That pesky document: the Declaration of Independence

While I understand that the Declaration of Independence holds no legal status, it does give a point of view or frame of mind of the founders of our constitution.

The statement "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal" is in the head of the preamble (top, front and center)

So given that all men are created equal, then the statement of all men die equally can be deduced.

Quick stop and center, while the framers of our constitution saw men (white) as "men", given the 13th - 19th amendments to the constitution, the definition is practically (and really) broader.

As all 'men' die, cannot all all men's death be inferred as being equal?

The answer practically is no, death from old age is considered nobler than an early or untimely death or martyrdom.

As a culture we have a definition of martyrdom, yet by a different name, a LEO dies in the line of duty or a civilian dies in a terrorist 'event' this is a "noble" death.

These "noble" deaths are considered unacceptable and must be prevented.

I ask "at what cost?" Do we spend X Billions to prevent a terrorist 'event' that would cause x,000 deaths?

If there were x,000 deaths from bathtub/shower or pool deaths what do we spend and should it be the same as a terrorist 'event'?

What liberties should be sacrificed up for a terrorist 'event' and what liberties should be sacrificed for a bathtub/shower or pool death?

If all things are equal, how does one calculate the economics of life, death and type of death vs. cost of prevention?
Last edited by antia on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
less is more

Re: That pesky document: the Declaration of Independence

I think the OP is making a comparison of the resources dedicated to preventing particular causes of untimely death as opposed to the lack of resources dedicated to other causes of untimely death.

Crash a plane into a building / kill 3000 and we will spare no expense to ensure that it never happens again. Be a mutant gene and kill 300,000 and we may get around to tossing a few bones at you....and maybe not.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

The promises of the D of I are in the Ninth Amendment.

From my viewpoint, death is the consequence of living. I deal with thoughts of my own mortality a fair bit; every time I check my blood sugar, get out of breath just walking around, take my insulin, etc.

Frankly, it kind of sucks but I find thinking about my mortality is better than the alternative which is remembering my life. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

antia wrote:While I understand that the Declaration of Independence holds no legal status, it does give a point of view or frame of mind of the founders of our constitution.

<snip>

If all things are equal, how does one calculate the economics of life, death and type of death vs. cost of prevention?
TL; DR: What should the government's prevention costs (USD) of from an untimely death and how should the cost vary by class or profession or type of death?
less is more

antia wrote:
antia wrote:While I understand that the Declaration of Independence holds no legal status, it does give a point of view or frame of mind of the founders of our constitution.

<snip>

TL; DR: What should the government's prevention costs (USD) of from an untimely death and how should the cost vary by class or profession or type of death?
It might take a super computer to find out, but first it would need to learn to program itself, because I wouldn't trust anyone living to do it without bias.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:
antia wrote:

<snip>

It might take a super computer to find out, but first it would need to learn to program itself, because I wouldn't trust anyone living to do it without bias.
Snippy answer: The answer is 42.
Last edited by antia on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
less is more

sikacz wrote:I'm intrigued, please elaborate.
I am guessing you have not read any of Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers trilogy (in four volumes).

In the book the question is proposed to the computer "deep thought" "what is the answer to life, the universe and everything".
After an eon the large computer calculates the results, which are 42.
Asked to explain the results the computer states that the builders of the computer did not understand the question and suggested a new computer is needed to explain the answer.
Eons pass....

Side note: I once had the opportunity to grouse at Douglas Adams about the fourth book in the trilogy which included weak and useless additional chapter and was simply not worth the thirty some odd dollars I paid for the edition. Douglas replied "I got you to buy the book and took my cut, from my perspective I was successful"

Now if I had the opportunity to ask the President about the real costs of prevention, I might say:

Mr. President I have three questions and Sir, none of these are easy or comfortable.

1) What is the cost of prevention of terrorist events (likely classified) in the last 20 years in total and normalized to expected casualty results (deaths, TBI, loss of limb(s), other). I do not include property damage as these are covered under normal business operations by and insurance carrier. Based on 2013 USD.

2) What is the cost of investigation of the previous 20 years of terrorist events (public and classified) in total and normalized by casualty (or anticipated) results. Based on 2013 USD.

3) What are the costs to the public of all successful terrorist events of the previous 20 years in total and ormalized to expected casualty results (deaths, TBI, loss of limb(s), other). Based on 2013 USD.

Sir, with all due respect I wish to understand the return on investment from the perspective as a US citizen, taxpayer and an individual who voted for you in two Presidential elections and wish to understand ROI on the Government's investments for the above three activities.
less is more