Re: What did you reload today?

I'm moving in the direction of the 'special' and away from the 'magnum'. Thus, I'm going to try 15 grains of IMR 4227 and 245 grain soft lead bullet. Load data says it should give about 750 fps.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

It was 32-20 Day!!
Still lubbing the Lyman turret. Cast, size and lube. Resize, prime, load, and seat.

All for a 1922 Colt Army Special
115g, RN Finally got a mold for the original weight. I hope this is more consistent than the 98g I've been limited to until recently.
85 WC, very freaky looking number. Bottle neck and flat head.
98 SWC, Pop gun

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Got my sized/primed/trimmed 223 brass from Xtreme last week. Loaded up 50 today with some Varget, 25gr. Gotta say, for $.13/each, I'm not sure it's worth me doing that part, particularly since most 223 brass has to be swaged as well.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Got my sized/primed/trimmed 223 brass from Xtreme last week. Loaded up 50 today with some Varget, 25gr. Gotta say, for $.13/each, I'm not sure it's worth me doing that part, particularly since most 223 brass has to be swaged as well.
I have got to try varget. I hear many good things about it. I've been using imr 4064 but its good to have a variety .

With the price of 223 I can see reloading for non comp shooting being debatable. But once you get into other calibers reloading beats retail. Especially on 22-250, 30 carbine and even 30-06. Or so I feel.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Reloading , brass question.

I've read - on the "internet" - that one can use the plentiful 223/ 5.56 brass, cut to 30 m1 carbine length, and then use for 30 m1 carbine?

Now according to a quick look at Catridges of the World, the 30 carb is .336 od, and 354 id. With a .360 rim .

223 , excluding neck, is a tapered case . from .354 to .375 . the rim is .378

To me this doesnt sound lime its workable?

Anyone have first hand knowledge?

With 30 carbine brass getting harder to come by, feasible alternative would be nice to know ..

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Marlene wrote:Have never tried it. It's the wrong size. Not bothering to try.
Thats what I thought too. But , as my 14 year old says " its on the internet " lol

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Loading .243 Winchester using the Lee Ultimate dies. Trying the collet sizer and crimp die versus a standard set of RCBS dies. More for my own curiosity than anything. If decide to get serious with this caliber I'll have a custom set of Reddings made. Since it is a featherweight Win 70 I don't see getting too serious with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

I'd primed the 50 .45LC cases a few weeks ago, so today I was able to pump out the 50 bullets for the Bullseye match. I used the dipper again, and I'm getting pretty fast with it. Trouble is my reloading also doubles triples quadruples as space for other crap. Half the battle is just wading into the jungle with a machete and hacking out a space to work--which I did this morning. Nice rhythm this time to the process. Did not forget to check COL, nor did I forget to bring the cylinder out there to check if they drop in nicely after the Lee factory crimp. Good session.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

50 rounds of .300 Winchester Magnum, 220 grain Sierra Matchkings over 80 grains of Accurate Magpro and CCI Magnum primers in Prvi brass. Good for an average of just over 3000 fps out of my 26" barrel as per the chrono last time I shot.

Also have some 220 grain Hornady ELD-X which are expanding polymer tip. They are longer and have more area contacting the bore so I loaded 5 of them so they are at the same depth as the Sierras and backed off to 76 grains. Going to chrono them tomorrow.

TheViking wrote:50 rounds of .300 Winchester Magnum, 220 grain Sierra Matchkings over 80 grains of Accurate Magpro and CCI Magnum primers in Prvi brass. Good for an average of just over 3000 fps out of my 26" barrel as per the chrono last time I shot.

Also have some 220 grain Hornady ELD-X which are expanding polymer tip. They are longer and have more area contacting the bore so I loaded 5 of them so they are at the same depth as the Sierras and backed off to 76 grains. Going to chrono them tomorrow.
Lined up like good little soldiers. Nice...

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
TheViking wrote:50 rounds of .300 Winchester Magnum, 220 grain Sierra Matchkings over 80 grains of Accurate Magpro and CCI Magnum primers in Prvi brass. Good for an average of just over 3000 fps out of my 26" barrel as per the chrono last time I shot.

Lined up like good little soldiers. Nice...

Easier to pull out that way :)

Just did 100 .38 wadcutters for the Postal and Bullseye matches and 10 (yes, ten) rounds of .223.

I have some 70 grain Barnes TSX solid copper bullets for hunting, wanted to try those out. 26.5 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2) under them.

Here's a size comparison next to a standard 55 grain lead core FMJ:

My barrel is plenty fast for those, BTW. Barnes recommends at least 1:8 rate of twist, mine is 1:7.

I hope to shoot the Dot Challenge tonight with my fixed-sight GP100. I have plenty of 158 gr loads, but want some heavier bullets in case I need a slightly higher POI. Indoor range doesn't allow naked lead, so the 358429s are out. That leaves 180 gr XTPs.

