Today's 700x Loads and Results

Hello,

Today I took some time to start working up loads with 700x in the .45acp. I used the Lee Disk system and kept careful notes due to this powder's tendency to bridge.

Before I started, I mixed two heaping teaspoons of powdered graphite into the pound of 700x.

Bullet used was the Lee Truncated Cone Flat Point, traditional lube, 230grn. It was 240grn cast from pure Pb and lubed with 1 part beeswax, 1 part lanolin, and 1/2 part each of olive oil and canola oil. This is a very soft, sticky lube. COAL was 1.20".

I started with the 0.49cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.5grns.
Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
Throw 3 was 3.5grns.
Throw 4 was 3.45grns.
Throw 5 was 3.35grns.

I fired these, and ejection was on the weak side with spent casings being sooty.

I then upped to the 0.53cc hole.

Throw 1 was 3.8grns.
Throw 2 was 3.6grns.
Throw 3 was 3.75grns.
Throw 4 was 3.7grns.
Throw 5 was 3.65grns.

The next five kept the 0.53cc hole, but I whacked the press with a piece of wood to settle the powder into the cavity.

Throw 6 was 3.7grns.
Throw 7 was 3.9grns.
Throw 8 was 3.9grns.
Throw 9 was 3.9grns.
Throw 10 was 3.9grns.

Ejection was more positive with these loads, and the spent cases were less sooty. I believe I'll work up to the cavity that makes the cases fully seal and go with that as a range and woods load. There's plenty of thump to handle most critters around here, and I don't like chasing after brass. I'm guessing that charge will be around 4.3 to 4.5grns, and I don't see myself going much, if any, over that last.

Probably should invest in a chronograph one day.

Regarding the powder's metering qualities, I did not encounter any problems that folks have related regarding bridging etc. This could be due to the graphite I added, but I do not know for sure because I didn't try it without the graphite.

Hope this helps someone.

Regards,

Josh

Re: Today's 700x Loads and Results

Marlene wrote:Yup.

So, what effect do you get from adding all that extra graphite?
Seems to help flow throw the powder throwers. No more and no less than that. I started doing it a couple years ago when I switched from spherical powders to flattened ball due to availability.

I also wipe out my hoppers with used dryer sheets to further promote static-free flow.

These are not original ideas. They both have proved out to me, though.

Regards,

Josh

I use powdered graphite to 'season' my powder dispensers after de-greasing them when new, by buffing the parts the powder comes in contact with. But, I've not heard of adding it to the powder. If it is in blackpowder, it may be a natural by-product of making it, or is added as a buffering agent. I don't know. But I am pretty sure adding it to smokeless powder would inhibit proper ignition, and create soot.
Sooty rounds are usually the result of under pressure charges that do not expand brass cases enough to seal the chamber. Thereby allowing combustion residue to blow back into the action.

The MSDS contains 0.4% graphite (28 grains per 7000) This chemistry formula has been figured out for optimal performance for applications. I'd be curious to know how many grains of powdered graphite are in two heaping table spoons.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.

Wabatuckian wrote:I'm showing no unburned powder. I was told to expect some with 700x but I've not seen it.

All pressure signs are low because I started a grain under starting for 230grn loads. I backed off due to the heavier pure Pb and lube. These factors added 10grns to the bullet.

Regards,

Josh
I'd never used 700X until this year. I got seven pounds of it for loading shotshells, 12 ga and 20. Then noticed it had applications for my hardcast bullets. I'm getting good results in 45ACP, 45 Colt, and not so good in 38 spl. (148 W.C.).
Clays has been my preferred, but availability is a problem here lately. It burns clean in my handgun loads, but a little dirty in my shotguns. That's one reason I like Clays, very clean, little or no smoke.

P.S. Your lube will contribute a lot to the smoke and some soot too. I use White label Carnuba Red, very little smoke, and on my 38 wadcutters I shoot indoors, I can get away with lubing just one groove due to the light loads.
Bud.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure"---- Dan Quayle, 1990.