More .308 -> 44 auto mag questions

Getting closer to converting some .308 brass into 44AMT. We have all the tools, most of the components and are going to start prepping brass this week. IF that is, we can get the bit below sorted out.

This one is unclear to me:

"The necks of the cases must be reamed to a depth of .490" to accept the 44 caliber bullet."

So the case dimension of the 44AMT are .459" at the mouth, .470" at the base. I'm not sure if this refers to flaring out to almost a half inch, reaming down inside the case that far, chamfering....None of those make sense to me. Seems important though.

Anyone able to clue me in here? Pic below is of the exact text in the current edition of the Hornady manual that the language above is from.
Attachments
IMAG0509.jpg

Re: More .308 -> 44 auto mag questions

If you don't ream the inside of the case it will either be so thick after seating the bullet it won't chamber or deform the bullet or crinkle or split the case. Expect a few failures but when you get it down you will have real bragging rights. Good luck.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: More .308 -> 44 auto mag questions

eelj wrote:If you don't ream the inside of the case it will either be so thick after seating the bullet it won't chamber or deform the bullet or crinkle or split the case. Expect a few failures but when you get it down you will have real bragging rights. Good luck.
So do I need to actually remove material from the inner wall of the case (read: increase the inner diameter)? I took it to mean that it needs to be neck flared deeper than normal.