Re: How to: smelting & casting

K type refers to which particular two dissimilar metals used in the thermocouple, not any other physical attribute. They come in various configurations. There are others but K is pretty standard. A good casting thermometer may be a better investment. I use TC's because I use them constantly at work.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I'm always open to suggestions so if they really work well please post. My smelter is a cheap cast iron dutch oven that will hold about 75lbs of lead and I drilled a hole in the cover so I can put the thermometer in and keep it covered to speed up the process. I check my wheel weights for zinc before hand but I like to keep the temp at 650 deg. max in case I missed one. When the temp approaches what I want for max you have to be on it and turn down the gas since it will jump up fast.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Big Temp.jpg
I found a thermometer on ebay for $9.99. I was focused on the 11" stem and didn't worry about the odd stem-gauge ratio in the photo. The face turned out to be 5" across! The photo is taken on a plane, not a close up of the thermometer. I'll have to make some sort of hanger to keep it pinned to the side so it doesn't do a somersault out of the pot with a breath-stopping spray of molten lead. :o

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Success.jpg
A productive day in the driveway.

I used the SuperBigFunTimeThermometer this go around and found things pour nicely at 700-750*. I must have had it to 1000-1100* before. Yikes!

I got sharp edges on .309, .430. and.457 casts. I'll pan lube the 309 & 457 using bee's wax/carnauba combo.

I've been using a Lee ladle that's about the size of a quarter. I wonder if I got a larger one that would reduce the time filling each cavity would I avoid the wrinkles. It looks like those wrinkles/ seams may be where I stopped to refill the ladle and poured on top of the cooling lead. Anyone have any ladle talk to share?

I have a Lyman dipper it cost about 21 bucks new at midway, I can pour 6 cavities full with out refilling it for 357. You never want to stop and refill with a cavity only partially full.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:I have a Lyman dipper it cost about 21 bucks new at midway, I can pour 6 cavities full with out refilling it for 357. You never want to stop and refill with a cavity only partially full.
I thought that might mess it up. I noticed the 113g 308s came out flawlessly but the 457s take about a ladle and a half unless I can keep from missing the sprue hole.
http://tnwfirearms.com/m31-homebuilders-kit.html

I saw this ambi one and I'll order that.

Attachments
Lefty Approved.jpg

I had a chance to use the new ladle and it makes all the difference. The Lee piece o crap is about the volume of a bottle cap. The lyman pourer makes it faster and less messy. I just cranked out a few 100 309s and all but the first couple of loads were perfect.

I'm off to load for the 303 Savage.

Simmer down wrote:I had a chance to use the new ladle and it makes all the difference. The Lee piece o crap is about the volume of a bottle cap. The lyman pourer makes it faster and less messy. I just cranked out a few 100 309s and all but the first couple of loads were perfect.

With those spouts you will be able to pressure cast. For some reason and don't ask me why you need too put the spout right into the sprue and tip and hold to get proper fill out. You will be much happier.

eelj wrote:
Simmer down wrote:I had a chance to use the new ladle and it makes all the difference. The Lee piece o crap is about the volume of a bottle cap. The lyman pourer makes it faster and less messy. I just cranked out a few 100 309s and all but the first couple of loads were perfect.

With those spouts you will be able to pressure cast. For some reason and don't ask me why you need too put the spout right into the sprue and tip and hold to get proper fill out. You will be much happier.
That's what I was doing. The bullets all have crisps edges and look uniform.

I may be ready for a 6-holer.

This is kind of exciting to be able to cast what I need on demand. I've been eyeing some 44 WC molds, 185 & 208g.

Mason wrote:Nice effort, Mr. Down. I need to get my stuff out and cast me up some more soon.

I slacked off and raced sailboats instead today. :)
Are you talking about real sail boats? I mean full size people size?

eelj wrote:
Mason wrote:Nice effort, Mr. Down. I need to get my stuff out and cast me up some more soon.

Yup, 28 feet of pure bred race boat. Not mine.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:
eelj wrote:

Yup, 28 feet of pure bred race boat. Not mine.
Lucky you, I'd rather sail than cast bullets any day.

Simmer down wrote:I got a 6 cavity Lee mold 44 WCs. It came with only one handle. I googled around and I see them sold that way but used with two handles, sometimes a third on the sprue plate.

What the heck?
Lee mold handles are very cheap. 6 cavity like every other mold block do not come with them. Being used too 2 cavity it can be a bit of a shock having to buy handles, all other mold block companies sell blocks with out handles for 2 or 3 cavity molds. The thing is the molds last for a very long time if you take care of them. I have mold blocks that I spent over 100 bucks for that required the purchase of handles for. The Lee 6 cavity molds if they drop what you want are the best deal going.