one I think others here should, too, is how do I turn my knowledge of what is going on into a win for my family?

There's a sucker born every second. Most of conservative America has proven that's exactly what they are. I hate to sound too callous but if they won't listen, fuck 'em.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: What's the Matter with Kansas?

masonalannz wrote: There's a sucker born every second. Most of conservative America has proven that's exactly what they are. I hate to sound too callous but if they won't listen, fuck 'em.
Why you narrow-minded prick, you.

Where ignorance reigns, fear is quite easy to gin up. Fear is a valuable tool in the hands of someone like Karl Rove or Joseph Goebbels.
"Endeavor to persevere."