Loading 45 Colt with IMR 4227

Seems like this might be a good combo: slow powder, heavy bullet, big case.

I'm just not seeing much load data in the usual resources. Is there a problem down-loading with this powder? Is it too slow?

Lee is the only source I've found for what I want:

Start:
Bullet: 250 Lead Powder: IMR-4227 Charge: 15.6 Vel: 794
Remarks: start load; min. OAL: 1.600

Max:
Bullet:250 Lead Powder: IMR-4227 17.7 890
Remarks: never exceed; min. OAL: 1.600; 14,000 cup

Any thoughts on this combination?
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Re: Loading 45 Colt with IMR 4227

The only problem with downloading is unburnt powder residue. I've had decent results loading a ruger only charge of 21.5 grs with a 270 gr keith bullet but it probably isn't safe in a colt or colt clone revolver.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

The more I look around on the internet, the more it looks like it might be a little too slow for my application. I see it does very well in the Casull, with a variety of bullets, and with a powder charge of around 28-30 grains.
So, maybe this powder isn't so great for softies.

eelj-But, yeah, I think I will load up a few using the Lee data and just see what happens.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I have 100 rounds of this loaded up (250 grain,17.9 grains of 4227. (I think it is 17.9 grains, the box with the ammo isn't in front of me right now, so don't quote me on it.)) Lyman lists it as a Ruger-only round, so probably hotter than you are looking for. Lyman only lists 4227 in its Ruger/ TC contender only section.
For all the compasses in all the world, there is but one direction and time is its only measure. -- Tom Stoppard

senorgrand wrote:Consulting my books, there are quite a few loads for this powder, but none with a lower charge than what you listed. I think you've found the minimum load.

Maximum load for Ruger-only appears to be Nosler's 25 grain max.

Given that, the load you list might be rather mild.

Yeah, it turns out the 45 colt was 20.9. Still not pushing the limit for Ruger only though. I was confusing my numbers with 17.0 for .357.
For all the compasses in all the world, there is but one direction and time is its only measure. -- Tom Stoppard

Remembering my fine and dandy time looking for 357 magnum loads for IMR4227, you may also want look up H4227 loads. The two powders are like Schrodinger's cat -- they're both supposed to be the same powder and at the same time they're both not quite the same powder. However, whatever numbers you find for H4227 may give you a good starting baseline.

QuickLoad predicts 250gr with 17.7gr of 4227 at 876fps out of a 6" barrel. PSI is predicted as 11.5k, which is pushing SAAMI specs, but CIP thinks it's OK - SAAMI has a much larger safety band than CIP.

SO for the Ruger guys this is just beginning to itch a little, but it's about the limit I would go in a Pietta. To push the CIP limit would be 19.3gr and about 13.5k pressure with 940fps, but that would be in a modern gun I would say to be safe. That 25gr load results in 27.4kpsi and 1250fps.

The CIP limits are the original for the round, the SAAMI limits download older cartridges a bit for safe use in older guns. All ammo sold here appears to be SAAMI spec regardless of where it was made.

As always, QuickLoad is software, not steel and powder so approach limits with caution and look at your results for overpressure.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.