Re: Tell me about top punches

Depends entirely on the profile of the bullet nose. If your bullets have a meplat (flat nosed), then any flat-faced top punch will work, so long as it is no wider than the diameter of the die opening.
Here's an example. I use a flat-faced top punch that 'fits like a glove' for the .358 sizer die because that is what it was designed for. However, I use that same punch when sizing 44 and 45 bullets, with no problem.
Where it gets complicated is when there is no meplat. Pointy bullets ("spitzers") or round nose bullets are examples. In such cases, in order to prevent deforming the bullet, the top punch must have the same profile as the bullet nose that it is pressing against.

For the wadcutter, all you need is one from www.accuratemolds.com. Get the smallest size, which I think is .3 inches and you should be good. Heck, they're only two bucks, so you could get a few sizes if you really wanted. Should work for your .32 cal guns
Last edited by beaurrr on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Re: Tell me about top punches

Most of the mold makers also sell punches that fit the profile of the bullets from each mold. Lee of course does not. I have all three different flat punch sizes from accurate I also have some lyman punches that I have filled the nose cavity in with JB Weld to make flat punches. When I fit mine into the ram on my LAMII rather than tighten the set screw I put a small booger of sizing lube on the end of the shaft of the punch so it can self align with the bullet and die.