Re: Good ear plugs?

I use these when I'm shooting rifle so I can get a good cheek weld:
http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-De ... d_sim_sg_7

Personally when I can use them though, I really like the electronic ear muffs- they allow you to hear conversations better. When the ones I have blow up, I'm picking up a set of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... c+earmuffs

If you're just shooting pistol, I find this style to be more comfortable, great bang reduction, and you can talk in a normal voice with them on.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

All my ear protection is at least 30NRR. The classic yellows are 29 and cheap, and will do in a pinch. Outdoors, usually just muffs. Indoor ranges - both for a total of 60NRR at least, but I shoot .327 out of short barrels.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Keep in mind that the effect of doubling up on hearing protection is a great idea but the NRR calculation is logarithmic and two 30NRR devices don't add up to 60NRR. They say you only add 3-10 NRR to the highest rated device and that 36NRR is the maximum achievable. I'm sure the math nerds here can correct me if I'm wrong. Still, I always double up indoors.

Yeah, when shooting indoors I use plugs plus muffs. Outdoors I go with plugs alone.

Outdoors, when the table next door is shooting .223 and I'm shooting a scoped rifle, I stop shooting the scoped rifle and put on my muffs as well, moving to a hand gun or an iron sighted gun until that table runs out of ammo or shoots another gun. Like said above, I can't get a good cheek weld for the scoped rifle with muffs on. But then I nearly always take a variety of guns to the range so as to maximize fun. I can deal.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Off topic here a bit, but what CDF mentioned, in my eyes, is the perfect argument as to why silencers/suppressors should be fully legal, with no restrictions. For saving peoples hearing. I would love to be able to go to the range and not have to worry as much about doubling up my hearing protection. Just tossing that out there.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Off topic here a bit, but what CDF mentioned, in my eyes, is the perfect argument as to why silencers/suppressors should be fully legal, with no restrictions. For saving peoples hearing. I would love to be able to go to the range and not have to worry as much about doubling up my hearing protection. Just tossing that out there.
Great point!

Funny aside: Did you ever notice that in movies, if someone is shot with a loud gun they die loudly but if they are shot with a silencer they die quietly? :mrgreen:

don1960lp wrote:
shinzen wrote:Off topic here a bit, but what CDF mentioned, in my eyes, is the perfect argument as to why silencers/suppressors should be fully legal, with no restrictions. For saving peoples hearing. I would love to be able to go to the range and not have to worry as much about doubling up my hearing protection. Just tossing that out there.
Great point!

Funny aside: Did you ever notice that in movies, if someone is shot with a loud gun they die loudly but if they are shot with a silencer they die quietly? :mrgreen:
I never did notice that! Now I'm gonna have to go back and watch some movies. Damn you! :roflmao:
- Maya Angelou

begemot wrote:Keep in mind that the effect of doubling up on hearing protection is a great idea but the NRR calculation is logarithmic and two 30NRR devices don't add up to 60NRR. They say you only add 3-10 NRR to the highest rated device and that 36NRR is the maximum achievable. I'm sure the math nerds here can correct me if I'm wrong. Still, I always double up indoors.
You are correct, I added them and wasn't thinking. BUT that's all the more reason to use 30NRR and up and avoid 24 NRR protection. The 6 NRR difference means 4 times the power will hit your ears.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I've noticed that they're cheaper if they're in the industrial safety supply section than in the sporting goods section.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

i use these, love them. They can be ordered with a connecting cord.
begemot wrote:Keep in mind that the effect of doubling up on hearing protection is a great idea but the NRR calculation is logarithmic and two 30NRR devices don't add up to 60NRR. They say you only add 3-10 NRR to the highest rated device and that 36NRR is the maximum achievable. I'm sure the math nerds here can correct me if I'm wrong. Still, I always double up indoors.
My audiologist wife just hugged you through the internets.

I can postal match, you can too!

I can't use muffs shooting long guns; can't get a good cheek weld.

Inside...use the most protection you can, esp if someone is shooting magnums.

For outside, I find having both avail is good. If I'm shooting 22 or shooting long guns, I will use plugs. Otherwise, muffs. Sometimes both if it's loud.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."