.44Mag bullet selection help

I have been able to get the range a couple of times recently and am beginning to really gel with my S&W Mod 29 .44 with semi custom Herrett stocks. I've been using Georgia arms ammo of various configurations from 200gr cowboys at 750 FPS to 240 grain hunting loads at 1650 fps. The one I have found to shoot the best and be most comfortable for me is a 240gr lead SWC advertised @ 1100fps. I'd like to replicate this load myself. I have a Lee 240gr mold but have not had good results accuracy wise with my hand loads so figure I'll remove that variable. I have Green Dot, Unique and H110 on hand. I think 8 to 10 grains of either Green dot or Unique should get me in the ballpark. What I need from you good folks are bullet recommendations. I have yet to mic any of the Georgia Arms bullets but shall tonight. I feel like my gun may like slightly oversized bullets. Berry's LSWC look attractive and I nearly hit buy on a couple of hundred of them but figure I'll ask for wisdom here first.

Georgia Arms:
http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-44-rem- ... wadcutter/

Berry's
https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bh-44-429-240gr-swc
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Re: .44Mag bullet selection help

I have had a fair amount of experience with the 44 over the years. I find the 250 gr Keith bullet to fill all of my needs. I'm guessing your gun will like a .431 sized bullet and Leadheads sells a nice looking one. I said nice looking because I have not used it but had very good luck with his 45 cal bullets before taking up casting my own. https://secure25.securewebsession.com/p ... /order.htm With this type of bullet I feel that a person could get by quite well with just 2 powders, 2400 for the hot stuff and Unique or a similar powder like red dot or green dot for special type velocities (around 750-850 fps).

Mason wrote:I now have two pounds of 2400 on hand. Damn was that expensive. $95 for the powder and 200 CCi primers.
Woah. Yes, that was expensive. If powder is that pricey in your area, you might want to become the world's foremost authority on loading 44M with Unique. You'll save half your money.

With a 6.5" barrel, you'll get plenty of velocity with 17-18 grains of 2400, and accuracy should be awesome.
Accurate #9 is a "better 2400" if it's cheaper for you. Good shooting!
Last edited by pokute on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The two powders I like for my 44 loads are 800x and IMR 4227.

I have two N frames; a 29-3 and a 629 performance center. The -3 has somewhat oversized chambers, so any cast bullets for that gun need to be at least .431. I cast mine a bit bigger than that and size them down to .432. The PC gun's chambers are more like .430, but I use the same .432-sized bullets in that gun as well.
Fit is king, and also using suitably heavy bullets. For light duty, I also use some 200 grain Lees that I cast but they drop right at .430, which is really too small.

I can send you some of my cast 240-ish grain cruise missiles, sized to .432 to try out if you want.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

pokute wrote:
Mason wrote:I now have two pounds of 2400 on hand. Damn was that expensive. $95 for the powder and 200 CCi primers.
Woah. Yes, that was expensive. If powder is that pricey in your area, you might want to become the world's foremost authority on loading 357 with Unique. You'll save half your money.

With a 6.5" barrel, you'll get plenty of velocity with 17-18 grains of 2400, and accuracy should be awesome.
Accurate #9 is a "better 2400" if it's cheaper for you. Good shooting!
I second #9 and 2400. I usually use 2400 as I also use that for my hornet. Ive also used clays before too, but didnt like it.

And last time I bought 2400 it was $22 a pound. That was maybe a year ago?

Im guessing you mail ordered ? Hazmat could push ot to $95 for 2 pounds Id bet.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

This guy sells 429421s cheap, but only one size.

http://westernbullet.com/44caliber.html

One of the smallest groups I ever shot with a handgun was with his 429667s. I get pretty rapid leading with both bullets. Since I only have one .44, I don't know if that is the fault of his lube or my gun.

The gas-checked 325 gr LBTs work great, but that's not what you're looking for.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The powder was from Bass Pro - $39.95 a pound, but hey, at least I could get some. In 2014 I was loading with Blackhorn 209 because it was all I could get.

Beaurrr, thanks, I would love to try some of your bullets if you have some to spare. We'll take it to PM.

Marlene, "turn some pin gauges" :roflmao: How about find some time to reload?
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote:I have been able to get the range a couple of times recently and am beginning to really gel with my S&W Mod 29 .44 with semi custom Herrett stocks. I've been using Georgia arms ammo of various configurations from 200gr cowboys at 750 FPS to 240 grain hunting loads at 1650 fps. The one I have found to shoot the best and be most comfortable for me is a 240gr lead SWC advertised @ 1100fps. I'd like to replicate this load myself. I have a Lee 240gr mold but have not had good results accuracy wise with my hand loads so figure I'll remove that variable. I have Green Dot, Unique and H110 on hand. I think 8 to 10 grains of either Green dot or Unique should get me in the ballpark. What I need from you good folks are bullet recommendations. I have yet to mic any of the Georgia Arms bullets but shall tonight. I feel like my gun may like slightly oversized bullets. Berry's LSWC look attractive and I nearly hit buy on a couple of hundred of them but figure I'll ask for wisdom here first.

Georgia Arms:

Berry's
I have used a couple of boxes of LSWC from Ga Arms. They size their bullets at .429 had some real leading issues

.430 works well in my guns.

I went with Missouri Bullet Company for LSWC. They shoot great.

There is a club discount we get.

2 loads for the 44 mag.

8.5 grains of unique under a 240 grain LSWC gets 990 fps out of my Super Blackhawk

10 grains of Unique does really good but if your throats aren't right leading is a problem. Speeds things along about 1100. Peppy but not a an issue to shoot a lot with.
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

Rickoshay wrote:
Mason wrote:I have been able to get the range a couple of times recently and am beginning to really gel with my S&W Mod 29 .44 with semi custom Herrett stocks. I've been using Georgia arms ammo of various configurations from 200gr cowboys at 750 FPS to 240 grain hunting loads at 1650 fps. The one I have found to shoot the best and be most comfortable for me is a 240gr lead SWC advertised @ 1100fps. I'd like to replicate this load myself. I have a Lee 240gr mold but have not had good results accuracy wise with my hand loads so figure I'll remove that variable. I have Green Dot, Unique and H110 on hand. I think 8 to 10 grains of either Green dot or Unique should get me in the ballpark. What I need from you good folks are bullet recommendations. I have yet to mic any of the Georgia Arms bullets but shall tonight. I feel like my gun may like slightly oversized bullets. Berry's LSWC look attractive and I nearly hit buy on a couple of hundred of them but figure I'll ask for wisdom here first.

Georgia Arms:

Berry's
I have used a couple of boxes of LSWC from Ga Arms. They size their bullets at .429 had some real leading issues

.430 works well in my guns.

I went with Missouri Bullet Company for LSWC. They shoot great.

There is a club discount we get.

2 loads for the 44 mag.

8.5 grains of unique under a 240 grain LSWC gets 990 fps out of my Super Blackhawk

10 grains of Unique does really good but if your throats aren't right leading is a problem. Speeds things along about 1100. Peppy but not a an issue to shoot a lot with.
Also check out www.sixguns.com A whole lot of 44 mag information there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

For people who get a lot of leading, try putting 100-200 bullets in a plastic bag with 1/2 level teaspoon of Johnson's Paste Wax. The old orangy-brown kind. Smear the wax all over the inside of the bag, then add the bullets and roll them around gently in the bag to coat them, then put them on a piece of paper to dry. They dry pretty fast, and the carnauba wax pretty much stops all leading. Your bore needs to be very clean before you start - Any existing lead will mess things up. A lot of old revolvers get a ring of lead where the rifling begins that can be hard to get out, and often goes unnoticed. Every single gun I've seen (that had not been re-barrelled by Bubba) with a "crushed barrel threads" restriction turned out to have lead at the leade. I've seen several guns "fixed" by fire-lapping that were only "fixed" because the fire lapping did nothing but smooth the rifling transition from the leade. It's okay to fire-lap a brand new Ruger, but for god sakes don't do it to a fine S&W or Colt!

