Re: What did you reload today?

eelj wrote:They are expensive because there were only 5000 guns made and the grips on most of them were shitcanned back in the 80s. I would get a very sore knuckle on my social finger from the recoil. Evidently the original owner didn't.
I loved mine. I trade the S&W combat as he wanted a revolver, and I had bought that one, but my dad gave me his , same model and in caliber, just a little older. My dads has the recessed ejector wheel ( sorry cant thunk or proper name) should have kept the grips off mine though. The have the S&W medallion and great wood grain pattern .

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:Nice loads.
Thanks. I bought a lot of Longshot a year ago, and a bunch of Xtreme bullets a couple of months ago in a panic. Gotta figure out if I can make these work well, or if I need to sell them off at a loss and replace with Blue Dot and way fewer Noslers. My first trial of Longshot in the 10 mm was disappointing relative to my usual results with Blue Dot, but maybe I was just shooting badly that hour. Longshot in .44 seems OK so far, but I need to test more carefully with the revolvers, so all these will be fired off a crummy rest.

To round out the experiment, I should make a corresponding set of plinking loads with .44 Special or Special +P-level charges of HP-38 or Universal.

I bought some RMR plated .44/240 HPs a while ago, and those shot fine over 4227, but when fired over a near-max charge of Longshot they keyholed and scattered like shotgun pellets! The only case of serious bullet failure I've seen yet. Their .357/125s worked well in my rifle, though. Possibly better than Xtremes, which I only realized right after I bought 1000 more Xtremes. :(
Its amazing how you have to crimp 44 mags, or the come loose in the cylinder just from firing one. They are a big can of whoop ass in a little package..thats for sure.
It's the biggest caliber I have, so they don't seem little to me. ;) You can pretty much hide a whole 9 mm cartridge inside empty .44 brass.

For me, the .43 Magnum is just excessive enough, without being excessively excessive. And nothing exceeds like excess!
:beer2:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I had 50 primed .45LC cases, so I used my trusty dipper and whipped out 50 for the Bullseye match with the same ol' load. I remembered to check how they drop into the cylinder after I crimped them. I'm really glad I was able consciously to insert that little step into my procedure. Whew! :laugh:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yesterday, I loaded 63 rounds of .38 Special charged with 4.5 grains HP-38 and 158 grain Xtreme SWC. Shot not quite half of these last night. Accuracy is OK, but pretty sure they're not as good as Noslers. They shot very close to POA at 20 yards in my fixed-sight GP100, though, this is a good combination for practicing, particularly rapid-fire where an inch or so change in the group sizes isn't going to matter to me.

Also yesterday, I charged 75 .44 Mag cases with 5.0 grains of HP-38. To 20 each, I seated 200 grain Xtreme RNFPs or Nosler JHPs, seated deep to crimp over the shoulder of the bullet (1.45" COAL). These should be on the low end of even the .44 Special velocity range, so I labeled the bags ".44 Russian" to emphasize how wimpy they are. I'll save these until I can do a comparison off a rest.

To the remaining 35, I seated 240 grain Xtreme RNFPs similarly deep. I called these .44 Special since with the heavier bullet they're pretty well up on the charge weight range for HP-38. I meant to shoot them all last night, but was thwarted when the firing pin seized up. Fun while it lasted, though. After a few cylinders-full of near-max loads of Longshot (which is still pretty mild compared to H110 or even 2400), these seem like a popgun thanks to the grotesque weight of the Redhawk.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

A dozen rounds of .45 Colt with an unspeakable quantity of 2400, after a lack of stankitude from last week's IMR 4227 loads and realizing I have no magnum primers on hand to try with the 4227 right now.

also, 32 moon clips of .38 loads in .357 brass, to show a friend what action pistol sports could be with a revolver.

Marlene wrote:A dozen rounds of .45 Colt with an unspeakable quantity of 2400, after a lack of stankitude from last week's IMR 4227 loads and realizing I have no magnum primers on hand to try with the 4227 right now.

also, 32 moon clips of .38 loads in .357 brass, to show a friend what action pistol sports could be with a revolver.
May ask what you're loading those 45 Colt hotties for? I did some hotty 45 Colt loads when I had my Henry.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I am lucky because I have quite a few 45 auto-rim cases. I used to make .455 cases out of them, but when Hornady started making the latter, I have used the remainder of A-R cases for a Colt 1917.
Yesterday I loaded 50 .32 S&W for a 2" Safety Hammerless I will stick in my pocket on the rare occasion I feel it is necessary. I have been carrying a Ruger LCP, which is thinner, lighter and uses a more effective cartridge, but I hate not carrying a "real" firearm. In truth, I had a box of .32 S&Ws already, but I wanted to try to use a Lyman Gen 6 auto powder measure I recently got. It works superbly well, but I still have to try it to load large rifle cases.

This morning was ladder test day... I'm an early riser so the coffee pot was fired up at 4:30, and I was comfortably seated at the bench by 5:00.

First was a 48 round test group for my new .260 Remington. Loaded up 4 round groups of Varget under 130 Berger VLD starting at 34.6 gr stretching up to 37.5 gr. Probably won't get to shoot them until after the holidays and hunting season ends, but if I get a chance...

Next was a 50 shot group of .308 for a friend that was so impressed with mine, he bought one for himself. Will still run him through load development, even though I've got a pretty good idea what his rifle will like. Loaded up 5 round groups of Varget under a Sierra 165 gr HPBT.

I've been a little under-impressed with the accuracy of my 7 mag, so I'm trying something different. Loaded up 5 round groups of a IMR-4831 under a 160 gr Nosler Partition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:This morning was ladder test day... I'm an early riser so the coffee pot was fired up at 4:30, and I was comfortably seated at the bench by 5:00.

First was a 48 round test group for my new .260 Remington. Loaded up 4 round groups of Varget under 130 Berger VLD starting at 34.6 gr stretching up to 37.5 gr. Probably won't get to shoot them until after the holidays and hunting season ends, but if I get a chance...

Next was a 50 shot group of .308 for a friend that was so impressed with mine, he bought one for himself. Will still run him through load development, even though I've got a pretty good idea what his rifle will like. Loaded up 5 round groups of Varget under a Sierra 165 gr HPBT.

I've been a little under-impressed with the accuracy of my 7 mag, so I'm trying something different. Loaded up 5 round groups of a IMR-4831 under a 160 gr Nosler Partition.
HI! Haven't seen you around here much lately.

With the 7mm, have you messed around much with seating depth? Some bullets and some chambers can be really sensitive to that.

I am also an evangelist for this approach to load development, if you aren't familiar with it: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#

Marlene wrote:
ATXOrangeandBlue wrote:This morning was ladder test day... I'm an early riser so the coffee pot was fired up at 4:30, and I was comfortably seated at the bench by 5:00.

HI! Haven't seen you around here much lately.

With the 7mm, have you messed around much with seating depth? Some bullets and some chambers can be really sensitive to that.

I am also an evangelist for this approach to load development, if you aren't familiar with it: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#
Honestly, haven't been around here much for a while. Got a little burned out on this place, so so took a break...

I did 7 Mag ladder test with Reloader 22 originally, but shit it in the summer. Am meow finding that, for whatever reason, that load doesn't much like cold weather. Does ok at a 100 yards (which is fine for hunting around here) but falls apart after 250 yards.

I planned trying the IMR, find a load that it likes, then start futzing with the jump within the limits of "it's still gotta fit in the mag."

But I'm gonna dig into the link and read like a mofo meow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Knowledge without mileage is BULLSHIT!" -Henry Rollins

Marlene wrote:Joel, what is your defensive load for .32 S&W?
Marlene,

My "defense" load is 1.6 Gr Hodgdons Universal topped by an 86 gr hard cast round nose lead bullet. All of the civilian CCW holders I know think I nuts, but I spent many years in law enforcement without ever having to use my sidearm. I see no reason to use a firearm at more than 8'.

Marlene wrote:I had to ask. I figured the answer would be the sort that I got or some unfathomable piece of history. Letting the history escape would have been too sad.
OK, here is some ancient history.Back in 1963 I spent a year walking the hooker stroll (was it Grand ST?) in Oakland and Broadway in SF looking for prison escapees and parolees at large. I was paired with beat cops so occasionally we would get in tussles with drunks. Invariably a well placed whack with my leather sap or my partner's nightstick stopped things from escalating. None of the grunks ever had to take a blow to the head. The cop in Oakland was a WW II who joined his force after getting out of the army. By the time I met him he was a watch sergeant and he never had to use his sidearm getting to there.

This morning I loaded a little under 100 rounds of 380acp practice ammo for a new Glock 42 I got. On a previous trip I ran some stuff I worked up to try to achieve a load between Critical Defense and the Speer ball ammo. I pretty much went by feel, alternating 2 rounds that I worked up and the Speer. After finding a comparable feel, I alternated the next step up in charge with the hotter defense ammo. I think I got a decent in-between load at 4.1 grains of CFE Pistol under a 95gr Montana Gold fmj.

Since CFE doesn't work so well with my powder drop, I made a dipper out of wire and a straw. Using a length of hanging wire, I bent back 1cm section onto itself and a pinched a section of the straw with it. I then snipped the straw until I made a short powder cup at the end and continued to snip while weighing charges until I got the amount I wanted. It worked as accurately and consistently as a lee dipper and the speed of using one wasn't too bad compared to my powder drop.

Next up is testing HiTek coated lead ammo for my Sig P210 in search of finding a cheap 25M practice round as well as something I can shoot the next Bullseye match with.

10 rounds of .45-70 with 60 grains of FFg Goex, compressed .2", a 0.030" card wad, and a 535 grain Postell bullet with SPG lube

10 rounds the same, except 30 grains of IMR 4198 in place of the Goex. Yes I used the card wad under the bullet. It is tight enough to stay at the base of the bullet and not migrate down. Putting a wad down on top of the powder with open space between it and the base of the bullet is a bad idea. Some people do it for years without trouble, but I have never bulged a chamber and I don't intend to ever do it. A wad over powder at the bottom of a mostly empty case is definitely a good way to ring a chamber if you want to.

577-450 in the original .45-85-480 configuration. The bullets are hollow base grease groove things that I picked up at Huntingdon's when I last visited CDFingers. Dug them out today, sorted out about half that showed no visible signs of air bubbles inside the hollow base (they were in the junk bin for a reason). Paper patched them from .4575" up to .463". Loaded with 85 grains Goex FFg, a half cotton ball, one card wad, a pea sized blob of soft BP lube, a second card wad, and the bullet. They came out nicely. At the least, they look right. Where's my pith helmet?

I swear that cartridge isn't crooked. Just a camera lens thing.
Attachments
casting spells.jpg

In the last three days... 50 44spl 240gr SWC/7.0 HS-6, 50 44mag 240gr SWC/23.4 H-110, and 50 357mag 158gr plated SWC/15.0 IMR4227

Enough to spend today (60 and sunny in NE Ohio!!!) in my backyard mini-range with my lovely lady showing her the ropes of SA revolvers. Holding the great but probably misplaced hope that she'll insist I buy her one of those new Ruger GP-100s in 44special. (A guy's gotta have a dream.)
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara