Re: Legal Limitations on Loading?

whitey wrote:
STLWaffles wrote:Just IMed a Il friend of mine that reloads. You just need a FOID card to buy the supplies(including press).
Seriously? WTF?
Chicago rules forced on the rest. Enjoy.
ScorpionHunter wrote:
Impugning the intellect, maturity and sanity of ______________ has been a consistent message of the antis for decades.
QFT

Questions I have
What if you buy out of state and transport supplies back or buy from the internet?

I know I can go to Cabela's up the road from me and buy primers powder and any other supplies and equipment without any ID check.

Is it illegal to have the reloading equipment and supplies in your possession with out having a FOiD card?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Seriously, a FOID card to buy a reloading press? What about dies, trimmers, shell holders, etc? FOID to buy a $3 shell holder? Do you have to pay a transfer fee if you buy it from someone else? Only done through an FFL??? :crazy: Yikes. I thought it was silly in CA.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

MudPuppy98 wrote:Maryland: Illegal to reload in attached housing, like a townhouse or apartment. Which is probably 75% of the housing in my county.
Not a bad law considering the risk of lead exposure as well the fire risk from gunpowder.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

OldScratch wrote:
MudPuppy98 wrote:Maryland: Illegal to reload in attached housing, like a townhouse or apartment. Which is probably 75% of the housing in my county.
Not a bad law considering the risk of lead exposure as well the fire risk from gunpowder.
Pure politics, you'd be surprised how many things found around the house that is more lethal than gun powder.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:
OldScratch wrote:
Pure politics, you'd be surprised how many things found around the house that is more lethal than gun powder.
Gasoline's generally not legal to store in an apartment, why would gunpowder be? Not politics, common sense.
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn

eelj wrote:
OldScratch wrote:
Yep, like mixing your cleaning agents. Chlorine Bleach and and Ammonia or toilet bowl cleaners. Beware of the green chlorine gas cloud.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Most, if not all, states that use the model fire code have a limit on how much smokeless gun powder you can have in your house. IIRC it's 7 or 10 pounds and beyond that you have to have a wooden magazine with 2" thick sides to store it in. Usually you won't get in legal trouble over it BUT your insurance company can deny your claim after a fire because of it.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:Most, if not all, states that use the model fire code have a limit on how much smokeless gun powder you can have in your house. IIRC it's 7 or 10 pounds and beyond that you have to have a wooden magazine with 2" thick sides to store it in. Usually you won't get in legal trouble over it BUT your insurance company can deny your claim after a fire because of it.
Crap! Really? Guess I need to buy some wood this weekend. I am using a metal cabinet.
Token Republican.

Local laws are frequently different. I use a wooden cabinet for storing mine because it's convenient.
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.
Source:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_st ... dling.aspx
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Based on my experience in the printing industry in my younger years, it's never a bad idea to check the material safety data sheets, aka MSDS, when you're working with chemicals.

Winchester's smokeless gunpowder rates a 2 health hazard, 3 for fire hazard and a 2 for reactivity:

http://www.winchester.com/sitecollectio ... ds_w64.pdf

In contrast to gasoline which only rates a 1 health hazard, 3 for fire hazard and a 0 for reactivity:

http://www.evnut.com/docs/gasoline_msds.pdf

In contrast, mineral spirits rate a 0 health hazard and only a 2 for flammability:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926123

And finally, centerfire ammunition rates a 0 health hazard and only a 1 fire hazard, but a 2 for reactivity:

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectio ... S-2012.pdf

It's not a good idea to be reloading at your kitchen table. Ymmv though.

Powder cabinets need to be built so they will have a blowout panel to relieve and pressure. Keeping powder in a metal or heavy wood cabinet without a blowout panel becomes a bomb in a fire.

OldScratch wrote:
eelj wrote:
OldScratch wrote:
Gasoline's generally not legal to store in an apartment, why would gunpowder be? Not politics, common sense.
I've never lived in attached housing in Illinois where I could pound a nail into a connective wall. They were all brick or concrete.

Also, laws for gun powder are different than those for smokeless powder due to the whole explosive vs burner issue.

Lexington and Concord both used the same powder houses, none of which were inside any city limits.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.