Also, please don't be tempted to run bullets over 270gr actual weight in an M29. Peak pressure can go very high (Hence the very conservative reloading book values these days - Folks often refer to these as lawyer numbers, but they actually represent what is safe in older guns.)

When old hands report that they shoot hot loads in their M29's without any issues, two things could be operating - ONE, their guns are spitting lead and shooting crappy and they don't notice it. TWO, they know what they are doing, which is much less likely. Early on, I shot out some very nice guns by following very reliable information about maximum loads. I kick myself often as a reminder. I bought a few FA's so that I can shoot crazy loads safely. The same degree of safety can be bought with a BFR, GP-100, or Super Redhawk.

Don't run very light bullets at insane velocities, because your gun WILL get shaken to pieces. Get a GP-100 or Redhawk if you want to be able to shoot any load that will fit in the case. Well, almost any... Don't go filling the case with Bullseye or Unique - They can both generate truly amazing pressures.

A very old reloader of truly vast experience reported complete nonsense about a powder in a very reliable forum. When I called him on it, he replied very indignantly: "I bought that powder in a 30lb keg at a garage sale 20 years ago..." Etc. First rule of bargain hunting: Don't buy powder at a garage sale!

I have lee and lyman molds in 230 and 240 gr. Thats about all i use in my 29.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:I have lee and lyman molds in 230 and 240 gr. Thats about all i use in my 29.
I've run 300gr bullets at 1400fps in Rugers and Freedom Arms revolvers. In 454, I toss a lot of 335gr bullets at about 1200fps because they send the swingers up over the rail at the public range! If you want a real purty gun to shoot 300gr bullets, pick up a 3-screw Super Blackhawk. The old 3-screw models were given a beautiful high-polish blue, and were actually high priced guns back in their day. They also handle recoil infinitely better than an M29. A set of 1960's vintage Herrett grips makes them look like a million bucks. Damn, I'm gonna be busy taking pics on Friday. The M29 should be treated well, like you would treat a Sunbeam Tiger if you had one.

So Im getting ready for a home check visit to my dads, and my neighbor a couple houses down starts telling me how he sold his Sig 45acp, and bought a steel Henery bigboy in 44 mag. Said cabelas only had Bear 310gr rounds so he bought a box of 20 for an ungodly price. I took him a 50 round box of 44 mag reloads, 250gr cast wad cutter with 6.5 gr unique , cci large pistol. He was happy as hell. He ask me if I had any 45 acps, i said several. And he handed me 5 full 50 round boxes of pcm 45 acps. I offered to pay and he refused. So that means I now have around 800 rounds for my 45s, including my reloads and factory stash. I think Im set for a while considering I have not shot a 45 since last spring. Lol
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

I have some pills I swaged from dead-soft lead and .40 brass that I never got to try before I had to sell the SRH. I can dig them out, weigh and mic them to see if they might work for you. :) Either way, I have a snotload of brass that has no way to make noise in that caliber as well.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:I have some pills I swaged from dead-soft lead and .40 brass that I never got to try before I had to sell the SRH. I can dig them out, weigh and mic them to see if they might work for you. :) Either way, I have a snotload of brass that has no way to make noise in that caliber as well.
Wow this is the first post about the SRH since you bought it. Plus you bought a swaging kit for making reclaimed range brass into bullets, don't you like us? Maybe I just missed the posts.

ErikO wrote:I have some pills I swaged from dead-soft lead and .40 brass that I never got to try before I had to sell the SRH. I can dig them out, weigh and mic them to see if they might work for you. :) Either way, I have a snotload of brass that has no way to make noise in that caliber as well.
Please tell me all about it!!!

That's pretty tantalizing. I need to poke around for a swag-o-matic.