Re: Primer question

Mason wrote:What's the difference between magnum a be standard primers? I assume the magnum are "hotter" for lack of a better word?
They generate slightly more pressure (so be careful if you are at the top end) and are able to ignite powders that are tougher to start.

PiratePenguin wrote:
Mason wrote:What's the difference between magnum a be standard primers? I assume the magnum are "hotter" for lack of a better word?
They generate slightly more pressure (so be careful if you are at the top end) and are able to ignite powders that are tougher to start.
Pressure is the key word. There are some in the long range pistol games that claim better accuracy with standard primers using powders like H110 and 296. The pressure from the mag primer can cause the bullet to jump prior to the powder igniting fully.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:
PiratePenguin wrote:
Pressure is the key word. There are some in the long range pistol games that claim better accuracy with standard primers using powders like H110 and 296. The pressure from the mag primer can cause the bullet to jump prior to the powder igniting fully.
This... And, oddly enough, the 38 Super guys in IPSC and the like will even use small rifle primers to make for more consistent pressures.

I would like to hear more from BigMike about reloading the 25. I've never reloaded for anything smaller than 38 in a pistol.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:I would like to hear more from BigMike about reloading the 25. I've never reloaded for anything smaller than 38 in a pistol.
Me too! I shoot a small amount of it it my mouse gun and cringe at the cost but it's always seemed like such a difficult round to load.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:
eelj wrote:I would like to hear more from BigMike about reloading the 25. I've never reloaded for anything smaller than 38 in a pistol.
Me too! I shoot a small amount of it it my mouse gun and cringe at the cost but it's always seemed like such a difficult round to load.
Thats one caliber that I could see a progressive with both case and bullet feed being a plus, just the thought of fumbling with those lilliputian cases and bullets makes me cringe.

eelj wrote:Wow thats a tough one for me. Is 1.2 the starting charge for red dot?
Sorry, I'm the dummy. I have Red Dot on the brain and wrote and posted it waaay too early in the morn, heading for work.
No, 1.2 is too hot for Red Dot, but I should have written 1.2 gr Unique The upper limit is s'posed to be about 1.6-1.7.
I don't trust the balance or the digital scale well enough to use them solely for such a tiny charge.

I made a scoop from a filed down fired case. Filled to the top with UNIQUE it measures out 1.2 (10 weighings for record, comes close). Why 1.2? Because that's what weighed out when I quit filing the case.

At this charge of Unique it will cycle the firearm but I have had some failures to eject.

I thought adding a magnum primer would increase the pressure enough to avoid making another PITA scoop.
Is my logic faulty?
I have a Fabrique D'Armes De Guerre De Grand Precision from Eibar, Spain

Looking at my Lyman 48th it has no listing for unique with a 35gr bullet. It does list 1.2 as starter for red dot. The 50gr bullet shows 1.2 as the starter for unique with 1.6 for max. Small pistol of course, I can't make any suggestion based on personal ignorance on that load. Tiny case tiny gun sometimes things can magnify very quickly. It might be worth it to ask somewhere else.