Question for Lee 9mm factory crimp die users.

I just got this 9mm Lee factory crimp die. It does not seem to be a taper crimp, but does put a very narrow crimp on the mouth, and it still checks OK in my Wilson pistol max case gage. Is that normal? Typically, I would add the bullet diameter to twice the case wall thickness at the mouth, then adjust a taper crimp die down until it was about 0.0015" less in diameter there.
Also, the bullets seem to 'stick' in the crimp collet and make a slight 'bang' noise when withdrawn. I tried polishing the inside dia. there, and used a little Imperial sizing wax. Still bangs.
Do I have a defective die? Finished rounds look OK.

The instructions mention, "The crimp is correct for the cartridge. Revolver cartridges are crimped with a beautiful , uniform roll crimp found on factory ammunition. The crimp is fully adjustable". etc. Ambiguous statement. NO mention is made about a factory taper crimp, and the die is sold as a 9MM Luger die.
Is it meant to be used in a 9MM Luger revolver only, like a S&W 986?
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Re: Question for Lee 9mm factory crimp die users.

shinzen wrote:I use the FCD on my rifle reloads and my 44 Mag, but not on my 9mm, as I use the combination seat and taper like you were before. Not sure what the advantage would be on the FCD for 9mm??
There's no advantage over one of the other. I bought the Lee FCD because it was cheap, and I needed a second crimp die to run on my Hornady progressive. I load jacketed bullets @ .355" diameter, and cast bullets @ .356"+. I thought it would be more expedient to have one set up for each rather than readjusting all the time.

We need an emogee for 'lazy' (guy lying on a sofa?) :think:
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Re: Question for Lee 9mm factory crimp die users.

To add to what John Grady said, yup I also use the Lee FCD as a last step. There are times you will feel the bullet "stick" a little, and also there will be a popping noise at times when releasing -- that is normal (well, at least it hasn't caused any problems yet!".

I've discovered that if I do not use the crimp die, there will be a small percentage of bullets that do not feed into the chamber properly of some pistols. Maybe 2-5% or so. After I started using the FCD, I've had no issues whatsoever as it acts as a resizer (somewhat) as well.