I need help with my 6.5 Swede die

I just received my Forster Swede 6.5x55 die set. What I find is that the full length sizing die appears to be too narrow. When I raise the case into the die, it stops abruptly at about .5 inches from the bottom of the case. It won't budge. If I persist, I can see that I'll be ripping out the lag bolts holding my press to my bench.

How do I troubleshoot this?
It seems almost that the die is not what it says it is.....I'm baffled.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Re: I need help with my 6.5 Swede die

Fukshot wrote:Measure from the mouth of the die to the shoulder with your calipers?
Not sure I understand....

I did find the following:
- the mouth of the die is .477 inch
- the specification for the widest part of the case is .477 inch
- two cases I selected measure .4795 in. (PPU) and .4785 in. (S&B) at their widest points.

Here's what it looks like with the case in as far as it will go without ripping the press off the bench:
DSC01714 (1).JPG
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

It looks fine, now that I've figured out the problem - operator error. More specifically, my lubing technique was at fault. Also, I wasn't quite expecting to have to use this much force. Never worked with rifle brass before.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:It looks fine, now that I've figured out the problem - operator error. More specifically, my lubing technique was at fault. Also, I wasn't quite expecting to have to use this much force. Never worked with rifle brass before.
Yeah, it can take a bit more oomph and lube is critical. Not quite like reloading pistol.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I'm not sure if we have discussed lubes before but lanolin is your friend. I have a pump bottle of Dillons liquid and a small tin of imperial sizing wax and neither of them are getting used up anytime soon. With the sizing wax I have been able to lube a case and for go that step for 2 cases after but the 3rd gives me the slightest bit of drag so I re lube after 2. For neck sizing I just dip the case mouth into the sizing wax and have had no problems. I believe your press is famous for having a lot of leverage for sizing and case forming with the least amount of effort.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

eelj wrote:I'm not sure if we have discussed lubes before but lanolin is your friend. I have a pump bottle of Dillons liquid and a small tin of imperial sizing wax and neither of them are getting used up anytime soon. With the sizing wax I have been able to lube a case and for go that step for 2 cases after but the 3rd gives me the slightest bit of drag so I re lube after 2. For neck sizing I just dip the case mouth into the sizing wax and have had no problems. I believe your press is famous for having a lot of leverage for sizing and case forming with the least amount of effort.
When I was lube shopping yesterday at Sportman's Whorehouse, I was looking for that Dillon stuff because I have heard great things about it. But they don't carry it. They had lots of One Shot but I've heard pretty mixed reviews, so I settled on the Redding Imperial wax. I'm going to order the Dillon stuff. Wax seems like more work than it should be, although it did work very well once I figured out my mistake.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
eelj wrote:I'm not sure if we have discussed lubes before but lanolin is your friend. I have a pump bottle of Dillons liquid and a small tin of imperial sizing wax and neither of them are getting used up anytime soon. With the sizing wax I have been able to lube a case and for go that step for 2 cases after but the 3rd gives me the slightest bit of drag so I re lube after 2. For neck sizing I just dip the case mouth into the sizing wax and have had no problems. I believe your press is famous for having a lot of leverage for sizing and case forming with the least amount of effort.
When I was lube shopping yesterday at Sportman's Whorehouse, I was looking for that Dillon stuff because I have heard great things about it. But they don't carry it. They had lots of One Shot but I've heard pretty mixed reviews, so I settled on the Redding Imperial wax. I'm going to order the Dillon stuff. Wax seems like more work than it should be, although it did work very well once I figured out my mistake.
Imperial wax is great and it's what I use for neck sizing. With the Dillon I do bulk lubing with a dish pan that I clean out and dump a lrge amount of brass in spray and then agitate with my hands. I then let it sit till the alcohol drys and then lube. The lanolin and alcohol lubes are water soluble so they have water in them, the dies need to be cleaned and dried after use or they will rust.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw