to much Crimp ?

The crimp for my Lee 308 is kind of strange. I can not feel a thing like I can with my others, so I get an over crimp. Its a pain in the arse.. Also, is it really not safe to shoot an over crimped round? I figure it probably ruined the cartridge, and would not mind getting at least one shot out of it. Or would I be best just to remove the bullet, primer and powder, and smash the cartridge?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aozx6W_sXIcfunXsiVqRxRXDTdB7

here is a photo of 4 crimps for your viewing pleasure
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: to much Crimp ?

I sometimes end up with that on 30-30s and 30-06s. I back the die off just a hair and keep going. They shoot the same.

My only concern is that I might slightly bulge the case below the crimp and make it jam in the chamber. I check them with the calipers and toss them in with the rest of the product. :thumbup:

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Yeah, when I'm setting up a non adjusted die, I get those kinds of things. I look at each round and adjust. I shoot them anyway because they fit. :o I did have a crimp problem once in my .45LC where they would not go all the way into the cyllinder. I recrimped them and they shot fine.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I was more concerned with pressure increases, didnt really consider fit as Lee claims their crimps dont distort the brass .. ?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

If you overcrimp, the Lee can definitely deform things- I overdid it on some 223 rounds a few years back when I was learning, so used the puller on the batch as I didn't want to run overpressure rounds since I was running a bit hot- the bullets had been made to look almost like an hourglass.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Yeah, the more i look at the crimp i can see how it could distort. The crimp has a stop cut into the sidewall of the die, so if you had the length between holder and die base to close, you could easily crunch the brass.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more