Hornady LNL ap spilling powder.

Loaded 100 30 carbine on my Hornady AP yesterday. The tall skinny cases with a low density powder (13.5 IMR-4227) shake powder out as the balls under the shell plate slip into their detents. I have tried the shim method under the hub. It either binds or does not make a difference. There is another video that shows cutting ramps to the detent holes to ease the balls in without snapping.
Has anyone out there successfully dealt with this issue?
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Re: Hornady LNL ap spilling powder.

Been a week now. Nobody has any suggestions, but a few curious folks out there reading the post. Well... no ideas here either. Lots of reloaders on the net experiencing the same thing with this press. Guess it's just the right combination of cases and powders. My tall straight wall pistol cartridges that I load cast bullets in, and lighter charges have not given me trouble. 2400 gave me the least problems in the 30 carbine on this press, but I have less than 1/2 pound left and haven't been able to get any for almost three years.

Since I run all my reloading on this press with cases already sized and primed, the FL die is not needed, and I added a powder check die. I think I can eliminate the check die, move the powder measure next to the seater die , and just put my finger tip over the case as it comes down and around.

I hate that I have such a nice press and can't use it's full potential.
Bud.

Tried the stud and nut thingy again (the right way this time). Still have problems. It stops the jerking of the shellplate, but it won't index fully either.
Giving up on this press for the following cartridges; 30 carbine, 22 Hornet, 5.56 Nato, 7.62x39 and 30 Herrett. All are medium height, narrow, and toss powder out. Putting them on my old 4-hole classic cast Lee turret.

Seems to depend on the ratio of the height to the diameter of the case head. A 44 special is wide and not that tall, the shellplate still jerks but the case mouth does not wobble as much. 38 specials are ok too. Even the tiny 380 is ok with the small charges.
Bud.

popgunn wrote:Tried the stud and nut thingy again (the right way this time). Still have problems. It stops the jerking of the shellplate, but it won't index fully either.
Giving up on this press for the following cartridges; 30 carbine, 22 Hornet, 5.56 Nato, 7.62x39 and 30 Herrett. All are medium height, narrow, and toss powder out. Putting them on my old 4-hole classic cast Lee turret.

Seems to depend on the ratio of the height to the diameter of the case head. A 44 special is wide and not that tall, the shellplate still jerks but the case mouth does not wobble as much. 38 specials are ok too. Even the tiny 380 is ok with the small charges.
I feel your pain, my Dillon is auto advance and I wish it was a manual advance like the 550.