Annual Meeting Cheapo Challenge - WINNERS POSTED

Information about upcoming meetings and reviews of past ones.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Antiquus
Loquacious

Re: Annual Meeting sub-200 Dollar Challenge

#26 Post by Antiquus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Simmer down wrote:I'm in.
Damn... OK going for 2nd...
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
It would indeed be ironic if, in the name of national defense, we would sanction the subversion of one of those liberties which make the defense of our nation worthwhile. -Earl Warren

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Annual Meeting Cheapo Challenge

#27 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm saddened to report the H&R in 500 S&W was bought before I could get to the gun store. :cry:
"You miss 100% of the sandwiches you never ate."

Bang
Chatty

#28 Post by Bang » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I think I'll take a look at one of the pawn shops near me and see if I can find anything good. I don't know a lot about different kinds of guns, but maybe it will be educational.

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#29 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Bang wrote:I think I'll take a look at one of the pawn shops near me and see if I can find anything good. I don't know a lot about different kinds of guns, but maybe it will be educational.
Oh, I wouldn't focus on good at all. Go for funky, yet functional. Something interesting that won't also poke your eye out when you shoot it. :fun:

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#30 Post by lurker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:15 pm

since i'm not planning to attend, i'm not sure i should be posting here. but i see two potential issues. first, it's entirely possible to buy brand new pistols for under $200, the phoenix hp22, hp25 and cobra 380 all msrp for well under $200. also, i'm not seeing any criteria for judging. oldest? oddest? ugliest? cheapest functioning gun? smallest? all of the above?
if i was going, i'd want to enter the 100 yr old j. stevens single shot in .22short, but it was only semi-functional so i gave it away to a young lady who coveted it, with a warning not to rely on it.
covfefe!

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#31 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 pm

lurker wrote:since i'm not planning to attend, i'm not sure i should be posting here. but i see two potential issues. first, it's entirely possible to buy brand new pistols for under $200, the phoenix hp22, hp25 and cobra 380 all msrp for well under $200. also, i'm not seeing any criteria for judging. oldest? oddest? ugliest? cheapest functioning gun? smallest? all of the above?
if i was going, i'd want to enter the 100 yr old j. stevens single shot in .22short, but it was only semi-functional so i gave it away to a young lady who coveted it, with a warning not to rely on it.
All good ideas. I think we also need to get some super cheap medals for prizes.

**edit**

I think we can all agree that we want to be inclusive, so bring what you have and/or can afford. I haven't ever shot a super cheap Raven or Phoenix , so that alone would be interesting enough for me to buy and/or shoot one.

Shooting stuff is fun. Shooting cheap, weird, odd-ball calibered stuff is funner. Judging will mostly be subjective and could just be a show of hands. We're making this up as we go along. Any suggestions like Lurker's are more than welcome.

Bang
Chatty

#32 Post by Bang » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 pm

atxgunguy wrote:
lurker wrote:since i'm not planning to attend, i'm not sure i should be posting here. but i see two potential issues. first, it's entirely possible to buy brand new pistols for under $200, the phoenix hp22, hp25 and cobra 380 all msrp for well under $200. also, i'm not seeing any criteria for judging. oldest? oddest? ugliest? cheapest functioning gun? smallest? all of the above?
All good ideas. I think we also need to get some super cheap medals for prizes.

**edit**

I think we can all agree that we want to be inclusive, so bring what you have and/or can afford. I haven't ever shot a super cheap Raven or Phoenix , so that alone would be interesting enough for me to buy and/or shoot one.

Shooting stuff is fun. Shooting cheap, weird, odd-ball calibered stuff is funner. Judging will mostly be subjective and could just be a show of hands. We're making this up as we go along. Any suggestions like Lurker's are more than welcome.
I just saw what I have discovered through Google is an old type Raven MP-25. Pawn shop wants $100 for, is it worth that much?

Edit: Just to qualify it, the wood grips are still intact and the finish is shiny and in good condition.

nigel
Loquacious

#33 Post by nigel » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 am

I'm afraid to admit it, but with this competition I'm spoiled for choice.
ImageImageImage

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#34 Post by lurker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:52 am

Bang wrote:old type Raven MP-25. Pawn shop wants $100 for, is it worth that much?

Edit: Just to qualify it, the wood grips are still intact and the finish is shiny and in good condition.
not really, no, unless you're interested in that type of gun. there are nutcases :whistle: who collect :? saturday night specials, vestpocket pistols or just odd or unusual guns, and to those people maybe a good example is worth that. but in terms of why most people buy guns, no, not really. maybe offer $75. they're not especially artistic or accurate or high quality or reliable. concealable and cheap is what they are.
eta:
there are some good quality cheap pistols out there. personally, i like the phoenixes, and the all-steel galesi-brescia .25 is well-made and reliable, and there are several other inexpensive small guns that are decent values, for what they are. and then, some are just junk. a magnet will distinguish zamak from steel, but it won't point out poor design or workmanship.
covfefe!

