Re: Wallboard penetration tests

TheViking wrote:My neighbors are dicks *shrug*
:lol:

I'll save the buck for anyone breaking in through my bedroom window, the house behind us in unoccupied. ;)

Good to know that the P238 shouldn't get past our outside walls in case something bad happens.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Good comparisons between the two sites.

The conclusion remains the same: shooting stuff is fun. ;-)

In the site from the OP, I love how it is noted that the truck was moved before shooting...

For those who don't want to dig to find the original Box O' Truth experiment, here's the link:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The test was flawed. Apartments, townhouses, condos, and duplexes you have a demizing wall between units. The demizing wall is a one hour fire rated wall that is 4 layers of 5/8 sheetrock between units. It was a better test of what happens when you shoot inside your own home.

To get outside of a house there are so many variables that no test could be applied to all homes. It was a nice effort but it proved very little.

JohnDeer wrote:The test was flawed. Apartments, townhouses, condos, and duplexes you have a demizing wall between units. The demizing wall is a one hour fire rated wall that is 4 layers of 5/8 sheetrock between units. It was a better test of what happens when you shoot inside your own home.

To get outside of a house there are so many variables that no test could be applied to all homes. It was a nice effort but it proved very little.
90% of my house is empty space. I have three interior-rated walls between my master bedroom and the furthest outside wall of my attached garage. That count goes up if I shoot northwest from my bedroom instead of due north.

I'm glad to see that my choice of .224" projectiles will NOT hit my living room from my bedroom.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

AmirMortal wrote:Follow up test to the OP, with very different results:
http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall2/
Drywall Tester's writeup wrote:I just wanted to show a picture of the pistol because it looks cool.
I can relate. ;)

Also, well, poop. The 62gr M855 makes sense, the steel penetrater is meant to go through soft targets and a .308's effects don't surprise me one bit.

Bottom line is in the event that someone decides to come into my house and fails to heed my warnings I better not miss...

I am still more inclined to use the shotgun. I am least likely to miss with a shotgun, eliminating the need for a second shot. The shotgun is the easiest gun to handle with a light mounted on it (hit 21 of 25 skeet while testing the light). I don't have to turn on the light until I see the bad guy. 1600 lumens of light is sure to blind the bad guy, giving me a second to deescalate the situation. I might not have to shoot at all. If you are concerned about over penetration #4 buckshot can be used.

JohnDeer wrote:I am still more inclined to use the shotgun. I am least likely to miss with a shotgun, eliminating the need for a second shot. The shotgun is the easiest gun to handle with a light mounted on it (hit 21 of 25 skeet while testing the light). I don't have to turn on the light until I see the bad guy. 1600 lumens of light is sure to blind the bad guy, giving me a second to deescalate the situation. I might not have to shoot at all. If you are concerned about over penetration #4 buckshot can be used.
Yeah, getting the majority of your pattern into the target does reduce the over penetration chances greatly. ;)

AmirMortal wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I'm likin' my bayonet more and more...

CDFingers
Yeah, I like choices too.
i still lust after that 590A1. The Bill would work, too...wonder if I can find a cheap oar on Craigslist to attach a decent polearm blade to...

ErikO wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I'm likin' my bayonet more and more...

CDFingers
Yeah, I like choices too.
i still lust after that 590A1. The Bill would work, too...wonder if I can find a cheap oar on Craigslist to attach a decent polearm blade to...
Ha! Just go to the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot. That's where I picked that one up for $25.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:
ErikO wrote:i still lust after that 590A1. The Bill would work, too...wonder if I can find a cheap oar on Craigslist to attach a decent polearm blade to...
Ha! Just go to the garden section of Lowes or Home Depot. That's where I picked that one up for $25.
I sense a Rural King expedition coming on!