Re: What did you reload today?

didn't actually reload anything today, but deprimed 100 empty krag shells, running them through the cleaner tonight and tomorrow, will start reloading tomorrow. it's been easily 16 years since i've reloaded a cartridge, and the re-learning curve is steep. the press is dillon, most of my dies are rcbs, but the new krag dies are lee. shouldn't matter, but the process seems slightly different. planning to load 150 grn m2 ball (flat base fmj) to 2200fps, which is as low as my ancient hornady manual goes. milspec was apparently 2,000fps, with a much heavier bullet.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Marlene wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:28 am You should get some 175 match kings and try my recipe
i just load 'em to shoot, not making a science of it. :lazy:
i'm trying to keep things simple, same bullets i use for 30-06. i've got some boat-tails too, i'll get to them eventually. all pulled lake city surplus.

i have on hand imr 4320, clays, hs7 and win 748. i used to reload krag, 30-06 and 223, as well as 45acp.
i don't have my .45acp data at hand, but i think i used the clays for that. not sure why i have the hs7 or w748. i think at one time i was considering reloading 38 spc, 45 lc, and 357 for lady lurker, but she doesn't shoot much.
i see that imr 3031 and imr 4320 both have loads listed for all 3 of the rifle cartridges i shoot in my 4th edition hornady reloading manual, vol 1, circa 1999. since i have 4320, i'm using that. now that i'm also shooting 45-70, i may have to reconsider. loads for 45-70 rifle cartridges are in volume 2, which is out in the shop, or i could just load up 70 grains of ff black powder. hmmm.

You’ll probably only get about 60 grains of BP in modern cases, but that’s plenty. The hard wax lubes designed for smokeless wont work, but if you’ve got bullets with that stuff just stick em in a tin can, cover with water and boil to remove it. Re-lube with the same soft BP lube you probably already have for muzzle loaders using your fingers.

The best way to shoot your trapdoor!

loaded 25 rnds of krag. took way longer than it should have, still, kind of relaxing, focused, with tangible results. my process needs work, i used to have the measures preset to drop powder straight into the scale, now it scatters powder all over the bench. the mix of lee, dillon and rcbs plays together, but not well. i'll get better/faster/stronger. we have the technology (6 million dollar man (lee majors, farrah fawcwett) reference).
probably best to shoot what i have before i make more.
i haven't bought bullets for 45/70 yet, still shooting the expensive store-bought stuff. accumulating brass.

saw that, thanks. would mailing you a thumb drive work? i have something else which might interest you, and i have no use for it. leitz wetzar camera rangefinder, from back in the day. w/ leather case. precision instrument, i think. email me your postal addy (again) and it's yours.
LUGO0892.JPG