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#35 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 am

There's an Academy Sports right across the highway from our Hotel. They're usually pretty good about stocking the oddball ammo. Come to think of it, let SimmerDown know and he may roll some for you. :)

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#36 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

Rules updated...keep reading.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#37 Post by lurker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 pm

atxgunguy wrote:Prizes will be in the form of medals/trophies made of the finest plastic, the cheapest money can buy.
this is going to be awesome. somebody please get pictures. :bow:
covfefe!

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#38 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00 pm

lurker wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Prizes will be in the form of medals/trophies made of the finest plastic, the cheapest money can buy.
this is going to be awesome. somebody please get pictures. :bow:
My goal is to find a bargain bin Hi-Point and mount some Walmart RMR on it with hex screws and blue locktite. :hmmm:

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#39 Post by lurker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm

:love: i love you guys, in a manly sort of way. :love:
covfefe!

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#40 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 am

Reminder bump. Official rules* are forthcoming. Still looking for my diamond in the rough. There's a gun show this weekend, so hope springs eternal.

*They're more like qualifiers and incredibly loose ones at that.

lurker
Carpal Tunnel

#41 Post by lurker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

atxgunguy wrote:Reminder bump. Official rules* are forthcoming. Still looking for my diamond in the rough. There's a gun show this weekend, so hope springs eternal.
i wish i could be there, just to see. please, someone get pictures, i beg of you.
pawn shops are good for odd guns, too. gun shops that only sell new guns are boring.
covfefe!

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#42 Post by atxgunguy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:56 pm

lurker wrote:
atxgunguy wrote:Reminder bump. Official rules* are forthcoming. Still looking for my diamond in the rough. There's a gun show this weekend, so hope springs eternal.
i wish i could be there, just to see. please, someone get pictures, i beg of you.
pawn shops are good for odd guns, too. gun shops that only sell new guns are boring.
There will definitely be photos.

I'm hitting up the pawn shops and my LGS on Friday, then the gun show on Saturday. I'm hoping the gun show has more than the old timers "selling" their semi-rusted single shot rifles and break-open shotguns for don't wanna sell 'em prices. :think:

KlownKannon

#43 Post by KlownKannon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm gonna order a mag for my Raven.....if somebody else (AHEM!) brings a Raven there's going to be trouble. by 'trouble' I mean two guns that won't fire.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

YankeeTarheel
Loquacious

#44 Post by YankeeTarheel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Can I bring my Porter-Cable? But I'll need my compressor, too!
Only guns I have under $200 are nail/staple guns.....
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#45 Post by atxgunguy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 pm

YankeeTarheel wrote:Can I bring my Porter-Cable? But I'll need my compressor, too!
Only guns I have under $200 are nail/staple guns.....
Nope, only firearms as described by the BATF. Would a 4473 be required to buy it as non-private sale? The idea is to literally bring your worst. :fun:

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#46 Post by atxgunguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Whelp, found my contender today. A Bersa Modelo 83. It's admittedly nice to look at and coincidentally cheap. Most of the bluing is still on it and it's got nice feeling walnut grips to boot. I think this is what Bersa should be putting out these days instead of the current Thunder 380s.

Best part is that is was way cheaper than a new Thunder 380 yet still takes the same magazines. :thumbup:
Attachments
Bersa Mod 83.jpg

Bucolic
Carpal Tunnel

#47 Post by Bucolic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 pm

That's a nice looking little pistol.
Neverthless, she persisted.

nigel
Loquacious

#48 Post by nigel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:52 pm

:thumbup: Looks like the offspring of a Walther PPK and a Mauser HSc after a steamy weekend in tropical climes.
ImageImageImage

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#49 Post by atxgunguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:26 pm

nigel wrote::thumbup: Looks like the offspring of a Walther PPK and a Mauser HSc after a steamy weekend in tropical climes.
It was a summer love affair in South America. The slide racks like its on glass rails and it has quite a "full" grip being such as small gun. I didn't have the time to take it to the range, but I imagine the heavy steel frame and low bore axis will make this quite a pleasant shooter.

KlownKannon

#50 Post by KlownKannon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 pm

No idea if it works, but I'm gonna do what I can to make sure that I have the most disturbing cheapo there. Painting the grips.
0910171325.jpg
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.