Re: Portable bench

You'll want to mount it to a solid base bench anyway. I'd probably do a metal strong mount instead. If you don't mount that lightweight thing it will not be a good experience

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Hmm. Looks like some users have filled it up with 25lbs of lead weight. Still seems to me that it would move around unless mounted, but I could definitely be wrong.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Hmm. Looks like some users have filled it up with 25lbs of lead weight. Still seems to me that it would move around unless mounted, but I could definitely be wrong.
Yeah, the filling it up with lead was the thing that got my attention, not a lot of space..

I bolted my press to an old cutting board
We live in an apartment so no room to set up a permanent loading bench. When I load, I just clamp the board to the dining room table with quick clamps. Since the cutting board is smooth, it doesn't scratch the table.

Luckily my Wife shoots too so as long as I don't leave my gear out, she doesn't mind :D

TheViking wrote:I bolted my press to an old cutting board
We live in an apartment so no room to set up a permanent loading bench. When I load, I just clamp the board to the dining room table with quick clamps. Since the cutting board is smooth, it doesn't scratch the table.

Luckily my Wife shoots too so as long as I don't leave my gear out, she doesn't mind :D
Have a pic? I wish I didn't have to reload in the garage...

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:
senorgrand wrote:
Maybe with the quick clamps onto a real table would work like Viking's solution.
They claim that with the weights that is not necessary...
I don't know what you reload, but 45lc would flip that little thing over cowboy style.
I have dies for 303, 30.30, 30.06, and 7.62x54 as well as 38, 9mm, 40sw and 45acp

I have 1/4" thick aluminum tooling plate bolted pretty permanently to a large computer desk. Normally an armrest when I'm online, but take off the fleece cover and C clamp a 3/4" oak board with my Lee single stage on it and I'm ready to go.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

senorgrand wrote:
TheViking wrote:I bolted my press to an old cutting board

Have a pic? I wish I didn't have to reload in the garage...
I'll take one tomorrow :)

senorgrand wrote:Thanks!

That reloading table actually look usable IF you clamped it. I have a kitchen table that would work perfectly.
Here you go. Those small clamps (DeWalt) look flimsy but there are two on the far end with plenty of leverage and one next to the press itself, keeping it from moving around. I load as big as 7.92x57 Mauser with no issue.

A couple of other interesting (I think) things: The powder measure is connected to the Powder Through die with a Perfect Handgun Adapter, something I'm surprised Lee themselves don't make. For 3-die setups, I use the Perfect Rifle Adapter which is basically a die by itself with two different sliding bushings for different size cases.

On the left (in the photo) column of the press, there is a Hornady LED strip zip tied in place so I can visually check the powder level of each case before seating the bullet.

Also seen, a 66 quart Hefty storage box on the floor where I keep all the hardware when not in use. I have two more of those, one for components and one for loaded ammo. Keeps it all neat and sorted. To fit in the box, the handle has to come off the press along with the turret (they are stored in those round plastic Talenti ice cream jars). Even then, it takes less than 5 minutes to set everything up.

Let me know if you need more details. I have the photo in full resolution too (16 MP) but that's too big for the uploader. :beer2:
Attachments
2015-08-02 08.45.31.jpg

...my point is, you don't need to spend $149 on that bench thingy in the first post that will need to be clamped down anyway. 19 lbs on a rather small area base won't be enough weight to keep it in place for anything but the smallest handgun rounds.

Just get get some clamps and a piece of nice, thick board or steal your Wife's old cutting board :lol:

TheViking wrote:...my point is, you don't need to spend $149 on that bench thingy in the first post that will need to be clamped down anyway. 19 lbs on a rather small area base won't be enough weight to keep it in place for anything but the smallest handgun rounds.

Just get get some clamps and a piece of nice, thick board or steal your Wife's old cutting board :lol:
Thanks! Very cool setup!!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."