An American Classic

So, I seem to be having a love affair with Crosman pistols.

I had one of these 20+ years ago, it was a hoot, so I grabbed it on Amazon when the price dipped below 50 and got some matching RB Grips for my carbine stock (its compatible).

.177 cal, multi pump pneumatic.

Re: An American Classic

I used that same pistol to shoot (1 pump) at my neighbors front storm door, it was like ring and run at 100ft. I pretty sure it had the extended stock. My brother was spotting in the other room with binoculars. My Dad busted in. We barely hid the pistol in time but he saw the binocs and a open window. He asked what were we doing.
Like any other kids who grew up in a house with no cool stuff (bb guns, fireworks, dirtbikes), corporal punishment and wanted to do everything not to get busted with a friends bb gun, we said we were looking at the old lady accross the Street...80 year old, part time librian , Mrs. Stanley. :sick:
Pop said, "Boys, you can't look at Mrs Stanley like that." We said OK, he went back downstairs and my brother and I carried on.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

So you guys pushed me over the edge reading this thread. Always wanted on of these as a kid so went down to the local Big 5 and got their last one for under $50. What a hoot! I imagine they are all a bit different but mine has really smooth nice trigger action. Perhaps because it was the display case demo and has been worked a little. It shoots straight and more powerful than I imagined. Have only gone to 6 pumps so far.

I am not a hunter, but I have some rats that moved into the walls of the house so I figure it is more sporting than just setting snap traps.... Just sayin....
LAD

Liberal, Armed and Dangerous!

Well there are more than one of them and I think they range in size. I wouldnt mind so much if they didnt munch wood inside the wall by my head at 4 in the morning. I keep expecting to wake up with one peering out of a fresh hole

I do have some hollow point pellets but also have some "varmit loads" for my .22 pistols. Just hate to scare the neighbors. The 1377 is nice a quiet.
LAD

Liberal, Armed and Dangerous!

LAD wrote:So you guys pushed me over the edge reading this thread. Always wanted on of these as a kid so went down to the local Big 5 and got their last one for under $50. What a hoot! I imagine they are all a bit different but mine has really smooth nice trigger action. Perhaps because it was the display case demo and has been worked a little. It shoots straight and more powerful than I imagined. Have only gone to 6 pumps so far.

I am not a hunter, but I have some rats that moved into the walls of the house so I figure it is more sporting than just setting snap traps.... Just sayin....
I may have mentined this elsewhere, but I recently bought two air pistols, a Crosman American Classic Pump pellet pistol (same deal at Big 5), and a C41 CO2-charged BB pistol.

I wanted to do some target practice in my garage and backyard, but also to deal with a pest problem -- rats in the garage, eating the pet food.

To my surprise, I've been able to kill three rats so far with these air pistols. One rat was caught in a trap, so I just ended its suffering with a shot from the pellet gun. Another I cornered behind a speaker inside the house. I had to shoot about 10 BBs into it before it stopped moving. They dented the wood floor, and bounced up into my face (I was wearing glasses so my eyes were protected), and made a bloody mess -- not necessarily recommended. And the third was writhing in the garage floor while I was out there cleaning my guns. It must have poisoned itself, possibly with D-CON. So that was another mercy killing.

So, if you are patient and keep the air gun handy, you might get a crack at the wee beasties. Good hunting!
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

There was some model of crossman pump pistol I used to buy every once in a while, play with it for a week or 2 then return it to the store once I got it out of my system. I'd shoot lots of things out of it but very few actual BBs or pellets. Bong pokers worked well. They were wooden skewers wrapped with embroidery thread. They fit the 22 cal very well. I would also pack it with a rolling paper for wadding then sprinkle in 30 or so pot seeds then throw in another paper to hold it all in. Mind you this was 25 or so years ago and pot seeds were plentifull back then. It threw a tight pattern out to 40 feet or so and would penetrate a Saturday paper IIRC.
but one day I got high and just sort of wandered off.

"Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down." - Malcolm Reynolds

larrymod wrote:
LAD wrote:So you guys pushed me over the edge reading this thread. Always wanted on of these as a kid so went down to the local Big 5 and got their last one for under $50. What a hoot! I imagine they are all a bit different but mine has really smooth nice trigger action. Perhaps because it was the display case demo and has been worked a little. It shoots straight and more powerful than I imagined. Have only gone to 6 pumps so far.

I may have mentined this elsewhere, but I recently bought two air pistols, a Crosman American Classic Pump pellet pistol (same deal at Big 5), and a C41 CO2-charged BB pistol.

I wanted to do some target practice in my garage and backyard, but also to deal with a pest problem -- rats in the garage, eating the pet food.

To my surprise, I've been able to kill three rats so far with these air pistols. One rat was caught in a trap, so I just ended its suffering with a shot from the pellet gun. Another I cornered behind a speaker inside the house. I had to shoot about 10 BBs into it before it stopped moving. They dented the wood floor, and bounced up into my face (I was wearing glasses so my eyes were protected), and made a bloody mess -- not necessarily recommended. And the third was writhing in the garage floor while I was out there cleaning my guns. It must have poisoned itself, possibly with D-CON. So that was another mercy killing.

So, if you are patient and keep the air gun handy, you might get a crack at the wee beasties. Good hunting!
You shouldn't shoot BBs in a pellet gun--- it might mess up the rifling. (Steel on steel--- usually a BB gun is smoothbore.)
Jim

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." Robert Anton Wilson
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a moonless night, and the anger of a gentle man." Patrick Rothfuss

GlockLobster wrote:I used that same pistol to shoot (1 pump) at my neighbors front storm door, it was like ring and run at 100ft. I pretty sure it had the extended stock. My brother was spotting in the other room with binoculars. My Dad busted in. We barely hid the pistol in time but he saw the binocs and a open window. He asked what were we doing.
Like any other kids who grew up in a house with no cool stuff (bb guns, fireworks, dirtbikes), corporal punishment and wanted to do everything not to get busted with a friends bb gun, we said we were looking at the old lady accross the Street...80 year old, part time librian , Mrs. Stanley. :sick:
Pop said, "Boys, you can't look at Mrs Stanley like that." We said OK, he went back downstairs and my brother and I carried on.
I bought a bb gun from a friend for $5.00 when I was about 10. It was one of those that was cocked by pushing the barrel. That year I caught the flu around Christmas...I was bored to tears.

Consequently every Christmas light along the front of the house across the street was fair game.

My father was not pleased with my marksmanship.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I splurged and put a steel breech on my 1377, then discovered that after you do that, you have to spend another $60 for an adjustable rear sight AND modify the front sight with a pin to make it high enough. The dovetail notch in the steel breech is a proprietary size, too, so you can't just get a generic rear sight and put on it. I think the notch is .5" across the bottom. Anyway, being basically cheap, I cut and filed an L-shaped piece of plastic from a computer bay cover and fitted it to the notch. It works great! I didn't have to mod the front sight, either. For plinking and garden rodent shooting at airgun range, it's perfect! :cool2:
Jim

"What the Thinker thinks, the Prover proves." Robert Anton Wilson
"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a moonless night, and the anger of a gentle man." Patrick Rothfuss

rolandson wrote:
GlockLobster wrote:I used that same pistol to shoot (1 pump) at my neighbors front storm door, it was like ring and run at 100ft. I pretty sure it had the extended stock. My brother was spotting in the other room with binoculars. My Dad busted in. We barely hid the pistol in time but he saw the binocs and a open window. He asked what were we doing.
I bought a bb gun from a friend for $5.00 when I was about 10. It was one of those that was cocked by pushing the barrel. That year I caught the flu around Christmas...I was bored to tears.

Consequently every Christmas light along the front of the house across the street was fair game.

My father was not pleased with my marksmanship.
:lol: Your a bad man...

My dad had the same reaction when my concept was to "save ammo" while using my christmas prestent "Guild" as a bb gun target. I was so proud after taking the strings off and saving so many bb's.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead