Re: What did you reload today?

eelj wrote:
TheViking wrote:Was going to load some .44s tonight but I couldn't find my bottle of 4227. It's the damnedest thing, all my other reloading stuff is in the same place. I haven't used any of it yet so what I'm thinking happened is that I put the Cabela's bag I brought it home in away somewhere and forgot although I've searched every likely and unlikely place I could think of. It'll probably turn up after I buy another bottle :laugh:

And before anyone asks - no, we don't have kids nor have we had anyone with kids visiting.
It might be in with all of your burnables headed to the fire pit in your back yard.
At least it'll get the fire going :laugh:

beaurrr wrote:
TheViking wrote:Was going to load some .44s tonight but I couldn't find my bottle of 4227. It's the damnedest thing, all my other reloading stuff is in the same place. I haven't used any of it yet so what I'm thinking happened is that I put the Cabela's bag I brought it home in away somewhere and forgot although I've searched every likely and unlikely place I could think of. It'll probably turn up after I buy another bottle :laugh:

And before anyone asks - no, we don't have kids nor have we had anyone with kids visiting.
It probably sunk, along with the rest of your weapons in that tragic boating accident.
Oh yeah, forgot about that...

I'll tell what I did. I spent hours combing the internet for some information, any information, about using Alliant's Reloader 17 for the Swedish Mauser. Oh, sure, there's plenty of data for commercial actions, but I'm not shooting one of those. I'm pretty sure I reached the end of the internet looking for information about this.

Evidently RL 17 is the shiznit for Swiss rifle re-loaders. And, hey, the powder is made in Switzerland, so it should be some good shit.

So, I took what I could from the one post I could find that actually used the military action. His powder range was roughly from 38 grains to about 43 grains with no overpressure signs. I recall that his best groupings were using 42 grains, with 1 MOA, give or take.

I'm working with Hornady's 140 grain Match VLDs. I made 5 with 37 grains, 5 using 37. 5 grains, then stepped it up to 5 using 38.5 grains, followed by 5 with 39.5 grains. I might make a few more before I hit the range (the desert). I used the 3.11 COAL that he used. It seemed in the ballpark with the other sources I consulted.

Guess I should replace that front sight (sighted at 300 meters) with one sighted at 100.

ps. If it looks like I'm doing some ridiculously stoopid workup strategy, do tell. I kind of had to improvise a little here given the dearth of information.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Do you have data on the difference in acceptable chamber pressure differences between the commercial action and the military action?

Also when I work up a load I tend to go with 10 rounds of each and generally at .5 increases. As long as you are confident that you are well within the boundries of acceptable pressure extremes you should be ok.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

There is an alternative procedure, which favors starting at the listed maximum load. You fire one round, check for pressure signs, and repeat for 5 rounds total. If there are no signs you can go either way. The <---> freedom is highly valued.

This procedure seems to have some attrition in its ranks; dunno why.
The universe - is what it is.

Sat down with the pro 1000 to crank out a few hundred rounds for tomorrows California meet up. Dumped my pre-sorted 9mm brass into the case feeder and started up. On the 4th case, I realized that I had not in fact sorted that particular bag of brass :wall: Had about 30% 380 mixed in. Made for what's normally an hour at most into two hours as I had to check every damned case. Stupid.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

While puttsing around in the basement today I would pull the handle every now and then on my Dillon. I have it set for my 38. So I now have 100 fresh loads using a variety of different brass Rem SP primers 3 grs of red dot and my cast 158gr RNFP Lee bullets. I planned to do some more experimenting by upping the charge but the other day while cleaning up the kitchen I stepped out to the deck with the Masterpiece and popped my steel gong at 60 yards off hand through the trees. Why mess with success. Maybe next time I'll try 3.3 grs.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

I won an auction on GB for some new 8x56r brass. Looks like Hornady makes some 205 grain .329 bullets that Buffalo Arms sells. A set of Lee dies is pretty cheap. Just need to order them.

I'm really eager to get some loads worked up for the Steyr M95s. They're really fun rifles to shoot, but I don't want to use up my Nazi ammo. So, with some luck, I should be loading for that pretty soon. No idea what kind of powder to use, although H4350 looks promising.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Refilled some empties from the range trip this weekend. Finished up a box of 380, and some more 30-06. Have found out that tumbling after you finish loading, although scary sounding, works well to get the sizing lube off.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Shinzen
Are you reloading for your M1? I was wondering how much of a problem it is dealing with brass that was roughed up by the extraction process. I found it somewhat difficult to trim mine.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Yep. Have been for awhile now. I haven't had any issues- that which I can't resize because the base gets jacked up or there's more of a ding that I'd like I toss, but it seems to resize just fine after sizing. Using the Worlds Finest Trimmer thingy. What specific problem are you having with yours?
- Maya Angelou

The problem I'm having is with the brass that has some distortion on the rim. It makes it difficult to seat it squarely against the collett in my Forster trimmer. For the ones with minor nicks, I run the base over some sandpaper before seating it in the collet, and that seems to work. The brass with more wobbly rims don't trim as squarely as I'd like.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Still haven't found that damn 4227 but I want to go shooting this weekend so I loaded up some 250 grain Keiths over 11 grains of Unique. Should "only" give a bit over 1200 fps but they aren't hunting loads so that should do :D

Want to load some 7.92x57s too but we'll probably go to an indoor range and I really don't want to shoot that in there...

