First Reloading Session!

I took advantage of the triple digits heatwave here and retired to the cool basement reloading bench. I'd accumulated the equipment and components I'd needed and just needed to take the plunge. I reloaded a bloc of fifty once fired FC .308 brass using Winchester large rifle primers, 43 grains of Accurate 2520 powder, and 168gr Sierra Match King HPBT. Bullets were seated using Lee dies in a Lee single stage press for OAL of 2.775
20170802_134958_resized.jpg
This matches closely some loads I'd already been using that I know my Springfield Armory M1A with 1:11 twist medium contour match barrel likes. This is a semi-hot load, but well under the 45 grain max load in the Lyman book I was referencing. I'm going to take these 50 rounds to the range and test them out. If all is good Ill start reloading the small mountain of brass I've been hoarding. :)
20170802_194731_resized.jpg
Reloading is relaxing once you get a rhythm going. I did have one mishap when my significant other popped his head around the door to ask a question and the interruption caused me to forget to advance the funnel to the next case resulting in a double load that filled the case to the brim. Oops, that would have been nasty! I caught it though. Lesson learned: pick a time when you won't be interrupted.

Re: First Reloading Session!

I started on straight wall pistol cases, then went to straight wall .45-70 before venturing into necked cases. Neat o!

Stay hydrated if you're not used to the hot weather. I pinch the skin on the back of my hand to watch how quickly it snaps back. If a ridge stays there a moment or two, you're drying up.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

:yahoo: congrats!

Also, I'm sure these are fine, but the range of powder charges listed with data should not be viewed as a menu to choose from. Really do start low and work up. I usually only load one case at each lower increment to confirm my suspicions of everything being ok, but it really does matter. Varying components can have a bigger than expected impact on pressure levels. Different guns with slightly different bore and chamber dimensions can be VERY different.

I have had guns that surprised me with short throats and tight chambers combined with components and conditions that made what was should have been a very mild load in to a load that cratered primers badly.

It only takes a few minutes to be sure that you'll be safe.

Sorry to grouse at you about this in your celebratory thread. I just want you to keep all your fingers and eyes.

Jumped right into rifle loads eh? Kudos! Pistols are easier to start out with in my humble but nothing can get your mind off the troubles of the world more than reloading rifle cartridges. Having a powder that overflows when double charged is a nice safety feature. However you should make checking your cases for consistent power levels a habit. Powders like tight group would take a triple or quadruple charge to overflow a case so I'm an OCD charge checker when I use it. :-)

Nice! Definitely jumping off with both feet by going rifle first, the plus side is that when you get into pistol, it's WAAAAY easier. I definitely second what Marlene said about the load work up- if you're going for a midrange but generally safe load from multiple sources, still a really good idea to ladder up one of each to make sure there's no issues with your rifle that would cause problems.

Also remember that different brass has different case capacities- military brass in general for example typically has thicker walls than commercial brass- so less case capacity and a safe but hot load in commercial brass could well result in a kaboom in military brass due to the increased pressure. And bending an op-rod on your Garand due to overpressure rounds would make for a shitty day. A kaboom would make for an even shittier day.

And yeah, distractions whilst reloading are no bueno. Make it a habit to stop whatever it is that you are doing if something distracts you, and re-start the process after re-checking everything.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I have found that charging a case and then seating the bullet lessens the chance of a double charge.

You can also put a bullet nose first in the case mouth if want to charge all cases before seating the bullet.

Keep a good log with each load listed and the weather conditions at the time of the test run.

Yeah, Huck, way to jump in! Ambitious. Like most here, I started reloading with the encouragement of a fellow LGC shooter buddy and stuck with pistol cartridges. Necked rifle rounds are something I haven't crossed over into due to increased considerations.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I started with rifle realoading....6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and .303 British....becasue there just is not enough demand to make factory cartridges affordable (to me).

Good for you for taking the plunge! While reloading, stay in the moment and you will stay safe. I've come to love all of the stages involed in this.
Heller and McDonald are precedents to be followed, not obstacles
to be overcome