Pet .44 Mag load for Xtreme 240 plated?

The Xtreme plated 240 grain RNFP has been my preferred cheap bullet for the indoor range that doesn't allow bare lead. They do OK from my 7.5" Redhawk, but I feel like some other projectiles may shoot a little better.

Anyone have a favorite load for these? I have Red Dot, Trail Boss, HP-38, Longshot, 2400 and 4227 in pretty good supply, half-bottles of Titegroup, AA#5, Power Pistol, and Blue Dot, and a scant amount of Unique and AA#9.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Re: Pet .44 Mag load for Xtreme 240 plated?

For mild to mid range loads in most of my calibers I've had great luck with red dot. I would try 6grs in the 44mag case. I use 5grs with a 250gr cast in my 44spec and it is my favorite load in that gun, 6grs in the magnum case would be quite similar.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Buck13 wrote::weep: That's the powder I have the least of. LGS got a big visit from the Hodgdon truck a few weeks ago, but I haven't connected on Alliant in over a year, except for 2400.

How is your .44 treating you?
All my .44s are the sources of big smiles.

I'd go with the Red Dot. FYI Hogdon's Universal is pretty closel to Unique, except that it meters better and burns cleaner.

Fukshot wrote:
All my .44s are the sources of big smiles.
How could it be otherwise? :beer2:
I'd go with the Red Dot. FYI Hogdon's Universal is pretty closel to Unique, except that it meters better and burns cleaner.
So I've heard, but I've never been able to get my hands on any. If the LGS ever stocks it, they never mention it when I ask if they have any pistol powder, and although it's on my list in principle, I often fail to remember to ask for it by name. For now, I'm using starting charges of Longshot to fill that niche. The "neither almost .44 Special nor full-tilt Magnum niche, that is.

I guess I should load up a couple dozen each with Red Dot, HP-38, Unique, maybe #5 and Longshot and fire them all off a rest for groups. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. :w00t:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.