Hotel Room Reloading

With my profession as a field geologist I seem to be on the road a lot, mostly staying in hotels, sometimes in an RV, and sometimes even in a tent. Much of that time is spent in remote corners of the western US, mostly in and around New Mexico. I am currently writing this from a hotel room in northern El Paso, working on a project in southern New Mexico.

Because of that, and just because it was a fun project I've put some time into building some reloading kits that can be taken on the road.

One of them I demonstrated at the first Rocky Mountain Division meet of the Liberal Gun Club, which I think members enjoyed seeing. We reloaded some 44 magnum and then shot them about 20 minutes later.

I've made four complete kits so far, and they're based on the old Lyman/Ideal 310 reloading tongs and dies, which are still made new with a limited number of calibers, and can also be found used on ebay. To put my kits together I used a combination of new and used tongs and dies. The pictured kit is for 45-70, and others I've made so far are for 38 special, 30-30 Winchester and the already mentioned 44 Mag.

There are a few disadvantages: For some calibers you have to have strong hands (I think people were stronger 100 years ago), there are a limited number of calibers available (more available on ebay used), they neck-size only so they're probably not well suited for calibers/guns which are semi-auto, no carbide dies available, so every case has to be lubed prior to sizing, it's a little slow even compared to a single stage press, and the dies won't fit into a standard reloading press (but adapters are available).

Advantages: obvious portability, using the same system that people used more than 100 years ago, and they're just cool!

We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth,
and there is a vast ignorance of science.
James Lovelock

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
-William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Re: Hotel Room Reloading

If you have a Lee Turret press, I have one of the wooden boxes in which they were first shipped that I don't need. They were designed to be set up on end with the box part way opened and the press attached to the pre-drilled holes with bolts and wing nuts. It was an absolutely ingenious design.

JoelB wrote:If you have a Lee Turret press, I have one of the wooden boxes in which they were first shipped that I don't need. They were designed to be set up on end with the box part way opened and the press attached to the pre-drilled holes with bolts and wing nuts. It was an absolutely ingenious design.
An unfired primer fell of the murder weapon!!!

That's a sweet setup. Would be great for load development at the range as well, although I might use the lee hand press for that instead, just because of the flexibility of calibers- but I like the Lyman setup you have there more for sure.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I got to see the loader in action at our Rocky Mountain Chapter meet-up and it is very cool!! Definitely helps to have some good grip strength...but I'm sure if you use it enough, that will come. ;)

I've done the same thing with my Lee Load-All for loading shotshells. I mounted it on a piece of 3/4" plywood with about 4" of space around the outside. I can clamp it to a desk or bench and load shotshells on the road or at the range. Unfortunately, it doesn't make 25-lb bags of shot any easier to lug around...
Last edited by dcramer64 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcramer64 wrote:BTW...nmgonzo and axel: you guys do realize you're both in Albuquerque, don't you? Possible shooting partners?
Thanks Doug. PM sent
James Lovelock

foghorn wrote:Can you figure out a way to use the mini fridge to get some added leverage? :w00t:
I'd sure hate to ruin its ability to keep my beer cold.
James Lovelock

lurker wrote:http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/ ... er-pistol/
http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/ ... der-rifle/
i have one of these for 30-06. add a mallet. since i shoot them out of a garand, needs a case trimmer. works well.
I've used those. They work okay and are inexpensive, but the racket of hammering cartridges together and the occasional primer going off is probably not compatible with doing it in a hotel room.
James Lovelock

axel wrote:
i have one of these for 30-06. add a mallet. since i shoot them out of a garand, needs a case trimmer. works well.
I've used those. They work okay and are inexpensive, but the racket of hammering cartridges together and the occasional primer going off is probably not compatible with doing it in a hotel room.
I guess it would depend on the neighborhood where you're staying. Load noises and the occasional sounds of gun fire may be normal for where you're at... ;)

dcramer64 wrote:
axel wrote:
I guess it would depend on the neighborhood where you're staying. Load noises and the occasional sounds of gun fire may be normal for where you're at... ;)
I try to avoid places like that.
James Lovelock

nigel wrote:I have no room for a loading press, but this looks like fun.

Please weigh in with your experiences of the Lee Loader versus the Lyman. I'd like to make an informed decision.
I wouldn't use the Lee Loader in a hotel room, it's just too loud.

The Lee Hand Press on the other hand doesn't take up more space (especially not when you don't need a hammer), it's versatile since you use standard dies in it and it doesn't make more noise than a normal press. Also, it's damn affordable.

FWIW, I have both a Lee Loader in 9mm and a Hand Press - the Loader is fun for nostalgic reasons but for actual reloading I'd take the Hand Press any day.

TheViking wrote:

Please weigh in with your experiences of the Lee Loader versus the Lyman. I'd like to make an informed decision.

The Lee Hand Press on the other hand doesn't take up more space (especially not when you don't need a hammer), it's versatile since you use standard dies in it and it doesn't make more noise than a normal press. Also, it's damn affordable.

FWIW, I have both a Lee Loader in 9mm and a Hand Press - the Loader is fun for nostalgic reasons but for actual reloading I'd take the Hand Press any day.
Does it hurt yourshoulderblades after an hour?

nmgonzo wrote:
TheViking wrote:

Does it hurt yourshoulderblades after an hour?
The hand press? No but I rarely use it since I have an actual press now. The Loader will have your hands buzzing from the hammer blows, though.

The Lee hand press did excellent service in an RV for 38spl, 357, and 38 S&W. I went this route because I knew I would have limited space for storage and loading.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin