Re: Newb shooter needs

KnightsFan wrote:
I was already tempted by those, glad to know they do actually work.

Would y'all recommend getting a single bag large enough to hold everything?
The range bags that ErikO has a deal on are GTG. Enough space for ammo/pistols/targets/safety gear. I did add a messenger bag shoulder pad from Amazon cause I'm a wuss.

I do agree in principle with SG, although I do have a couple of obvious rifle bags.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:Oh, I also think that a rifle case would fit easily into a soft guitar case. Just use cardboard to fill-out the rounded bits. You can even leave the fake shell in the car when going to the range.
Um, people steal guitars too!

OK, there might be other reasons to disguise a gun case. Like carrying it through a hotel lobby.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

A lot of ground has already been well covered.

I like to use CLP, it stands for clean, lube, protect.

yeah, eyes and ears. I get safety glasses from work and foam plugs too, but I like my muffs and my Bro got me a sweet pair of shooting glasses which are certainly an upgrade to plain old safety glasses. (But that's not a priority)

Bore snake! saving so much time/effort! (I use the boresnake I bought for my AR on all of my .22's)

As for climate control in the great state of florida, just be sure to keep oil on your firearms. There is no escape from the humidity (short of some serious investment in Climate controlled safe) so just be sure to take out your gun and oil it if you're not using it that often. Or, I understand cosmoline is pretty cheap for firearm preservation.

There is a range in Punta Gorda called Cecil Webb Public shooting range. $6 all day long, 5,10, 25, 50,100,200 yd ranges. If you'd like to meet there sometime, I often go on the weekends.
E pluribus unum

Looking back at my learning, I'm going to also second the importance of a great instructor.

Having a dedicated learning range, where you can alternate between shooting and then getting feedback/learning without the hearing protection on is awesome, if you can find it.

Shooting leagues, or advanced classes are great too, once you get past raw beginner.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

Both. ht so far I think I've got an idea.
  • Bore Snake
    Large range bag
    Ears(liberated eyes from former job)
    Frog lube
    Safe
    Snapcaps
    Toothpicks/rod/patches/brushes/qtips
    Mag loader
That a good list? Any advice on specific brands or items?

And Ed if I ever find myself in that part of the State I'll hit you up on that. Embarrassingly the furthest South I've been is about St. Pete. Us Jax folks tend to avoid the land of Buicks and Botox.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

senorgrand wrote: A set of brushes (nylon and soft brass) for gun cleaning.
I really like the montana x-treme nylons. They last forever.
senorgrand wrote:Oh, a good set of screwdrivers and a set of punches.
Ya. Best money I spent was on a set of hollow-ground screwdrivers. I hate gooked up screws.

And, if for some reason, you bring home a Mosin, get a screw-on rubber buttpad.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I like cleaning with compressed air also is good for other things.
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Most guns will go a good long while (hundreds and hundreds of rounds) without needing to be cleaned. So you will need a cleaning kit, but if resources are super tight, you don't need it immediately.

But if you do hearing damage or eye damage, that's the end of that. So, for me, eye and ear come right after firearm and ammo. In fact, since we started renting before purchasing a firearm, they came first. And where we shot wouldn't even let you into the range without eyes and ears, but I had no interest in using 'loaners'. Ick. You don't have to be super fancy here, the roll up foam ear plugs are cheap, and a pair of safety glasses at a hardware store are like $5. Now, this isn't 'high speed' stuff, but will get you started.

As for locks.. I certainly agree, but most (maybe even ALL) new firearms come with locks. If you have children, then a safe to store the firearm in jumps up in priority. Still a good idea, even without kids.

I'm with the notion of getting a 'stealth' bag. No gun markings. I think our range bag is a duffle bag my hubby got at a library conference. You can probably find a used duffle bag of some sort at a local Goodwill or the like for $3-$5. Again, it might not be cool, but it will get you started.

Something no one mentioned, and it's a small but important addition is a Sharpie Marker. When you pull down your target, mark the range you're shooting at and date. When we were renting pistols for testing, we also wrote down which pistol was used for which group. This will give you a record with dates to show improvements in marksmanship.

Most of the stuff I mentioned is pretty darn inexpensive.

A roll of masking tape for pasting up targets or covering holes to reuse targets.

Two rags, one for your gun and one for yourself.

If you're going to shoot steel, then a basic first aid kit with bandaids, 2" square gauze, antibiotic cream, bug spray, anti-itch stick or lotion, sun block.

So much help!

I ended up purchasing my gear over the last week, gun included but can't get that until Saturday.

Settled on a small cleaning kit, multiple brushes (nylon, heated nylon, copper), Frog Lube, patches, Snapcaps, and a Blackhawk sportster bag.

Tomorrow I'll head to Walmart and pick up ear protection and new eye protection, current pair of all torn up.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Well, since I'm late to the show, and everyone else has listed all the goodies you might need, I'll add my $.02.

A large tackle box.

They have lots and lots of small compartments that are great for keeping your numerous small items separate and organized. As you acquire more calibers, you'll need more cleaning items, and keeping them separate will make things much easier.