Re: Today's trip to the gun store

I used to work on all aspects of mine but this job was beyond my current capabilities. I did a lot of the prep, got new tires and battery, got it rollable - the brakes were frozen - and verified that the engine was not seized and that all the electrics were working. Then I hired a flatbed to truck it to a company in Harrisburg. They have been working on it off and on for about six weeks. It's ready for me to pick up but I don't have plates for it. I am re-titling it as an antique vehicle. Plate should arrive in about three weeks.

I used to use Mid America Motorworks but have been a little disappointed with them lately. So much of their stuff is out of stock. My guys in Harrisburg have a lot of NOS and Empi parts. They have a retail area as well as a "flea market." I picked up four decent hubcaps for $25. They needed a little work with a rubber mallet but the chrome is good.

Anything specific you need? I can check with them.

Very cool. Nice to know there are still NOS parts out there for those beauties. At this point, my '63 needs a whole lotta everything. I'd put in a whole new wiring harness several years ago and that's probably kaput due to mouse action. Other than basics (wheel cylinders, lines, etc.) it needs seats. In my younger years (I've had this baby since '83) I tossed the old lowback seats and put in highback seats from a '71. They are in great shape, but I want to restore an original interior to it. If you ever run across a pair of lowback seats with good frames and tracks, let me know. I can re-pad and upholster them if they're tatty.

That, and any recommendations on a carburetor would be appreciated. It's current set-up is a 30 PICT 3 riding over 1600cc, dual port heads with SS valves, stock pea-shooter muffler, and a 009 centrifugal advance distributor. The 30 PICT 3 isn't optimal and has a terrible flat spot. It used to run sweetly on dual single Dellortos, but I may be past my carb-synching days. ;)

Good luck with yours!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Thanks. I'll look for seats. Not sure how I would get them to you but let me see what I can do. In re carbs, I honestly don't know. The one they put on is a two barrel progressive Empi on top of a dual port manifold. I'll ask them next time I am up there.

I run an 008 distributor but stripped out the points years ago and replaced it with a Pertonix ignitor. Along with the blue coil, I have not had any issues and never have to screw with the timing.

Hold on to that precious metal! 63s are really hard to find, on the East Coast at least.

I'd arrange for shipping if they're cherry.

Adjusting the points is half the fun of a tune up! ;) Yeah, OK, it's a hassle. I tried to put a Weber knock-off progressive on it, but it had clearance issues with the fan shroud. Maybe I'll try that again...

It's in great shape, considering. It has rusted more in the last few years than the previous 60- used to be a California car, living in arid Riverside County.

Today's trip to the gun store

Dude! Get that thing on the road! Is it still a 6 volt car? I had a 66. That was the last year for 6 volts. I never converted it. I followed that with a 70, which may have been my best, and then a 73 pop top camper. I got the 78 in about 1995. It was my daily driver in Tucson. Like yours, mine has rusted more since I brought it here in 2003 than it did in the previous 25 years.

Here's mine just before the flatbed came to pick it up. I pulled the hubcaps but I do have a couple nice sets of them now.

Sweet! Man, that looks well-loved: Paint's shiny and the top looks great. Very cool. :)

Mine's been converted to 12v, but I need a better solution for the wiper motor. Right now there are two speeds: Off and Full-On Apeshit. Yeah, my sweetheart's been neglected. :( I'll post a picture when I can...

A '59 transporter. Damn. What I wouldn't give to have one of those.

Ages ago, Commonwealth VW in Fullerton, CA had a shiny black '53 sedan with semaphores in their showroom. I was just a kid in High School, and I would go and stand there and stare at it. :drool:

Bucolic wrote:There's a guy up the road with a 74 or so camper under a cover and an older beetle next to it. The latter is certainly pre-66 but I can't get to it to verify the age.

I would sell some guns for a 59 transporter but I would kill for a rust-free 67 convertible.
It wasn't exactly rust free when we sold it to a guy who was going to make a hippie van for his daughter, who was going to school at Humboldt State. Kind of scuffed, it was.

It already was a hippie van, though. I'd made all wood interior and a bed and cabinets, and so on. Converted it to 12v. External oil cooler. Put a 40 horse in it. We could go places most four wheelers wouldn't go. 13 inches ground clearance. Slow but steady, up long hills in 3rd gear with wildly gesticulating folks lined up behind me. Those were the days.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yes, I remember them well.

Mine rarely let me down. Sure, they spent some time on the side of the road but I could almost always get them running some how. Be it a broken accelerator cable or a busted shift coupler, a little ingenuity would usually prevail. Nowadays? Well, I have never even seen the engine of our Boxster S.

The only time I remember having to be towed was when my 66 beetle got a load of bad gas and I was driving on I-80 in northern PA on a frigid winter day. The fuel pump iced up. An hour or so in a warm garage and a couple cans of dry gas and I was on my way.

Today's trip to the gun store

I have a CZ 453 American Varmint in .17 HMR. 21 inch fluted barrel, single set trigger that is reliable at one pound. I replaced the stamped trigger guard with a DIP machined one and the action screws with a DIP set. DIP dovetail-to-rail mount. Three ridiculously expensive ten-round mags. It sat in one of my LGS from 2007 till I bought it c. 2014 or so.

Yesterday, I entertained thoughts of selling it. I almost never shoot it and, with the mods and magazines, should sell for $700-800.

I decided that I could not sell it since it is the most stoopidly accurate rimfire I have ever shot (so long as the wind is not blowing).

Love the CZs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CZ's are the very best value for the money. Before I discovered their firearms, I knew the Czechs as great brewers. Pilsner the pale lager we're used to was created in Plzen (Pilsen) in the Czech Republic by Josef Groll, sold as Pilsner Urquell (Original Pilsner) which is available in the US. The original Budweiser is still made in Ceske Budjovice in the Czech Republic. Marketed as the "Beer of Kings" because of its popularity, Adolphus Busch not only used the name Budweiser for his US brew, but reversed the slogan to the "King of Beers". US Budweiser has been in a name dispute with the Czech brewer.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan