So you have a list but....

So you have a list of the firearms you want, the budgets are set, the numbers all crunched. However, the question remains how does one go about completing the list? In days ago one would merely purchase whichever one the best deal could be had on at the time, but due to the internet deals on most all of them can be had at a “deal” at any given time. A random selection process lacks the finesse and satisfaction of a well thought out plan.
Possible plans:

1) Price ascending, this would start of the renewed collecting era with an unusually high numerical increase at the beginning and slowly taper toward the end. The sudden influx of completion would allow for that happy instant gratification feeling, but as things are many of the best items are priced higher.

2) Price descending, This would start the process off slower but would get the troublesome ones out early, the best ones would already be had while getting the rest, however “the rest” would only come after a slog.

3) By manufacturer, this would allow a more even spreading of high and low priced items, with the price deferential would ebb and flow as one manufacture is completed and another is started. However, the acquisition of a single manufacturer at a time would easily lead to a fanboy status. It also begs two important questions, in what order do the manufacturers go, and in what order are they acquired within the manufacturer.

4) Chronological order, this would very evenly spread the prices, but could be problematic in that the satisfaction of completing one group of the collection would be delayed until the end, when they would all complete at about the same time.

5) Alphanumerical order, this would also evenly spread out the prices, but with each item often having several different designations which to pick, and would suffer similar problems as chronological order.

6) Country of origin, this would spread things out a bit but which order for the countries, and what order within the countries. This would also create a proverbial 500lb gorilla, as one country seems to be far more industrious than the other.

7) The grand unknown and ever elusive methodology that would alleviate all the problems, let’s call it the unified theory. (You get to propose a new methodology)

So which would you chose and why?
Pompous, with a touch of elitism.

Re: So you have a list but....

Much of what is called "luck" is the ability to recognize opportunity.
  • Know what you want, how to spot it, and what the going rate is.
    Have adequate cash on hand.
    Keep your eyes open.
    Pounce when the opportunity presents itself.
    Enjoy the congratulations for your "luck."
This applies to collecting pretty much any damn thing.
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

I have spread my purchases out over Country of Manufacture.

But I think my next purchase (in a year or so) will be back to Germany because I love the Sig's so much.

Unlike a lot here, I currently have only a 9mm collection and see that trend continuing. This actually has me at some what of an advantage (I think) as I have a much narrower focus on the firearms to add.
Texan Liberal interested in guns

My "list" is merely the shiny object that interests me when I have cash on hand to buy it with....... I am so disorganized about it. I did attempt to standardize on two calibers, but that's all out the window.

Agreed with the above comments on opportunity. When you find an opportunity to get something you covet, go for it if it won't put you on the street. (Because of money or wife)

Adding to my randomness, I did start with some of the most common/ones I wanted for home/personal defense first. Those I count as lifetime purchases. Others may come and go into the collection, but the basics for me first.

Oooh. Look. a shiny object! Squirrel!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

The parameters for my collection are "9x19mm Western European service firearms (excluding Spain, and the Nordic countries), and post WWII Western European (excluding Spain, France and the Nordic countries) front line infantry rifles".

I have my absolute must haves, so I desire to get into my wants. Due to some recent decisions and circumstances, I will be able to greatly accelerate the pace of completion. Hence the need for a properly laid plan.

My previous collecting experience have let me know all the little holes to look in, so I can dig up just about anything on the list at a slightly better than fair price at will.
Last edited by Nato on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwampGrouch wrote:Much of what is called "luck" is the ability to recognize opportunity.
  • Know what you want, how to spot it, and what the going rate is.
    Have adequate cash on hand.
    Keep your eyes open.
    Pounce when the opportunity presents itself.
    Enjoy the congratulations for your "luck."
This applies to collecting pretty much any damn thing.
^This is my mission statement. :thumbup:

Its not just owning a certain item but a slew of factors. A hell of a deal is near the top of the list.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

senorgrand wrote:In that case, hit boards like calguns. Once in awhile, a collector will dump a batch of rifles. You could get quite a good deal by buying a lot, rather than indv.
The rifles are the easy part, I can build most of those. I already have a number of the kits stock piled, from the before time.

I have a long list of firearms I keep an eye open for hoping to find one at a price I can afford. They range from cheap to obscene and usually aren't the kinds of things that show up around here.

