Reloading for yet another caliber

When my dad passed, there were a couple of 1911s that came to me. Always liked the platform but never got around to getting one. Now I have two... and for some reason, it appears that I can shoot them with surprising competence. :P Definitely a lot better than I can shoot my Beretta M9 (I blame the sights...or it could just be the shooter). But anyway, if I'm gonna shoot these suckers, I'm going to have to cast and reload for them.

I have a Lee .452 mold that drops 210 grain bullets that I can run through my Lubrisizer to make them exactly .452. I used those for my 45 Colt loads, but they should work for the ACP. Anybody know if 1911s are known to have feeding problems with flat-fronted bullets?

Anybody want to donate/sell a few pounds of ACP brass? ACP dies?
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Re: Reloading for yet another caliber

:roflmao:
beaurrr wrote:When my dad passed, there were a couple of 1911s that came to me. Always liked the platform but never got around to getting one. Now I have two... and for some reason, it appears that I can shoot them with surprising competence. :P Definitely a lot better than I can shoot my Beretta M9 (I blame the sights...or it could just be the shooter). But anyway, if I'm gonna shoot these suckers, I'm going to have to cast and reload for them.

I have a Lee .452 mold that drops 210 grain bullets that I can run through my Lubrisizer to make them exactly .452. I used those for my 45 Colt loads, but they should work for the ACP. Anybody know if 1911s are known to have feeding problems with flat-fronted bullets?

Anybody want to donate/sell a few pounds of ACP brass? ACP dies?
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 9&p=572815#
Every trip to my range I have to sift through an ever growing pile if 9mm and 40 S&W to find my brass. once out out of three trips I will find a 45 ACP case left behind

Actually had to buy a bag of once fired cases from Georgia Arms http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 9&p=572815#

I wish you luck on your journey with the 45ACP and the 1911 will remove your zen and have questioning everything in no time.

good shooting loads fling brass all over the place bad shooters group it in one nice pile

some 1911 are weight picky. some love the 200 and occasionally you get one that will not shoot it well for any reason

some years ago i gave up on the 1911 and got a Ruger P90. its an orphan now but it shoots very well for me.

Once mastered the 1911 is the S#$^. I just didn't have the patience for it.
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

In regards to your observation of shooting better with a 1911 than with your 9mm Beretta, I have always found the .45ACP to shoot better than the 9mm. Many years ago I ran a series of tests for Gunsport (a long defunct magazine) using a Ransom rest with 3 different .45's and 9MM's. In every case, the .45's were more accurate. At that time I wrote it off to the much high pressure and velocity of the 9MM.

Hmm. I was attributing the difference to the better sights and trigger on the 1911. That Beretta has a pretty open sight picture, and a notchy trigger that's too close in. The 1911 has a tighter sight picture and a nice (for a semi) trigger.

Is it normal for the brass to come back and hit you in the face with the 1911?
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

Looking at the extractor tension is a good place to start, and pretty straightforward to see if its in the ballpark of where it should be. But if both guns are doing it, might be an issue with your grip. There's some good vids on YouTube that show testing tension with an empty case and slide.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

foghorn wrote:Looking at the extractor tension is a good place to start, and pretty straightforward to see if its in the ballpark of where it should be. But if both guns are doing it, might be an issue with your grip. There's some good vids on YouTube that show testing tension with an empty case and slide.
I hadn't fired the other one. But I have shot 1911s before and I don't ever recall having brass bounce off my forehead. This is a brand new Colt, and it shoots like the dickens. No malfunctions. I was shooting some aluminum cased Blaser, which is all I've had through it. It wasn't every piece, just a few here and there.
I'll check the extractor tension next time I have it apart.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

I've owned 2 1911s years ago both series 70 Colts and they ejected the brass in all directions. If wearing a shirt with pockets it was not unusual to find at least one empty case in a pocket, I thought it would be neat if a smith could work the action so all of the empties landed in the pockets, it would make brass retrieval a snap.

"All directions" is probably a more accurate way to describe the pattern than the the way I did. I'm going to take that to mean that the gun is ok. Certainly does shoot like a champ.

I would pay good money if a smith could make the brass eject into a neat pile.
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers

[quote="beaurrr"]Like this:
789762.jpg
789762.jpg (12.16 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
They work just dandy. It took me a good hour to get the seating depth and crimp worked out so that the round would seat flush with the barrel hood. I went with an OAL of 1.141. These bullets drop at about 210 grains, and I lube-sized to .452. Powder charge was 5.0 grains of W231.

I shot the whole batch of 50 and had zero problems other than the goddamn brass going every whichaway. :no:
Hell is where:
The Swiss are the lovers