TheViking wrote:Still haven't found that damn 4227 but I want to go shooting this weekend so I loaded up some 250 grain Keiths over 11 grains of Unique. Should "only" give a bit over 1200 fps but they aren't hunting loads so that should do :D

Want to load some 7.92x57s too but we'll probably go to an indoor range and I really don't want to shoot that in there...
Thats a very common recipe for the 44mag. Keith claimed 1200 fps is all thats necessary for hunting with the 44. There is a problem with mag velocity using unique, extended use can cause premature forcing cone wear. If you can find some 2400 on the shelves some place you might give that a try, it is my favorite for that bullet.

eelj wrote:
TheViking wrote:Still haven't found that damn 4227 but I want to go shooting this weekend so I loaded up some 250 grain Keiths over 11 grains of Unique. Should "only" give a bit over 1200 fps but they aren't hunting loads so that should do :D

Thats a very common recipe for the 44mag. Keith claimed 1200 fps is all thats necessary for hunting with the 44. There is a problem with mag velocity using unique, extended use can cause premature forcing cone wear. If you can find some 2400 on the shelves some place you might give that a try, it is my favorite for that bullet.
Yeah, the Unique is just a temporary solution until I can pick up something more suitable - or find that damn bottle of 4227 that I hid from myself :laugh:

TheViking wrote:I do want some HARD loads for hogs, though - more than 1200 fps. Something like 2400 or 4227 at max load should get close to 1600 fps out of a 7.5" barrel like mine. And that's not even venturing into Ruger Only Territory.
I think I remember you saying that you have a friend that casts, if you bought this mold http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bul ... 30-310-rf- and he cast a bunch up for you you could use 296 or H110 and find a very good load for wild pigs. When do plan to hunt them?

eelj wrote:
TheViking wrote:I do want some HARD loads for hogs, though - more than 1200 fps. Something like 2400 or 4227 at max load should get close to 1600 fps out of a 7.5" barrel like mine. And that's not even venturing into Ruger Only Territory.
I think I remember you saying that you have a friend that casts, if you bought this mold http://www.titanreloading.com/molds/bul ... 30-310-rf- and he cast a bunch up for you you could use 296 or H110 and find a very good load for wild pigs. When do plan to hunt them?
If a 250 grain bullet moving at ~1600 fps isn't enough, I'd be back in Africa - and if I'm going back to Africa, I'm bringing something a whole lot bigger than a .44 Magnum...

Let me tell you, meeting a pack of hyenas while only armed with M4s is a little disconcerting... Reportedly we had hippos in our AOR as well but never ran into any.

250 grain Keiths should be plenty for the piggies :D

Plan to spend some time tomorrow loading some .45 ACP. Just a small number (25?) to test the 230 grain XTP's, probably over 6 grains of Unique. Once I get a chance to try those, I'll either adjust again or, if they work well, load up the other 175 I'll have left.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

TheViking wrote:
eelj wrote:
If a 250 grain bullet moving at ~1600 fps isn't enough, I'd be back in Africa - and if I'm going back to Africa, I'm bringing something a whole lot bigger than a .44 Magnum...

Let me tell you, meeting a pack of hyenas while only armed with M4s is a little disconcerting... Reportedly we had hippos in our AOR as well but never ran into any.

John Linebaugh has run seminars for years on loading for the deep penetration needed for very tough and or dangerous game. A lot of the tests have been surprising to many that participated like slugs traveling at very high velocities lacking penetration not only because of excessive mushrooming but the slugs breaking up on shoulder bone while a slower bullet will retain more of its shape and penetrate much deeper. The 310 bullet from the mold that I linked is quite popular with deer hunters because of the increased sectional density and accuracy, you could launch it at 1100-1200 and have more reliable performance. Just a thought, I've never hunted pigs before so I'm not trying to sound like an expert just thought I'd throw it out there. I think Axel has that mold.

eelj wrote:
TheViking wrote:
eelj wrote:

John Linebaugh has run seminars for years on loading for the deep penetration needed for very tough and or dangerous game. A lot of the tests have been surprising to many that participated like slugs traveling at very high velocities lacking penetration not only because of excessive mushrooming but the slugs breaking up on shoulder bone while a slower bullet will retain more of its shape and penetrate much deeper. The 310 bullet from the mold that I linked is quite popular with deer hunters because of the increased sectional density and accuracy, you could launch it at 1100-1200 and have more reliable performance. Just a thought, I've never hunted pigs before so I'm not trying to sound like an expert just thought I'd throw it out there. I think Axel has that mold.
I'll have to look into those :beer2:

Tonight I loaded up some 7.92x57 - 175 grain Prvi Spitzers over 42 grains of 3031 and CCI LR Primers. Getting off work early tomorrow so I'll stop by the indoor range just to test the Mauser.

Hope it'll be empty because between that and the .44, it'll be pretty damn loud...