Newb shooter needs

I'm putting my question before the collective, what sort of equipment should a new shooter purchase, besides the gun?

Right now I'm thinking a cleaning kit, a small pistol rug/bag and ear protection, any other suggestions or brand recommendations? I'll be starting with a pistol.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

Re: Newb shooter needs

You can't really buy all you need. The ear protection is a must. I think a bore snake is better than the fanciest cleaning kit.

Start reading up on your brand and caliber. This is a hobby like all others and there's crap on the shelves that are unneeded but sound great.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Lube and cleaner aren't always the same thing. I prefer the ones that do one thing well per product.

Second on the bore snake.

A box of Q-tips.

A solidly built bag that comfortably carries hearing protection, cased pistol, ammo, cleaning crap and lunch and an extra sweater.

A big stack of targets. Most new shooters (and some old hands) use targets way too long to see how they're shooting past the first couple of dozen rounds.

Tape/staple gun/whatever you need for targets at your range.

Eyes and ears...you'll want two sets. Some folks (like me) can't shoot long guns with headgear, so plugs are my default.

A gun lock, locking gun case ( or range bag) and a gun safe. When stored at home or traveling to the range, all my guns are double locked (gun locked and in a locked case). Sometimes tripled locked (gun lock, locked case in a locked safe). Safety first, second and third.

Also, since you are in FLA, figure a way to store arms that doesn't promote rust.

A set of brushes (nylon and soft brass) for gun cleaning. Also, I like shop towels for cleaning.

I hate staplers and use thumb tacks and tape at the range. A broken or empty stapler is worthless. Tacks are light and reliable.

Laser trainer and snap caps.

Magazines, clips and speedloaders. Loading at home is better than at the range. I like enough to do a box of ammo (50ish). A speeeblock is a good alternative to a lot of speedloaders. I like Safariland speedloaders.

For semis, get a mag loader.

Handiwipes for post range wipe-down before leaving.

Oh...bore snakes are great...until you need to dislodge a cartridge from your gun. ;)

For targets, get the dirty bird kind for 22s. For rifles, buy the biggest target you can with multiple bullseyes. You can shoot multiple groups without re-hanging a target.

Oh, a good set of screwdrivers and a set of punches.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

+1 on Q-tips for those hard to reach places during weapons maintenance. I usually go with some cut up t-shirt rags, a nylon brush, CLP or Hoppe's 9, a bore snake, and Q-tips for cleaning after the range. You really shouldn't need much more than that unless you are treating special finishes.

Otherwise everything else has already been said here repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd just add toothpicks for cleaning out under the extractor. There must be something better out there, but I get more junk with a toothpick & patch than I do with the various brushes I have.

And also support the boresnake idea. I just need a way to keep all of mine from getting tangled up with each other in my gun tool box.

.22LR - .380ACP - 9mm - .38Spl/.357Mag - .45ACP - 5.56NATO - .308Win - .45-70Gov - 12Ga
Join!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is training. A good inexpensive investment that is well worth it if you're new to shooting pistols. There are a number of small things that can make a big difference in how you do, and whether you "just get it on paper" or if you start really putting good groups down range.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

senorgrand wrote:<major snip of good advice>
Magazines, clips and speedloaders. Loading at home is better than at the range. I like enough to do a box of ammo (50ish). A speeeblock is a good alternative to a lot of speedloaders. I like Safariland speedloaders.
<more snippage>
Be VERY careful of local laws - here in RI it is illegal to have a loaded magazine in the car. Load 'em at the range...
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Thanks everyone, knew I would get me good answers here.

So what's the benefit of a bore snake over swabs and patches? Besides time.

And Does anyone have any experience with frog lube? From what I've read it's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Also thankfully Florida has pretty good vehicle carry laws. Just has to not be immediately accessible. So a glove box works. Though obviously that's not my plan.
"No one can build his security upon the nobleness of another person."
-Willa Cather

KnightsFan wrote:Thanks everyone, knew I would get me good answers here.

And Does anyone have any experience with frog lube? From what I've read it's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

Also thankfully Florida has pretty good vehicle carry laws. Just has to not be immediately accessible. So a glove box works. Though obviously that's not my plan.
The bore snakes clean much faster and less messy for me. I've snapped so many aluminum cleaning rods I could scream.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:
KnightsFan wrote:Thanks everyone, knew I would get me good answers here.

The bore snakes clean much faster and less messy for me. I've snapped so many aluminum cleaning rods I could scream.
Bore snakes are great for casual cleaning but if scrubbing is required then a rod is a must. I only use the graphite rods at this point - too many galled/snapped/stripped aluminum and brass versions.

Yeah on the aluminum rods. I hate those damned things. Won't say what I managed to do to a steel one either. Bore snakes are good, but I also like the small Otis cleaning kit. Can use the same patch 6 time if you use their patches and do it right.

I use froglube. Its good stuff, and once applied, cleaning is super easy. Been on it for a year or so now. Also good for cleaning your hands before heading inside to use regular soap and water. Non toxic and hydrating. :lol:

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

KnightsFan wrote:And Does anyone have any experience with frog lube? From what I've read it's either the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.
I'm pretty much a noob too, but I'm sold on the stuff. Whatever filthy crap we put through our guns (*cough*Unique*cough*) wipes right off. Seems to lube well too.

KnightsFan wrote:
I was already tempted by those, glad to know they do actually work.

Would y'all recommend getting a single bag large enough to hold everything?

I usually use my bag for ammo, and all my shooting equipment, then a separate hard case for guns. For Christmas my wife got me a set of electronic muffs and I love them. We can talk normally while shooting now without yelling at each other. I also have designated a set of shoes and a long sleeve shirt I wear to the indoor range. They never enter my house.

Consider bags that don't say "gun".

I have a toolbox that holds 4 revolvers, 2 rifles, ammo and necessities.

Golf bags, tennis bags...anything is better than something with "Glock" printed on the side. I don't advertise that I own Macs or guns...just an invitation to get robbed.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."