pocket swaging tool from RCBS -your thoughts?

found this press mounted tool - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832 ... er-combo-2# - reasonable price if if works. Anybody know about this product? I have a whole bunch of Swedish Mauser brass that needs primer pocket swaging. The problem I'm having is the depth of the pocket - without extensive reaming the primer is proud.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome

Re: pocket swaging tool from RCBS -your thoughts?

eelj wrote:According to the reviews it received a rating 4.4 out of five. Depending on how much you want to spend you might also check out the CH4D tool. With RCBS you will have a product that RCBS will stand behind for ever even if you bought it used or found it in the trash, thats been proven many times.
Yeah, and you won't have to, like, call somebody over the phone to place your order, during working hours. That's so 1990.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

After watching a couple of videos on both the RCBS and the CH4D, I would lean towards the CH4D- $35 instead of 28, but less monkeying around with getting the brass in there right, as the CH4D uses the case holder for alignment instead of the alignment rod? that the RCBS does.

Either one should get the job done. I wish we'd tested a few more cases when you were here, as I could have adjusted the Dillon a bit to get a deeper pocket.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have the RCBS swager and it works, but I'm not thrilled with it.

I was using it on my small Lee Reloader press and it was a bit tedious having to realign the brass for every operation.The reloader press is not the right tool for the job, though.

I set up to work on my Classic turret press and it worked better, but haven't done a big run of brass yet.

I like that the CH4D uses a case holder and not a rod. but that also means it could be a caliber specific tool and it you need to swage many different cases that could be a deal killer.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

eelj wrote:
workinstiff wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the CH4D. Watched a video of it in operation, I like what I saw. I also note that it uses standard shell holders. I'll order the version without the primer ram.
Write up after use will be appreciated.
I'm curious to see how it works with that funky Norma brass. That was a truly strange problem you had. I hope it does the trick.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
eelj wrote:According to the reviews it received a rating 4.4 out of five. Depending on how much you want to spend you might also check out the CH4D tool. With RCBS you will have a product that RCBS will stand behind for ever even if you bought it used or found it in the trash, thats been proven many times.
Yeah, and you won't have to, like, call somebody over the phone to place your order, during working hours. That's so 1990.
Wow, you weren't kidding!

Ordered the swaging kit today. We'll see.
to be overcome

drigeba wrote:I have the RCBS swager and it works, but I'm not thrilled with it.

I was using it on my small Lee Reloader press and it was a bit tedious having to realign the brass for every operation.The reloader press is not the right tool for the job, though.

I set up to work on my Classic turret press and it worked better, but haven't done a big run of brass yet.

I like that the CH4D uses a case holder and not a rod. but that also means it could be a caliber specific tool and it you need to swage many different cases that could be a deal killer.

:beer2: :beer2: :beer2:
Same here.

I've got an RCBS swaging tool and have swaged a bunch of 30.06 and .308 military brass, but am not thrilled with the set up...may try the CH4D unit.

TheViking wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Am I the only one who just uses a case chamfer/deburring tool to open up crimped primer pockets? Am I missing something?
I do too, this one:

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU8XCG/re ... xxbA4MFHFB
Interesting; that's a different tool.
I use the L.E. Wilson chamfer/debur with the Sinclair holder and chuck the whole thing. As a bonus, it's good for deburring and chamfering, too. :)
l_749004354_1.jpg
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:
TheViking wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Am I the only one who just uses a case chamfer/deburring tool to open up crimped primer pockets? Am I missing something?
I do too, this one:

Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GU8XCG/re ... xxbA4MFHFB
Interesting; that's a different tool.
I use the L.E. Wilson chamfer/debur with the Sinclair holder and chuck the whole thing. As a bonus, it's good for deburring and chamfering, too. :)
l_749004354_1.jpg
What I like about the Hornady is that it has a stop so it bottoms out when the pocket chamfering is right. I have separate tools for the case mouths.

I was using a chamfer bit in a cordless drill, but I had problems with keeping the bit level and would get uneven edges on the pocket.

If i had a drill press i would probably still do it that way since it is much faster if you set up a block to a several cases in and drill them one after the other. You can also set and forget the reaming depth.

The press mounted pocket tool currently my most consistent option.

:beer2:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Well, when it takes me an average of around 6 minutes using a power drill really bearing down and producing gawd knows what shaped pocket....part of that time is spent waiting for the case to cool off...to maybe get a pocket that works (try, insert primer, case rocks on bottom or not...) all the while aggravating my carpal tunnels....that's what you are missing. I wish I could just do your method.
to be overcome

Hmm...Interesting differences. The Wilson tool is sharp and cuts quickly, and the profile seems to be about perfect. Works out to be about two seconds per case....for me.

Workingstiff-
I also have pretty bad carpal tunnel in both wrists. Seems every tool I use or try has something that aggravates the condition.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

beaurrr wrote:Hmm...Interesting differences. The Wilson tool is sharp and cuts quickly, and the profile seems to be about perfect. Works out to be about two seconds per case....for me.

Workingstiff-
I also have pretty bad carpal tunnel in both wrists. Seems every tool I use or try has something that aggravates the condition.
Beaurr think about what causes you to need to use those tools that aggravates your condition. It is your Garand Brass Destroyer 3000. Maybe you should donate it to one of us that doesn't have carpal tunnel, like me. Think of the Wrists. :roflmao:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:
beaurrr wrote:Hmm...Interesting differences. The Wilson tool is sharp and cuts quickly, and the profile seems to be about perfect. Works out to be about two seconds per case....for me.

Workingstiff-
Beaurr think about what causes you to need to use those tools that aggravates your condition. It is your Garand Brass Destroyer 3000. Maybe you should donate it to one of us that doesn't have carpal tunnel, like me. Think of the Wrists. :roflmao:

Beaurr, you a Garand fan?