What does the club "think"...

In the fall of 2012, the Liberal Gun Club decided to remove its previously stated “positions.” We felt this was in keeping with our non-profit status, and allowed us to concentrate on our education mission, without delving headlong into the politics of various policy issues.

Our members opinions on things range from pure authoritarian to pure libertarian, it’s a diverse group, and hard to present a consensus that reflects the entirety of the membership. That said, we did embark on an internal discussion to develop replacements for those positions and to have some answer to what we think is “reasonable regulation.”

With the tragic events of Sandy Hook in December 2012, we elected not to publish these revised talking points and consider the matter further, see what came from our elected officials and judge the tone of the debate as the emotion cleared.

Various state and local governments have obviously proposed and enacted new rules and regulations. Some of them are potentially good, many of them are bad. Here is what the “elders” of Liberal Gun Club (basically long time contributors and annual meeting attendees) thinks about “reasonable” control, at least in so much as liberals can agree. We believe it’s time to at least start the discussion with the membership.

Like any good opinion, these may evolve over time as new data informs the debate and new voices enter the discussion.

These are starting places for that discussion. They are not "official positions" of the club. We will still leave the politics to the local chapters.

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/about-us/talking/

Re: What does the club "think"...

Fukshot wrote:
JoelB wrote:I like everything other than the reference to "States" Rights"
"The rights of states" would work just as well for our purposes and not make the reference JoelB finds distasteful.
With that rewording, I can get behind these items as well.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I support making these points on Firearms Regulations into LGC Positions on the issue if that is as far as the group wishes to go. They are fairly benign as far as that goes. I for one am willing to go further and beef up points #3 & #4 by supporting mandatory licensing (CCW) for all owners and universal background checks on all purchases.

I believe this sport needs a heightened sense of responsibility in our society and that the majority of Americans who appear "anti's wishing to ban this-n-that" actually wish to see Responsibility in gun owners. Children get anxious when they see the Adults are not in charge.

There is nothing really to debate about these current points as stated. I would encourage a debate on positions of real consequence that if adopted into law (nationally or state-by-state) would help change behavior in our society for the better.

Favoring changing society's behavior through addressing "root cause mitigation for violence prevention" actually says nothing at all for the relative difficulty of that charge -akin to passing-the-buck. I for one believe that we can address the very real problem of firearms violence in our country before we solve such huge universal problems of better mental health care, poverty, homelessness and unemployment. Japan, for example, is still grappling with each of those issues as they do contribute to violence among the Japanese yet they do not have to worry about firearms violence.

My own opinions... humbly offered for honored senior members to chew on and spit out if they so wish.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Yup -- I'm good with it, with the revision spoken by others.

"Let's call it what it really is. It's not a gun buy-back because the government didn't own them in the first place. It's a gun turn in." Atty "CF"
First of all, let's call it what it really is...It's not a gun buy-back, because the government never owned them. It's a gun turn in.

Bisbee wrote:I support making these points on Firearms Regulations into LGC Positions on the issue if that is as far as the group wishes to go. They are fairly benign as far as that goes. I for one am willing to go further and beef up points #3 & #4 by supporting mandatory licensing (CCW) for all owners and universal background checks on all purchases.
Universal Background check only if it can be done anonymously for private transfers. Give honest people the tools to their job and leave as little trail as possible. Mandatory Licensing... linked with full reciprocity might sell.
some days, I just don't English

I'm good with it as is. I think Fukshot's edit makes it better.

I would also like a line about "we oppose moves to criminalize mental health issues" in the paragraph about reporting. I think something along those lines is important, but would rather have consensus quickly on something that's 99%, rather than bog down the process for something 100%.

The article's timing caught us by surprise and I think getting on the same page quickly is better than opening cans of worms. We can actually revisit these at the next annual meeting indepth.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."