Converting brass

So now that I've just barely gotten back into reloading, I'm planning to jump a few levels of difficulty right off the bat and convert some rifle brass into pistol brass. Specifically cutting down and reforming some 308 into 44AMT. We've got some factory brass and a few live rounds from the 70s for reference, but will definitely want to supplement the supply. I've looked at the case schematics in my Lyman manual for each, seems like it requires trimming the rifle brass down and doing general case prep is about it.

I have to be missing something, or rather just want to make sure I'm not. Is there more to it that I'm overlooking?

The urgency behind this project is that my best friend has the dies and one of these beasts laying around:
Attachments
Not the actual beast, but one like it.
Not the actual beast, but one like it.

Re: Converting brass

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... it=forming

The link covers me turning British 303 into Savage 303. It's a pain in the neck. I eventually found some made.

For your job I'd cut the length first, leaving .05" or so to fiddle with at the end of the process. I lubed the bejesus out of my brass then reformed in short increments on a single stage press until the brass was reshaped from end to end. For some brass it's hard to get that last little bit above the rim in the die. You may need to shape/trim/shape/trim

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

ErikO wrote:Automag...

DROOL

Sorry, I know this post wasn't helpful. :lol:
Oh I get it, no worries. He said he had this neat old 70s gun and then just opened the box....HOLY SHIT DUDE DO YOU REALIZE WHAT THAT IS!? or words to that effect was my immediate reaction. It's also been my subsequent reaction.

Books books books, what would the world be without books. From my book The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John & Judy Donnelly, 44 Auto Mag, make from 308win or 30-06 brass, cut case to 1.298" inside neck ream to hold .429 bullet. Chamfer and solvent clean. F/L size. Chase chamfer and load.
Sierra 180gr JHP 29.3gr W296. 1650 FPS.
Hornaday 240gr JHP 20.8gr 2400. 1350fps.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:Books books books, what would the world be without books. From my book The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John & Judy Donnelly, 44 Auto Mag, make from 308win or 30-06 brass, cut case to 1.298" inside neck ream to hold .429 bullet. Chamfer and solvent clean. F/L size. Chase chamfer and load.
Sierra 180gr JHP 29.3gr W296. 1650 FPS.
Hornaday 240gr JHP 20.8gr 2400. 1350fps.
Damn....that's perfect. Thanks!

Fukshot wrote:annealing may or may not be a good idea depending on the brass you start with.

For converting in quantity, I'd probably get a neck ream die.
Good tip. There'll be a fair amount of cautious trial batches at first I imagine as spare parts are scarce at best. Once we get things sorted though, that could be very worthwhile.