Reloading as therapy

Ok, had a suck ass day at work today. Short story.

When I got home tonight I just wanted to do something mindless....hey, I have lots of 9mm brass to de-cap. Spent some time doing just that....in peace and quiet...and later on I will citrus bath them...just used a decapping die...

It actually calmed me down.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Re: Reloading as therapy

Agreed. As I use dippers and a scale for the powder, it forces single minded concentration, not too far from meditation.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

Same here...it's always had a meditative effect on me. I get in the zone of repetitive motion, focus on performing each step meticulously, and have something to show for the effort in the end.

I'm thinking my future avocation as a gunsmith will provide additional opportunities along this line...

Glad to know that I'm not alone here...

The time that I spend reloading takes me out of the daily crap. It is a place that I control, without battle, to do the the best of my knowlege and it is ok for me to ask about things.

Mental focus...about what I am doing right now, focused about what I want to do. It is hand skill too? WHHHHHOOOO!

Oh and I get ammo I can use. :clap:
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

There is a definite meditative quality to it. It forces you to focus on the process and is really good for clearing your (or at least my wee little) head.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

For me reloading mirrors the kind of concentration on the details that shooting requires. A reflection of what I call the "paradox of the serious shooter". Non- firearms folks can assign negative qualities to reloading and shooting; in the worst cases likening them respectively to sociopathic plotting and nihilistic catharsis.

It seem really clear to me that the opposite is required, to be an effective shooter/reloader a clear mind is needed. Reloading is not forgiving of mistakes, neither is mindless firearms handling.

There is also nothing better than getting a sub moa group knowing that you loaded the ammo!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Oftentimes after work I like to work at the reloading bench -- prepping brass, popping spent primers, loading cases, whatever -- and just enjoy the process. Sometimes I have tunes on (I totally dig Ratatat for this), sometimes it's just silence. I find that often I enjoy reloading almost as much as I enjoy shooting, and I sure as hell get to do it more often.

(.22 TCM - 9x19 - .357 Mag - 10mm - .45 ACP - .44 Mag - 7.62x39 - .308 Winchester - 7.62x54R - 12ga)

I did some reloading therapy AT WORK the other day. Was at a remote site in SW Texas where there wasn't much for me to do except oversight of some simple, tedious work. Once in a while some of the workers and I would go shoot the 44 Mag and when time permitted I'd sit in the work truck reloading what we shot with a Lyman 310 kit.
We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)