Primed 60 citrate-washed Aguila cases. The heavy flare I would use for the 358429 lets the XTP slip in with finger pressure almost to the first crimp groove, so flared much less than usual (Lee dies). Added Winchester regular small pistol primers, 6.3 gr of Longshot, seated to 1.58" and gave a rather firm crimp in the lower groove. These are .357 starting loads (and COAL), which is why I avoid having any .38 revolvers in my battery.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

This reminds me of something? Oh yeah..

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Rickoshay wrote:Loading .243 Winchester using the Lee Ultimate dies. Trying the collet sizer and crimp die versus a standard set of RCBS dies. More for my own curiosity than anything. If decide to get serious with this caliber I'll have a custom set of Reddings made. Since it is a featherweight Win 70 I don't see getting too serious with it.

Winner

Standard size and seat. 1.5 inch at 300 yards. Perfect conditions with no wind.

Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

I came up with a new 45WM load. I've been too lazy to cast lately, so I trolled the stores for cheap 45 bullets. I found some nice hard cast 45 cowboy (hard cast cowboy... yep - don't blame me, I didn't make them) 250gr RNFP's made by Silver State. They have only a very slight bevel that disappears on gently sizing to 0.451 with a Lee sizer. I turned around and ran them through the lubrisizer to get lube into the crimp groove as well.

Trial and error has shown that the best loads for the Grizzly pistol are equivalent to 44M top-end loads plus a wee bit more. So:

250gr RNFP 22gr 2400 COAL: 1.465" (taper crimp on straight portion above crimp groove)

These were awesome shooters. Very manageable and very accurate. No problem hitting the chains at 100 yards or whacking the snot out of the duelling tree flags at 50.

Ran the same bullet with the extra lube in the groove at 1400fps or so in the FA over 28gr H110. Super accurate and no leading (but then, I've never seen leading in an FA). Also awesome flames!

I read the Jan/Feb 1985 issue of American Handgunner, which had a cover story on the Grizzly and an article on 45WM loads too. The "first impressions" article made much of the fact that factory loads were very manageable (and about 15% underloaded). The loads in the handload section were wimpy compared to what that gun can handle... They looked like 460 Rowland loads. It's no wonder the Grizzly never took off with that kind of press.
Attachments
Shooting-The-Grizzly.jpg

pokute wrote:
Ran the same bullet with the extra lube in the groove at 1400fps or so in the FA over 28gr H110. Super accurate and no leading (but then, I've never seen leading in an FA). Also awesome flames!
Dang. My Vaquero would be leaded to the max.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

All Ruger single actions made in the last decade (except for a small number that saw fresh tooling) have rough forcing cones. This makes them lead like mad. Stainless guns are even worse, often with toolmarks clear down the bore. First task is to smooth the forcing cone a bit.

Stick your finger in the forcing cone and rub it around. Owee! Pretty rough, isn't it! Fix it like this:

Take a nice big cone shaped rubber abrasive point, and chuck it in your Dremel. With the motor off, practice the motions of smoothing out the right and left halves of the forcing cone. Now fire up your dremel, and go at that forcing cone for about 7-10 seconds on each half. Sounds hazardous, but consider that the rough forcing cone is 10 times worse than any error possible in smoothing it this way.

Point a flashlight through the barrel and look for tooling marks. If the bore is shiny bright with no marks, you win, because your barrel was cut with a sharp tool. If the bore shows any toolmarks, do this:

Wrap some cloth around a bronze brush, dampen it slightly with some Hoppes or something else light, and run it back and forth in the bore to form a tight-fitting solid cloth lap. add a dab of Simichrome, Flitz, Maas, or JB and run the lap back and forth a hundred times. Clean the bore and you're done. Funny thing about this method is that it is how fine rifle builders used to finish their barrels. Once magazines and the internet came around they stopped admitting it. If you think about it until your head hurts, you'll realize that the supposed lead lap wouldn't work as well as the cloth one.

You can also take the gun all to pieces and polish the crap out of the hammer and trigger if like. The action will get buttery smooth without damaging anything. If you really want to get a fine trigger, you need to use a file on the hammer and transfer bar after staring at them hard enough to understand why they are the two critical parts.

I have done these things many times, and I've compared the results to fire-lapping, and my way is better and safer. The fact that the fire-lappers, FLGR naysayers, and jacketed SD shooters are still alive is proof of the non-existence of the deity.

Getting the 'rebuild' of the Pro1000 I traded my Lee Turret for done tonight. Rebuilding it as...a turret press! Turned out that it was way cheaper than replacing the parts that I'd need to in order to get it up as a progressive so there's that.

7.62x39 is the flavor de jour, using powder coated/gas checked lead pills ove CFE BLK. Should work well.

Also, scored an RCBS case trimmer from a buddy who is upgrading so no more 'quick trim' drama.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Turns out I hadn't loaded 38 Special in a year or so. Finally ran out last week. I put my dedicated 38 Lee Pro 1000 on the stand and topped off the various components. Cranked out 200 in a matter of minutes. I'll crank the handle a few minutes at a time over the next few days, until I've loaded the rest of my thousand cases. No regrets on having a dedicated machine for this caliber.