Problem? Or not?

So, I got my scale set and measured out 10 charges getting the same 12 grains through out of 2400. Next I went to seat and crimp them. I noticed that the seating die is leaving it's mark on the bullets. these are two of the 10 plus one of the bullets for comparison. The loaded cartridge is of the correct COAL and fits the magazine and chambers and extracts without problem from my carbine.

Is this just something that just looks funky or is there a problem? I don't remember seeing this with any of the other lead bullets I've used, but they've all been SWCs with a flat meplat.

ETA: Here's my image I forgot to link ...
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Re: Problem? Or not?

Buckshot wrote:The round on the left appears to have a lot of shaved lead on the case mouth as in not enough expansion or crimping while the bullet is being seated.
Problem I'm having is that this much expansion just barely keeps the bullet up while seating - expand more and it drops into the case instead.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Is that the same 115 gr. bullet you have a pic of in a previous post.If it is that bullet doesn't have a crimp groove.Try seating it without the crimp and then pressing the bullet against your bench to see if you can unseat it with a fair amount of force.

Buckshot wrote:If those rounds fire you will be making headspace on the extractor and will probably break it.That round headspaces on the case mouth hence no crimpy allowed.
I used several cases to make dummies to set the dies up. Without a bit of taper crimp (as supplied by the Lee die) the bullet slides back and when I did a chambering test, the bullet stuck in the leade with only the empty extracting.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

I know nothing much about this cartridge, but... the straight walled rimless pistol cartridges also chamber on the case mouth, and aren't averse to a moderate taper crimp.

If you have the COAL right, why does the chambered bullet get forced into the rifling? Excessive crimp wouldn't cause that, it would cause cartridge 'floating' between the bolt face and the extractor. And maybe excessive chamber pressure, but that comes later.
The universe - is what it is.

hillman wrote:I know nothing much about this cartridge, but... the straight walled rimless pistol cartridges also chamber on the case mouth, and aren't averse to a moderate taper crimp.

If you have the COAL right, why does the chambered bullet get forced into the rifling? Excessive crimp wouldn't cause that, it would cause cartridge 'floating' between the bolt face and the extractor. And maybe excessive chamber pressure, but that comes later.
I don't know. By everything I've read I believe I'm doing things right but I know that this game always has more to learn.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:
hillman wrote:I know nothing much about this cartridge, but... the straight walled rimless pistol cartridges also chamber on the case mouth, and aren't averse to a moderate taper crimp.

I don't know. By everything I've read I believe I'm doing things right but I know that this game always has more to learn.
I'm sure you will get it straightened out - and when you do, I hope you post about it. There are seeming contradictions all over this project.

:?
The universe - is what it is.

Could you try seating a batch then applying the crimp separately to see if the bullet still gets deformed that way? Weird. Maybe use a Lee FCD instead?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The Lee FCD is a good thought. Not very expensive either... Hmm. Available Amazon Prime, here on Thursday. Click.

Once it arrives, I'll try just seating to length with minimal expansion, then putting them through the factory crimp die. I'll see if that changes things.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

The nose of the bullet looks that way because the seating plug does not fit the nose of that bullet. My suggestion is the Lyman M die for case mouth expansion and seating the bullet and crimping separately. If Lee does'nt have a different seating plug you could take it out and modify it with JB weld.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Ok, I canceled the order and I'll try that instead. Since I have different types of bullets to try, it's not like I can leave that die up set between loadings.
like no-one is watching.
Alex White