The Short List:
Browning Baby Browning .25ACP
Parker VH or DH 16 gauge
S&W K frame .38 Special, 3" If possible.
S&W Perfected .38 S&W
A Drilling (2x16 over 9.3x74R preferred)
Ithaca M37 20 gauge
Ithaca NID 12 or 16 gauge
Ruger #1 RSI 7x57
US Rifle M1917 (Eddystone)
Rossi 92 clone .45 Colt

And so on. There's not a whole lot of rhyme or reason to it but life is like that :lol:

At least I have that hex Mosin on hold for me :cool:
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

Rare things only get rarer. Expensive things (especially in the vein you are shopping) tend only to get more expensive. Opportunities on some things will last longer than others.

My M1 Carbine would have been several hundred bucks (or more) cheaper 10 years ago. I can now buy a Mosin for less than 50 bucks more than I could then, and less than 100 bucks more for the oddball incarnations. the percentage increase on the Mosin price is much higher, but many fewer dollars.

That should be your organizing principle, tempered by patience and opportunity.

Fukshot wrote:Rare things only get rarer. Expensive things (especially in the vein you are shopping) tend only to get more expensive. Opportunities on some things will last longer than others.
And having a Time Machine or MagicPixieDust™ to travel to the Weird Gun Parallel Universe you visit now and again. Where you find some of those guns...

There's only one on my holy grail list; Lahti L-35 (not to be confused with Swedish L-40). But, I fear cost and availability will save me a bundle, which I don't have anyway. Otherwise I like 9mm (Luger) semi-automatics, rifles with character (7.62x53R or 7.62x54R), Finnish Mosin-Nagant M28/76 lefty, or a SAKO Finnfire Range P94S lefty. That's my short list....plus just more Mosins! :beer2:...and CZ's! :love:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

We're having a garage sale this weekend, so I found myself doing inventory of my receivers, bolts, and associated parts. I have a very nice sequence of projects piled up. I'm quite satisfied with them. And I am still doing the finishing touches on my last three.

When I have the cash on hand that's not devoted to projects, from time to time a collectible shows up and I snag it. But the more I build, the less exciting becomes mere collecting. I really like builds. The last down the road I settled on today, when I put a short action Mauser with its new bolt. Neat.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Like Shinzen, I've never really thought in terms of a wish list.

I've built my modest collection by obsessing about one purchase at a time. Get a bug, often by reading something on this forum. Then research. Then shop, online and/or locally. Then buy.

Then shoot the hell out of it. Then, maybe a year or so later, move on to the next obsession.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

My operating guidelines are:

1. Will it become hard to find or very expensive if I let it pass me by now?
2. How much use will I get out of it? (Can I use it in competition? Is the ammo relatively inexpensive? Will I be able to take it out to the range a lot?)
3. Does it let me do something new? (A novel action? A new type of competition I want to get into?)
4. Fun-factor

Based on these principles, my next purchases will be:
* A Coyote Cap 1887 Lever 12 ga. He's semi-retired and has the patent on a drop 2 mod for these shotguns that still allows you to load the mag without parts changes. Going to be hard to find, so snatching one up as soon as I see it. (satisfies 1,2,3,4- hard to find, I don't have any lever guns, and starts me towards Cowboy Action)
* A Beretta 1301 12 ga.(satisfies 2,3- I've got my pistol and rifle for 3-gun tactical optics class, just need a semi-auto shotgun )
* A Long Hunter worked Taylors & Co 1873 winchester in .357 (satisfies 2,3,4- will be first lever action rifle, gets me closer to Cowboy Action)
* A pair of Taylors & Co Schofields 7" (satisfies 2,3- will be first revolvers, will finish me off for Cowboy Action)

After those purchases, combined with what I already have, I'll firearms of every type of action I'm interested except pump and be geared up for USPSA, IDPA, Practical Rifle, 3-gun, Cowboy Action, Silhouette, Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays.... probably some other things I'm forgetting.

After that I'll just have to focus on keeping them all fed.
My calibers will be .22, 9mm, .357/38sp, .223, 12ga.

