are aluminum cases safe to reload?

i bought a box of aluminum-cased 45acp and am gradually accumulating empty shells. they look fine but i know aluminum is more brittle than brass. can this be reloaded? anything special to look out for?
(tried to search, link to 2nd page of results got me logged out somehow with a 525 ssl error.)
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: are aluminum cases safe to reload?

YankeeTarheel wrote:
senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 am I wouldn't shoot that stuff once.
Since at least one of the ranges I frequent bans aluminum shells, I assume there's a good reason, and it's not fear of inducing Alzheimer's.
The good reason is that they would get less money at the recycling center when they sell the empty cases there... which is what most (all?) ranges do. Brass is worth more than aluminum, and can be used to make (and sell) remanufactured ammo.

Plus I'm sure the range personnel consider sorting through trash cans full of empty cases to be an onerous task.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Some firearm manufacturers specifically say not to use aluminium cases in their firearms. For some guns, like the Sub 2000, there is little to no delay in the bolt moving back as the bullet leaves the chamber, which means the case is partially unsupported when there is significant pressure still being applied. This is bad.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

rascally wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:
senorgrand wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 am I wouldn't shoot that stuff once.
Since at least one of the ranges I frequent bans aluminum shells, I assume there's a good reason, and it's not fear of inducing Alzheimer's.
The good reason is that they would get less money at the recycling center when they sell the empty cases there... which is what most (all?) ranges do. Brass is worth more than aluminum, and can be used to make (and sell) remanufactured ammo.

Plus I'm sure the range personnel consider sorting through trash cans full of empty cases to be an onerous task.
A lot of ranges sell to companies that remanufacture ammo, more money in that than selling it for the metal value. They don't want to have to sort out aluminum (or steel) cases.