air rifle suggestions

I'm thinking of buying one to scare off the crows in my yard. They've taken it upon themselves to go after the bird feeders and scare off the little birdies. I have a bb gun but I don't think it'll accomplish what I want at the distance I need, about 30 yards or so. Not looking to spend a lot as I've sworn off anymore gun purchases this year.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

air rifle suggestions

Beeman r1will cure what ails you.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Re: air rifle suggestions

whitey wrote:Damn that's spendy, maybe I'll get a crappy Gammo.

You said that and you live by Allen?
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

whitey wrote:I'm thinking of buying one to scare off the crows in my yard. They've taken it upon themselves to go after the bird feeders and scare off the little birdies. I have a bb gun but I don't think it'll accomplish what I want at the distance I need, about 30 yards or so. Not looking to spend a lot as I've sworn off anymore gun purchases this year.
The crows like corn. Put some corn seperate and watch them too. Crows have a shitload of character.

When I was like 6 or 8, at my Aunt's house, this crow they named Jake would steal socks and underwear off the closeline. It was a hoot.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

I have a fairly powerful very accurate .177 I would be happy to lend you but I'm not sure its humane. It would definitely be more of a wounder than killer on crows unless shots were very well placed and within 20yds or so.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

whitey wrote:The only neat "crow", really a raven, were the ones at the Tower of London, they actually talked. These crows in my yard are a nuisance and need to find another yard to disturb.
Get a pumpmaster in pistol or rifle that way you can control the fps. We just purchased this and we love it at 650 fps and hit's a 2 inch target every time from the deck about 25 yards. That's 10 pumps. 1 pump will still hit the target, but oh so soft...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pumpm ... gMethod=rr

But I like this one if you have to have a real rifle.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hammerli_ ... FF62.app01
Last edited by Sonofagun on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

I'm just gonna try my daisy bb gun for the moment :lol: If they're still hanging out when I get home I'll deal with it, they may have moved on by now.

Mason, I'll pm you when I get in, I'm taking a couple weeks off so that range day is still a go if you're available.
*DISCLAIMER* This post may have been made from a barstool.

whitey wrote:Yeah, you can use it. I'll have my reloads for it or you can use factory ammo. I need to put a bunch of lead thru my AR, you get yours done yet?
I am too picky. As much as 57 more days till my barrel should ship. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get it done early.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Have you got a .22?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250629 ... olid-point
These bad boys make no more noise than an airgun, but pack a lot more punch. They're .22short cases with NO POWDER inside, using just the primer to launch a dinky slug.

They won't cycle an auto, and the manufacturer warns that they may get stuck in a rifle barrel (never happened to me), but worst case it'd be a heckuva test of your pistol skills.

Personally, I'm grateful to the crows, because they hector the hawks and warn me when they're nearby. Now that the leaves are down, it's hawk season here, and I've been losing one hen a year to the bastards.

Corvids and raptors are smart enough that you'd only have to take one - the rest won't come back. In my case the hawks are smart enough to flee as soon as I pop up, so I've never even gotten off a shot at one.

The premise and discourse of this thread is disturbing.

"scare off crows" then after enough replies morphs to more lethal.

How does one (simply) 'scare off' crows ?? Are we to assume intended non lethal strike on the bird? What of potential non lethal wounding,maiming?(same goes for the 'sans powder' ultra low velocity .22 noted in the post above.I've shot thousands of them........)

Note too that Crows are managed under Federal law,clear specifics as to take,season,methods.

Just because this is an 'air gun' forum does not mean the responsiblities and liabilities are diminished.

Sonofagun wrote:
whitey wrote:The only neat "crow", really a raven, were the ones at the Tower of London, they actually talked. These crows in my yard are a nuisance and need to find another yard to disturb.
Get a pumpmaster in pistol or rifle that way you can control the fps. We just purchased this and we love it at 650 fps and hit's a 2 inch target every time from the deck about 25 yards. That's 10 pumps. 1 pump will still hit the target, but oh so soft...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Pumpm ... gMethod=rr

But I like this one if you have to have a real rifle.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hammerli_ ... FF62.app01
+1 on the inexpensive Crossman pneumatics. I've had several since I was a kid. They're cheap, accurate, and last forever. These days there's even an aftermarket for the more popular models.

If you get one, my only suggestion is that you run pellets not bbs for more accurate shots.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

edfromnj wrote:I've heard some newer airguns are as loud as .22LR. Can someone recommend an air rifle that could be shot in my residential back yard and not alert the neighbors?
CO2 ,Pneumatic and Pre Charged Pneumatic airguns can be very loud. Spring piston airguns generally aren't. Springers (The guns you cock by "breaking" them in half or pulling a lever once) tend to only be loud when they send a pellet supersonic, which is always undesirable as accuracy will suffer appreciably.

Check out PyramydAir.com. Their new website sucks but they have the stuff. I recommend an RWS 34 or, if you have kids or women in mind as users, an Air Venturi Bronco is reportedly a decent rifle. The Benjamin Trail series are pretty good too. Just remember, If you have to pump it, it's gonna be loud.

-John Cleese