Question about Taurus 850

A friend was gifted Taurus 850 for HD and she asked me to help her out learning how to use it, etc... We took it to the range and she shot 35 rounds before getting tired (BTW, she totally did great especially with my Walther PPS) actually it was progressively harder for her to pull the heavy double action trigger. Yesterday she was going to do some dry firing and put some muscle on that trigger finger and after few rounds her gun locked. She couldn't pull the trigger more than 1/8" and also couldn't push cylinder release button. Today I took it apart and couldn't see anything troubling and gun will intermittently lock up same as it did to her. Well, the fact is there is lot of very rough machining inside and all the parts are popping up as you work the trigger. But when I put the plate back, that's when it seamed it's even worse and locks up right away. I found out one thing and that is that plate rocks back and forth a little so I believe when it's screwed in place probably putting a lot of pressure/friction on some parts preventing it from operating smoothly.

Any experience with this type of gun, or similar experience?

My friend is waiting for her friend to bring her original box and everything that was inside and she'll call Taurus as they should have lifetime warranty, but we're kind of curios why would this gun stop working so soon. I asked her friend who gave her gun and it seamed she didn't shoot much from that gun.... like once a year in last 6-7 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we shot more in one day than gun was fired in a lifetime before.
"It works.........Bitches"

Re: Question about Taurus 850

Send to them, they'll 'fix' it, or at least spend some money on it. Go over it carefully after it comes back, strip the oil out of it and tell her to try it again.

Revolver DA triggers shouldn't be more than about 12lbs. A trigger job on a Taurus isn't hard to do, but the factory trigger should be serviceable.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

I think they're made like S&W revolvers. I've had some jam up due to the sooty ammo. A good external cleaning will correct it, the cylinder, the yoke area, and the extractor.

If it is worse after you removed the side plate and replaced it I'd guess the transfer bar is out of place. Take the plate off again and lay the bar as far upward on the pin as it will go then replace the plate.
transfer bar.jpg
transfer bar.jpg (24.24 KiB) Viewed 4597 times

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

My 905 is basically the same gun inside. I did an action job on mine and the trigger is great (or as great as a non-S&W/Dan Wesson gets.)

My gun suffered from light strikes because the hammer wasn't fully engaging the transfer bar. After some work with a file, better than new.

I agree about the transfer bar being the most likely culprit in lock-up. Also make sure to look around for stray metal bits inside...Taurus is infamous for that.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Thanks y'all! I focused on transfer bar and found out this... Little pivot pin in hammer assemble was sliding out and pulling "bolt" backwards with it and blocking transfer bar from raising up. I pushed it back and tapped with puncher so hopefully it will stay in place. Revolver is dry-firing OK now. Still, I won't be comfortable for my friend to use it as home defense gun until we are absolutely sure this will not repeat again as a problem.

Thanks again to all of you who chipped in with suggestions, it definitely helped me finding what was wrong.
Attachments
IMG_20140803_214620C.jpg

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... t=+rebound
If you're feeling competent in fiddling with that gun you might just give it a good fluff and buff.

The main recoil spring on your Taurus is taken out by cocking the hammer. Look at the bottom of the rod and stick a paper clip through the hole in the side. Let the hammer down and its held compressed so you can lift it out and get to work on the other pieces.

A simple polish does wonders, especially for the less refined of the species.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... t=+rebound
If you're feeling competent in fiddling with that gun you might just give it a good fluff and buff.

The main recoil spring on your Taurus is taken out by cocking the hammer. Look at the bottom of the rod and stick a paper clip through the hole in the side. Let the hammer down and its held compressed so you can lift it out and get to work on the other pieces.

A simple polish does wonders, especially for the less refined of the species.
Oh, I was already taking out both hammer and trigger springs trying to figure out what is the problem. Gun is very roughly machined inside. Pretty much on par with M88 from Zastava and compared with my S&W 442 is like night and day. I told my friend that I will polish it and do a little work on it. Since this is going to be her HD gun, we definitely want to swap grips for some that will enable her to grip with a pinky too. ATI is announcing interesting grips for small-frame Taurus guns that should be available in September. http://www.atigunstocks.com/handguns/ta ... istol-grip