Heavy bullets and the .45 ACP?

So, after some trial and error I got using my box of 240 gr keith type LSWC in my .45 ACP reloads for my RIA 1911. It's a good load, not too stout and accurate. The problem is that that box is almost empty.

And I can't afford any more bullets because I spent all my toy money on that Carbine. I know 1st world problem :lol:

BUT I still have about a hundred or so 250 gr keith type LSWC that I was using in my .45 Colt loads.

10 grains heaver yet and .712" long as opposed to the .659" of the 240's. Seating it to the same depth in the case would give me a 1.253" COAL under the maximum of 1.275" for the .45 ACP.

So powder becomes the next question.

Lee has Unique and Bullseye data - for 260 grain _Jacketed_ bullets... :wall:

I don't want anything too hot, just to cycle the action and keep me shooting till I can afford some 230 LRN for plinking ammo.

Thoughts?
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Heavy bullets and the .45 ACP?

It's a wonder to me in that regard as well. The 240's feed well. I am pondering making a couple of dummies for feed testing.

The powder levels sound good but both were being used in a 625 in .45 ACP so no help on the feeding profile.

Pity no one around here needs a spam can of 7.62x54r in trade for some 230 gr LRN... But shipping that can is a pig so it's not really bait for the trade forum really.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Found some data in the Oregon Trail cast handbook for RNFP that has it at 5.0 as a max load, OAL at 1.168 for a 1911. I'd personally drop that 5.6 they recommend in the other link by 10% to be safe starting out. YMMV.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

hillman wrote:
wlewisiii wrote:Post WWII almost all of both are .452".
Just looked at the Wikipedia entry; no .458 mention. I may have had another Geezer Moment.
.458 is .45-70 diameter (and .458 Win Mag and many others). Old .45 Colt was .454. New is .452. >45 acp is .451-.452 with .452 being common for cast bullets. Easy to mix them all up.