Re: Beartooth Bullets

$25 for 100 225 grain LRN for .45 ACP??? Yikes! I can buy 230 grain XTP JHP's for less than that. To me the whole idea of cast is to save money - why would something like this be worth that? I'm not really seeing anything on their web to give me a reason to buy from them.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

wlewisiii wrote:$25 for 100 225 grain LRN for .45 ACP??? Yikes! I can buy 230 grain XTP JHP's for less than that. To me the whole idea of cast is to save money - why would something like this be worth that? I'm not really seeing anything on their web to give me a reason to buy from them.
There is more to that site than just a couple of different bullets. They also sell complete kits for fire lapping a barrel and if someone is planning an expensive hunting trip they will pay for premium ammo or reloading components. Ever looked at the price of Barnes bullets? Look at the price of the older originals they still sell.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

wlewisiii wrote:Ok, that makes sense. Not a place for me to shop though :lol:

As for Barnes, yes, I have & if that's what I need, sure I'd pay it as I know of their quality.
There is a large technical library, plus they also have bullets that are sized too many different sizes. It may be costly but before I spend money on different sizing dies I would like to know which size is best.
Heres another company http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/index.p ... ow&ref=cpb The bullets used by Grizzly for their premium ammo. Veral Smiths lead bullet technology mold designs.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

wlewisiii wrote:$25 for 100 225 grain LRN for .45 ACP??? Yikes! I can buy 230 grain XTP JHP's for less than that. To me the whole idea of cast is to save money - why would something like this be worth that? I'm not really seeing anything on their web to give me a reason to buy from them.
There is a sort of cult that believes WFN hard lead bullets are *better* than expanding bullets for hunting. I have no basis to judge that idea, so I'm just sayin'. Apparently enough people subscribe to that idea but don't cast their own that several small businesses are able to charge a nice (for the seller) price for these things.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote:
There is a sort of cult that believes WFN hard lead bullets are *better* than expanding bullets for hunting. I have no basis to judge that idea, so I'm just sayin'. Apparently enough people subscribe to that idea but don't cast their own that several small businesses are able to charge a nice (for the seller) price for these things.
The WFN idea goes back to "meplat" the flat nose causing more of a cutting action and higher penetration. Also when striking heavy bone will break bone rather than glance off or stop. This seems to hold true if hunting with a handgun like a 44 mag, 45 LC, 454 Casull, S&W 500, etc. Most use these WFN with lead cast bullets. The idea seems to have come from Elmer Keith with his Keith Load for the 44 mag, a Semi Wadcutter 250 gr and 22r of 2400. later reduced to 20 gr.

Some even have the same idea using a 38 spl. snubbie and wadcutters for close in personal protection. BuffaloBore makes a 200 gr wadcutter for personal defense in 44 mag and 44 spl.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I see they have the more correct Keith bullets with the flat base and longer nose. That's not something I've seen much.
Still trying to figure out their shipping rates without handing over all my billing info.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

beaurrr wrote:I see they have the more correct Keith bullets with the flat base and longer nose. That's not something I've seen much.
Still trying to figure out their shipping rates without handing over all my billing info.
Seems most have the "Keith" style bullets with the bevel base and shorter nose. Wish I could find the true Keith for a cheaper price.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I'm guilty of not doing the intro, just saw a link to your site from another one. Think it was Calguns but don't remember. Not plugging for anyone just joining the conversation. I used to get "they came for our guns" or something like that. I agree his shipping isn't as fast as some but no problem for me. When I get down to a thousand I order more. I know he's a small operation and I like his product very much so I don't sweat it on shipping times.