Is my yard ok for urban shooting?

Hi guys,
I am thinking of picking up a low powered airgun and setting up my small urban back yard for 10m shooting. The area is about 15m long and has a stone wall/earthen embankment that is just shy of 4 feet tall at the far end. Atop the wall is another 4 ft chain fence. Unfortunately that backs on to someone else's yard and they have kids.
1) If I am firing in to a trap do you think this would be reasonably safe?
2) Should I add some kind of drape over the fence when I am shooting to give me more protection?
3) If so I assume a sheet wouldn't help. What kind of drape would you suggest? Tarp, blanket, horse blanket (if I can get an old one from from friends who have horses) or something else?
4) How many pounds/feet or newtons should I be aiming for to get accurate .177 shots in a 10m range and still be as safe as possible?

I really want to get shooting and I figure this is the best way to start while I wait for my FID/LTC.

Re: Is my yard ok for urban shooting?

It sounds like your yard is suitable, so long as you have checked your local regulations first. I suggest calling your local PD as a final check to be sure. Next, talk to your neighbors, or at the very least don't shoot when their kids are in the yard. Even though it is perfectly legal I avoid shooting in my yard when neighbors are in theirs. If you hear knocking on your door or "Police" while shooting immediately place your gun on the ground!

As far as traps. How confident a shot are you? I use a small steel trap out to 30 yards but my yard slopes down to a creek and I'm a decent shot. If you're not too confident buy or build the biggest soft trap you can. Soft traps also have the advantage of being quiet and alerting neighbors less. There are instructions online to build pellet traps using duct seal putty. The berm you mentioned should add a good measure of safety. Use pellets, not BB's, they ricochet far less.

Almost any Airgun will be plenty accurate enough at ten yards to work on your shooting skills. I prefer spring piston types for cost and simplicity and they are much quieter than PCP, C02 or Pneumatic.

Have fun.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Air_Ventu ... Rifle/2709

Last edited by Mason on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Great tips guys.

I just called my local PD Firearms Licensing Officer and there are no restrictions on shooting in the city beyond the state law (which prohibits firing across streets, rights of way etc). The firearms cop did emphasize that if someone is hurt by it or there is property damage, I am responsible for it as if it was a firearm. I told him I was planning on firing in to a trap and he seemed very pleased I had thought of that.

The trap you suggested looks great. I definitely will get one. This will be my first time shooting in about 25 years and my first time with an air gun so I am going to start out at a range and then graduate to the back yard, just to see how bad a shot I am or not.

I live in a multi family house so will talk to those neighbors first and then talk to the ones beyond the wall.

Thanks for all the help.

JoelB wrote:Your basement is a much better, safer idea. Once you really get confident with practicing down there you can consider moving outdoors.
Late last night I found a club about 25 miles away that has an active air gun group with silouette shoot every week and a field target shoot once a month. I think I am going start there under supervision and take it from there.

Fukshot wrote:Check your local laws first.

If it was me, I'd hang a piece of plywood on the fence. Probably more than you need, but the neighbors will appreciate you taking their safety seriously.
This. Though I was lucky enough growing up because the neighbors had a tall plywood fence, Excellent pellet trap, and they moved out and the house sat empty for years too.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

Inquisitor wrote:I shoot in my basement, it is less likely to scare the locals. And my locals are your locals :)

The duct seal trap is awesome.
Only issue is I live in a multi family house. My side of the basement is broken up in to 3 section so does not have much range. The other side is perfect for it, and currently no one lives there (though I that is not likely for long). Hence why I was asking about outside. But I could probably make indoors + Haverhill HRG Air Rifle Range work for me.