Re: Firearm Personality Types

He has control over whether he clings to a fake history that holds the owners of the stolen goods blameless. He has control over whether he continues to believe that the aggrieved are owed nothing because his great great grandfather was able to hold the stolen stuff past the time of immediate and specific memory. I don't hold him responsible for history, but for what he does and says now. I don't think much of liars and cowards in South Africa just like I don't think much of the liars and cowards descended from the white dudes who murdered the Ohlone and took the land I live on now.

I don't think guilt is productive for anyone. I do think that acknowledging reality is a great starting point. I didn't kill anybody or take their land or enslave them and turn their labor in to wealth. I DO live on that land, and I DO benefit from some aspects of where that accumulated wealth wound up. I was seen as the good kid in school more often than I would have been if I were not white but my behavior and intelligence were the same; and that is how I am able to make a comfortable living rather than scraping by in ways that would put me at constant risk of violent abuse at the hands of our criminal punishment system.

When you find that the fire keeping you warm is the burning of someone else's house, the decent thing to do is to help put it out. Complaining that you didn't light it, and that, in the abstract, everyone should have the right to be warm isn't a justifiable position and I'll be nice about people taking that line exactly never. When you realize that you can see the sunset so well because you're standing on someone else's neck, you step the fuck down or you deserve to get knocked down.

My language is fucking awful whether I'm on about some truly hateful bullshit or cheery as the fucking day is long. I am a grown ass adult and will cuss freely and forever like my mother and my grandmother before me.

obviously there was a time when there were no people in the americas or oceania or even europe and asia and the land was there for the taking, but we're talking tens and hundreds of thousands of years ago, and since then every dispute over a watering hole or good pastureland has involved some sort of injustice. the usual justification has involve some variation of "might makes right" but obviously in retrospect that's a pretty thin veneer over some pretty shoddy behavior.
having said that. i'm finding this discussion useful as a mirror to reflect on my own place in the relation of justice and equality. for a few brief years or decades i get to have and maybe even share an opinion, and that's good.

marlene, you just keep on being you. :clap:
Last edited by lurker on Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

i have this recurring dream that it's a sunny warm day and i'm strolling across open grassland and i'm pulling handfuls of seed off the tops of the grass as i walk along and stuffing them in my mouth and there's not another person in sight and i'm completely naked (sorry, didn't mean to gross you out) and i figure that if there's reincarnation (which i don't, really) that that was me, having a glorious day 50 or 100 thousand years ago just before the sabretooth leapt out of the tall grass and ate me, and i must be a really old soul, before tools or clothes or anything.

lurker wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:39 pm i have this recurring dream that it's a sunny warm day and i'm strolling across open grassland and i'm pulling handfuls of seed off the tops of the grass as i walk along and stuffing them in my mouth and there's not another person in sight and i'm completely naked (sorry, didn't mean to gross you out) and i figure that if there's reincarnation (which i don't, really) that that was me, having a glorious day 50 or 100 thousand years ago just before the sabretooth leapt out of the tall grass and ate me, and i must be a really old soul, before tools or clothes or anything.
A great analogy of life. You have a short time enjoying the sun and then you spend the rest of eternity as fossilized Smilodon poop.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

Once it is agreed upon by someone that land can be "owned" then the ones with superior firepower and wealth will claim ownership and demand money for the resources of the land. This doesn't work out well for the vast majority of humans (or animals). The people who are and were allowed to be owned are absent in this discussion, but it is no different. Ownership can be a tool of oppression.
Last edited by K9s on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

JColville wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:31 pm A great analogy of life. You have a short time enjoying the sun and then you spend the rest of eternity as fossilized Smilodon poop.
so deep.
sometimes it just gets so deep in here. ;)

The meme-ness didn't mention Sturm Ruger, pistol caliber carbines or single action revolvers.
I had a guy talk shit about my wheel gun at the range, until I out shot him at 25 yards.
putting people in boxes because of their preference in just about anything is pretty annoying. I stick with the reply, "That's cool for you, bud." then go on about my merry way.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:01 pm The meme-ness didn't mention Sturm Ruger, pistol caliber carbines or single action revolvers.
I had a guy talk shit about my wheel gun at the range, until I out shot him at 25 yards.
putting people in boxes because of their preference in just about anything is pretty annoying. I stick with the reply, "That's cool for you, bud." then go on about my merry way.
Asshole! (him, not you!)
WTF was going through his diseased, tiny brain that made him think you give 1 shit (not even 2) about his dumb-shit opinion on ANYTHING?
When I see someone doing something stupid (not unsafe--that's for the RSOs) like shoot an AR-15 at a 5 or 10 yard target, I keep my mouth shut. I rarely chat at all with other people at the ranges, but Sunday was a rarity, actually talking guns with the guy in the next booth, who was shooting really well with a VP-9 and Sig.

Getting into a pissing match, or trying to, at a place where everyone has a loaded firearm is like lighting a match to see if there's any gas in the tank! It may not blow up...but it well may!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Anyone who has a problem with wheel guns has no appreciation for history or tradition. Tacticool is all the rage (still, I think) for years and many don't remember the basics.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

lurker wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 pm you dirty so-and-so!
And 1911s, of course.

Some people think that ARs and polymer striker-fired pistols are the only way to go. No nuance. No appreciation of history or diversity.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:46 pm Some people think that ARs and polymer striker-fired pistols are the only way to go. No nuance. No appreciation of history or diversity.
i own an AR and a couple of other modern guns, and while i recognize their utility, they don't seem to me to have much character, just a tool. shooting well is good, but what's the backstory? firearms technology has a trajectory, an arc: loading systems, ignition systems, rifling, metallic cartridges, all of that, all interesting to me. if i had to sell some guns, the modern plastics would be the first to go. but that's ok, you guys keep on buying plastic guns, more wood and steel for me! :bananadance:

lurker said:

i own an AR and a couple of other modern guns, and while i recognize their utility, they don't seem to me to have much character, just a tool.
They have no soul. I own several really nice polymer guns. They shoot. They won't talk to you.

My American Enfield 1917 speaks to me.

I am all about wood and steel. I just got into the ARs recently, and it is very interesting. But they are soulless compared to something older with character.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
M44-0511.jpg
laminate0920.jpg

K9s wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 am I am all about wood and steel. I just got into the ARs recently, and it is very interesting. But they are soulless compared to something older with character.
This is why my first AR build is going to be a retro m16a1, xm16e1 build. I'm all about historicity. However if I do, do something modern youtube Channel InRange TV did a whole series on an AR build titled "What would Stoner do?" with the premise If Eugene Stoner was here today with all the modern bells and whistles, what would he do with the AR-15 platform? They had a whole series testing each individual part to create an AR that is unique. Pricey though.
"There are dozens of us. DOZENS"

Let's not necrothread to start new shit from things that were posted here over a year ago. Thanks.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou