Ooops.. got a sqib

Bad on me, I need to review my process.

Was at the range yesterday when this happened. Shooting my 9mm reloads and had a fail to eject/fail to chamber the next round event. Opened the action and a really funky looking case came out, Good for me, the funky case was not ejected so that the next round could not chamber.

Ok, stop here. Pushed a chamber flag from the receiver direction and then from the muzzle direction. It hit an obstruction. Yep, something is stuck in the barrel. That something can only be the bullet from a squib round.

My process has been to take the primed case, pour the powder into it, then seat the bullet. I've read that one should charge the cases en mass..but I figure that I could double charge them following that. Really sure that the squib came from a primer only detonation.

Doing my routine of charge then seat the bullet, not doing batches...well, it just went wrong.

Nothing worse happened than that. But I do need advice about my process (ok pay attention) and more than thahow to go about removing the bullet that is stuck in the barrel? I can remove the barrel and then need some method of pounding/ tapping it out. A hammer and some sort of rod then won't mar the barrel is in order.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Re: Ooops.. got a sqib

workinstiff wrote:Bad on me, I need to review my process.

Was at the range yesterday when this happened. Shooting my 9mm reloads and had a fail to eject/fail to chamber the next round event. Opened the action and a really funky looking case came out, Good for me, the funky case was not ejected so that the next round could not chamber.

Ok, stop here. Pushed a chamber flag from the receiver direction and then from the muzzle direction. It hit an obstruction. Yep, something is stuck in the barrel. That something can only be the bullet from a squib round.

My process has been to take the primed case, pour the powder into it, then seat the bullet. I've read that one should charge the cases en mass..but I figure that I could double charge them following that. Really sure that the squib came from a primer only detonation.

Doing my routine of charge then seat the bullet, not doing batches...well, it just went wrong.

Nothing worse happened than that. But I do need advice about my process (ok pay attention) and more than thahow to go about removing the bullet that is stuck in the barrel? I can remove the barrel and then need some method of pounding/ tapping it out. A hammer and some sort of rod then won't mar the barrel is in order.
Do not use a piece of wood, either use a brass rod or a taped steel rod. what you described for your charging procedure is sound but you must look in the case as you set the bullet in the case mouth. When I reload I do everything slow and deliberate, when I'm in a hurry I use my progressive and do it slow and deliberate. p.s. squirt some oil down the bore before tapping out the slug, preferably Kroil.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

^^ What Eelj said.

Glad you caught it without a major issue.

This afternoon while loading some 7.62x54R I was getting ready to change the powder weight on the next charge- looked at the scale, pulled the load off the scale and poured it into the case. As I lowered the case from the powder drop die, powder dumped everywhere because I'd just double charged it. (4350 is a high volume powder in this application, nearly filling the case with a single charge) All because I was thinking ahead instead of thinking about what I was doing in the moment. :wall:
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Well, glad there wasn't a kaboom there. Due diligence when reloading =).

I find that doing just one thing at a time may help. For example, if I am throwing charges, then that's all I'll do for 50 - 100 cases (Of course, this only really applies to a single stage press). I try to separate different processes and areas on my work bench. A case is not put in the reloading tray unless it has a charge, and then after the charge session, I inspect everything before going on to the next step of bullet seating. So on, and so on.