Where do you buy ammo?

I'm doing a lot more shooting recently than I've ever done before, so quite suddenly the price of ammunition has become important to me, and I'm thinking about starting to buy in bulk to save money.

What sources do you use for that? I see several places online where I can get bulk ammo, but I don't recognize any of them so I don't know what their reputations are like.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Where do you buy ammo?

LAXammo has sales from time to time. I learned that from Aztex999. :)
Edit: Are you looking for pistol or rifle or rimfire....or all three?

I've bought from Widener's before. I saw that Cabela's had the 1400 round bucket o' bullets of 22lr. Not sure if they currently have that, though.
Last edited by beaurrr on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I buy my high-end .22 LR - Wolf ME and Center-X - from Champion Shooter Supply. Although expensive, They generally have the good stuff even during shortages and do not gouge. I can get my bread and butter .22 LR, CCI SV, at local stores for reasonable prices.

I buy center fire ammo when I see a good deal. I have reasonable supplies of .22, .17 HMR, .38 Spl, .357, and .410 so I can weather brief shortages.

beaurrr wrote:Edit: Are you looking for pistol or rifle or rimfire....or all three?
Until the next gun purchase (still debating the Ruger Precision Rifle) I need 9mm Luger and .223 Winchester.

For now I'm just buying stuff from the local stores: Carter's Country and Academy. But I was in Academy last week and they had a big tin of 520 rounds of .223 for a good price, and that got me to thinking more about buying in bulk.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I've bought various centerfire ammo online from Midway and Able Ammo. In fact, Able is headquartered in Huntsville and has a store front there. You need to check in advance if you want to pick up your ammo in-store.

Another online source is Freedom Munitions, which manufactures its own. I've never ordered online since they have a store on HW 290 near the Beltway. I've used several of their calibers the past few years and have been very satisfied. They sometimes have some good specials that are available only online.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

Larch wrote:I've bought various centerfire ammo online from Midway and Able Ammo. In fact, Able is headquartered in Huntsville and has a store front there. You need to check in advance if you want to pick up your ammo in-store.

Another online source is Freedom Munitions, which manufactures its own. I've never ordered online since they have a store on HW 290 near the Beltway. I've used several of their calibers the past few years and have been very satisfied. They sometimes have some good specials that are available only online.

Hmm. I work on 290, so I may have to check out that store.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Bucolic wrote:I buy my high-end .22 LR - Wolf ME and Center-X - from Champion Shooter Supply. Although expensive, They generally have the good stuff even during shortages and do not gouge. I can get my bread and butter .22 LR, CCI SV, at local stores for reasonable prices.

I buy center fire ammo when I see a good deal. I have reasonable supplies of .22, .17 HMR, .38 Spl, .357, and .410 so I can weather brief shortages.

How much is reasonable supplies of .22? I did a quickie count of my .22 bin yesterday and I've just north of 4k. :hmmm: I've got to check out Champion SS; I have four boxes of Eley Match (that haven't been touched) but everything else is the cheapest I can find... including 5 boxes of federal hp in 525/box format that are several years old.

As for where I buy: Almost everything is mail order: Cabela's, Midway. Every once in a while I pick up some at my LGS. No Walmart in town, so that helps me keep to my principles, and the local Bi-Mart never has .22 when I go in. The centerfire stuff is always got in bulk and on sale: WWB, Rem UMC, PMC, and some older Herter's steel-cased Russian stuff from Cabela's.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Eris wrote: Hmm. I work on 290, so I may have to check out that store.
It's at 290 and Jones Rd. in a strip shopping center.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

Simmer down wrote: Any deals worth stopping in for?
Haven't checked them out in a while but got a couple of pretty good deals in the past. Here's the website:

http://www.ableammo.com/

In re how much .22 is enough, I have about 5000 rounds of CCI SV and 1000 rounds of Wolf ME and Center-X. Maybe another 800 rounds or so of various Minimags, subsonics, Velocitors, etc.

I find that I shoot much more judiciously than I used to. It's rare for me to shoot more than 100 rounds of .22 in a range visit.

I buy most of my ammo from these two places.

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/

http://www.bulkammo.com/

These two have good prices but I mostly shop for accessories here...

http://www.midwayusa.com/

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com

The one surprise is always the shipping charge at the end. Just shop around and you can find some places that ship for free or at least offer free shipping on certain purchases.

Good Luck!
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Eris wrote:
Larch wrote:I've bought various centerfire ammo online from Midway and Able Ammo. In fact, Able is headquartered in Huntsville and has a store front there. You need to check in advance if you want to pick up your ammo in-store.

Hmm. I work on 290, so I may have to check out that store.
Pretty much all my ammo is from Freedom Munitons. I just wait for free shipping deals since I don't go anywhere near 290.

Everything is bigger in Texas
Texas LTC Holder
Postal Match Winner: 2017 Q1 Rimfire, 7 Yd Division, Glass, S&W Victory 22

Reading through the thread, I see Bisbee and Simmer suggest reloading, which was what I came to the thread for. I suppose if I shot up all my components, I could in fact calculate a savings over store bought. I have some stuff on the shelf still, so I'm probably hovering around seventy bucks a round... :wacko:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:Reading through the thread, I see Bisbee and Simmer suggest reloading, which was what I came to the thread for. I suppose if I shot up all my components, I could in fact calculate a savings over store bought. I have some stuff on the shelf still, so I'm probably hovering around seventy bucks a round... :wacko:

CDFingers

I don't know if reloading is really for me. Until recently I was living in a motorhome, and I'd really like to get back to that. RV's are not known for having a lot of space in them to do stuff. Reloading also sounds like it could be a lot of work.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I buy probably 90% of ammo from Walmart and the balance from Academy - that would be 9, .40, 17HMR, 22LR & Mag. Have never bought ammo on line and probably never will. As for reloading, I've got better things to do with my time - even if it's just taking a nap.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I'd second freedom munitions- I've done business with them in the past, and the remanufactured stuff is good quality. Prices when I used them prior to rolling my own was pretty good.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou