Seriously How is Houston?

Information about upcoming meetings and reviews of past ones.

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Paladin

Seriously How is Houston?

#1 Post by Paladin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:32 am

Blizzards are something I'm used to but how does a city recover from a hurricane? I hope everyone is well. Does this affect our meeting? Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

KlownKannon

Re: Seriously How is Houston?

#2 Post by KlownKannon » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 pm

I was wondering this. Will Houston still be underwater in October?
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Seriously How is Houston

#3 Post by atxgunguy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:09 pm

KlownKannon wrote:I was wondering this. Will Houston still be underwater in October?
Well, it's not good right now. To predict how it will be in 2+ months is hard to say. Houston is and has been very resilient to natural disasters...the city is actually designed around flooding. What you're seeing in TV is the flood plan working.

It supposed to start getting better by week's end and only then could we start speculating about October. Know that the folks who frequent here are just trying to endure it right now.
"You miss 100% of the sandwiches you never ate."

HuckleberryFun
Loquacious

#4 Post by HuckleberryFun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Just heard on the radio that Houston officials are asking for people with boats to rescue their stranded neighbors because they can't wait for help to arrive. Storm is stalled over the Houston area until Thursday? Geez...this is pretty bad.
ImageImage

"If you find yourself in hand-to-hand combat...your tactics suck." --military maxim

Paladin

#5 Post by Paladin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:14 pm

I hope Klown and I didn't come off as insensitive.

An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

FlyGuy
Grizzled Veteran

#6 Post by FlyGuy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 am

The worst hit/last to recover areas are usually the gun ranges. The outdoor range I frequently visit is in the middle of the reservoir that is about to hit capacity. Low lying areas like these make for great distance shooting. The last flood (we call it the "Memorial Day" flood) the place was completely under water for over a month. Then it took about another month to completely dry out. I went out soon after reopening and there were still fish swimming in the 100 and 200 yard target areas. Put on your boots! That said, the area were we are planning is up north and not part of any reservoir, but most likely a watershed area. Only time will tell. I am quite positive that things will be back up and running by then. IMHO

Atxgunguy said it best, Houston was built to shed water. Where else in the world could you dump over 40" of water over 9,000 square miles in a 48 hour period and not end up with total natural disaster? Last count, sadly there were 6 deaths attributed to the storm. That number is a miracle, considering more people that that died during the evacuation of Hurricane Rita in 2005.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Bisbee
Loquacious

#7 Post by Bisbee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:46 pm

From Democracy Now!
As Catastrophic Flooding Hits Houston, Fears Grow of Pollution From Oil Refineries and Superfund Sites
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/4175 ... fund-sites
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Marlene
Loquacious

#8 Post by Marlene » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Anybody heard that All Cities Matter yet?

Catalyst
Chatty

#9 Post by Catalyst » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am

FlyGuy wrote:The worst hit/last to recover areas are usually the gun ranges. The outdoor range I frequently visit is in the middle of the reservoir that is about to hit capacity. Low lying areas like these make for great distance shooting. The last flood (we call it the "Memorial Day" flood) the place was completely under water for over a month. Then it took about another month to completely dry out. I went out soon after reopening and there were still fish swimming in the 100 and 200 yard target areas. Put on your boots! That said, the area were we are planning is up north and not part of any reservoir, but most likely a watershed area. Only time will tell. I am quite positive that things will be back up and running by then. IMHO

Atxgunguy said it best, Houston was built to shed water. Where else in the world could you dump over 40" of water over 9,000 square miles in a 48 hour period and not end up with total natural disaster? Last count, sadly there were 6 deaths attributed to the storm. That number is a miracle, considering more people that that died during the evacuation of Hurricane Rita in 2005.
Conroe area came out of this fairly well. The gun ranges planning on being utilized for the meeting are OK from the limited information I could gather. By late Oct, assuming we don't get a Harvey 2.0, all should be well.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas CHL Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#10 Post by atxgunguy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm

In case you're wondering how the venue fared during Hurricane Harvey. This was posted at 09:30 on 8/30/17

Things should be fine in October so long as Mother Nature plays nice.
Attachments
Blackwood.jpg

Paladin

#11 Post by Paladin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 pm

What about hotels and such

—Joe Strummer

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#12 Post by atxgunguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am

Paladin wrote:What about hotels and such

Are you asking about hotels in general or the one we're staying at? The hotel info is located on the main annual meeting thread.

As for the hotel itself, I'm going to assume it's fine as Conroe is about 20 miles north of downtown Houston and didn't suffer anywhere near the devastation the city proper did. Also keep in mind, I'm armchairing this from Austin, about 250 miles west of Houston.

To talk anyone off the ledge, here are some infographics.

According to Google Maps, most roads in Conroe are open.
Map1.jpg
Airports in Houston re-open today. The main arteries to/from Conroe to the airport are also open.
Map2.jpg

atxgunguy
Carpal Tunnel

#13 Post by atxgunguy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am

Gun Range as of 08:50 on 8/31/17.
Attachments
blackwood.jpg

Inquisitor
Site Admin