I have a number of other 'wishlist' firearms - but most of those don't really let me do anything new and that's really what gets me excited.
Secretary of Oregon LGC and LGC Instructor
Cowboy Action Shooting Alias: Jabber Walk.
Member, TCGC. | Firearm Safety
Paid your dues? | Subscribe to your local thread.

bigmike0301 wrote:
Fukshot wrote:Rare things only get rarer. Expensive things (especially in the vein you are shopping) tend only to get more expensive. Opportunities on some things will last longer than others.
And having a Time Machine or MagicPixieDust™ to travel to the Weird Gun Parallel Universe you visit now and again. Where you find some of those guns...
It is very helpful that the guy at the LGS is a weirdo and I have been making it clear to him for many years that I'm a weirdo. When he finds weird shit for cheap, he knows he might actually sell it and if not, he gets to keep it.

My finances yell rather loudly, "Nothing for a while,'" but a voice in my head tells me there's an SKS looking for me out there. Impatiently. I think their prices - especially the Russians - are going nowhere but up. I'll probably get a Yugo or a Chinese slave factory Norinco soon. If and when I'm finally gainfully employed again in my profession, I'll get a Russian 1954.

After that, perhaps a shotgun for HD and maybe a .22 pistol or rifle so I can spend more than an hour at the range before I'm broke and out of ammo. But from what I've been reading, that can wait awhile. Shotguns and .22s are not going up much.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

My current plan is as follows:

1. Pay off the Sigma on Layaway
1.5 Get ASM 1858 Remington steel frame in .44 (might get the Stainless one instead!)
2. Get .38 special/375 magnum revolver (classroom/training gun)
3. Get Rock Island M5 pump gun
4. Build shorty 5.56 upper and 300BLK upper for AR.
5. Get Rock Island tactical 1911
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I might be looking at this slightly different because if it was not for hunting I would not own a gun at all.

Starting out, it's all about priority for me - what do you do the most and what can you borrow / not borrow from someone.

From a price standpoint you really can't afford the best starting out because you have multiple needs to fill; you are probably looking for entry level pieces that are made well. Then when you have most of your holes filled, you can start looking at better quality.

At age 31, I find myself fairly well stocked with 13 guns. 4 of those (maybe 5), I will always keep because sentimental value / I really like them. I'd keep another 3 because they were so cheap they make good display pieces (blackpowder handguns) and value is only about $200 total. The rest I would consider getting rid of - trading up in quality for the same type of product.

I also think if there is something crazy you want, you better get it early in life before you are tied down to more important commitments. I find myself getting married next year and I still have an entry level shotgun and deer rifle that I'm not entirely happy with using the rest of my life. That can be $2000 :see_stars: I'm going to get 1 of those as a marriage gift and 1 I'll have to see about getting in a couple years before kids drain my wallet and soul. :weep:

sikacz wrote:There's only one on my holy grail list; Lahti L-35 (not to be confused with Swedish L-40). But, I fear cost and availability will save me a bundle, which I don't have anyway. Otherwise I like 9mm (Luger) semi-automatics, rifles with character (7.62x53R or 7.62x54R), Finnish Mosin-Nagant M28/76 lefty, or a SAKO Finnfire Range P94S lefty. That's my short list....plus just more Mosins! :beer2:...and CZ's! :love:
As far a priority:
1. Available money in squirrel fund.
2. If any of my items are available.
:bananadance:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote:There's only one on my holy grail list; Lahti L-35 (not to be confused with Swedish L-40). But, I fear cost and availability will save me a bundle, which I don't have anyway. Otherwise I like 9mm (Luger) semi-automatics, rifles with character (7.62x53R or 7.62x54R), Finnish Mosin-Nagant M28/76 lefty, or a SAKO Finnfire Range P94S lefty. That's my short list....plus just more Mosins! :beer2:...and CZ's! :love:
No Lahtis here in MO, DD's are illegal. Sad, I'd LOVE to have a 20mm anti-tank rifle that is on skis. :D
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

ErikO wrote:
No Lahtis here in MO, DD's are illegal. Sad, I'd LOVE to have a 20mm anti-tank rifle that is on skis. :D
Wouldn't mind firering the anti tank Lahti, but this is what I'd want:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahti_L-35 Around 9000 were made. Here's a link with better info, but you have to scroll down:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/PISTOLS1.htm