Re: My Wife just OK'd my Getting a .308!

I got it! The gunsmith got done with it sooner than I expected, so I was able to bring it home--I had done the N.I.C.S. and NJ paperwork before he came so it was done this afternoon. He did a really clean job welding on the muzzle break, with the pin NOT piercing the barrel (unlike the idiot who pinned my Kel-Tec).
Since this is my first AR I'm trying to figure it out all the pieces and how it all goes together. I was able to take off the upper receiver and pull out the bolt assembly and charging handle to, as recommended by Windham, run a dry cloth through the barrel to remove manufacturing oil. As it's chrome you don't do anything but run about 100 rounds of brass through it.

I mounted the UTG scope and with the bore laser got a preliminary adjustment. I don't have a lot of familiarity with scopes either so it's a learn-as-I-go. It came with one 5 round hunting magazine but I bought 4 Magpul 10 round mags.

For all you AR folks: The wood foreend seems to move a bit. Is this normal and, if not, how do I stabilize it? Otherwise I like the weight and feel of it, but won't be able to go shooting it tomorrow--too much to do. But Saturday, my wife is leaving early to go pick up our son from camp. She's on the first flight to Minneapolis, and they are on an 8pm flight home landing very, so I've got all day! I expect I'll spend a lot of time fiddling with the scope, possibly swapping it for the Sig bottom of the line Whiskey scope.

Still, it's very exciting!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wow! Started at 25 yards...first five shots at the silhouette target--2 to the center mass, 3 to the head outline! At 50 yards I was getting groups within a couple of inches--and I can say I don't actually know WHAT I'm doing, especially with a 'scope. I'm too tired at the moment post target pics. Failures are all mine, not the Windham's. I did manage to jam it at one point--user error, and a clever RSO helped clear it.

The foreend moving had ZERO effect. All the RSOs wanted to see it and the one who cleared it, well, I offered to let him shoot it. He would only shoot 3 rounds...and then said he has a new gun for his wish list! I mostly shot Remington brass, but also a box of Tula steel. Wow, is that shit HOT! I don't mean figuratively--those shells'll burn your flesh off when they're ejected! And the muzzle flash was much greater than the Remington, which also shot straighter.

Then I switched to my Ruger 1771, 7 round .357/.38, I just shot .38, mostly single action and was pleased with it. I switched to my VP-9 and really struggled today, not shooting for shit until with another RSO, I figured out what I was doing wrong..at least 5 things. Finally was able to put rounds where I wanted them.

But I am SERIOUSLY impressed by the Windham Hunter. I did bring my bore sight so I could adjust the 'scope better.

Here are groupings at 50 yards. The circled groups indicate I kind of was hitting what I was aiming at: Head, neck, heart, center mass.
20190802_WIndhamGroups.jpg
Just as my 2nd hour was up, I went back to the hunter with this 1' target at 50 yards. The target is turned sideways because....the muzzle break tore it near the "10" corner. I was not unhappy with it for the first time shooting this rifle.
20190802_Windham final.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

You must've had a similar feeling as the one I get when I do a project then shoot it. So nice.

With respect to the Tula steel case, I'd watch the extractor for excessive wear. Take a pic now for a bench mark if you're going to shoot much more of it so you can detect any changes.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 pm You must've had a similar feeling as the one I get when I do a project then shoot it. So nice.

With respect to the Tula steel case, I'd watch the extractor for excessive wear. Take a pic now for a bench mark if you're going to shoot much more of it so you can detect any changes.

CDFingers

Good idea! I'm exhausted tonight, but I plan on cleaning everything tomorrow morning--my wife's on a very early flight to pick up our son from camp and they won't be home till late, so the house will be empty. I'll take a reference shot then.

K9s wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:37 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:56 pm
Sheeesh, K9! :lol:
I wanted to be original. :D
Well, it certainly was that! :laugh:
Great shooting for a tired first time!
You're just sayin' that to be nice! But it does occur to me that from my POV, hand-gun shooting is a necessary chore to learn how to do well, or, at least, reasonably well.
But, for me, long gun shooting is just plain FUN! And shooting this big ol' .308 was fun from the first shot! I ENJOY shooting all my rifles, even my Kel-Tek Sub2K. The Cx4 is more fun, and the Marlin 1894 is a flat-out blast, more so with iron sights than the 'scope. And Windham, with the cheapo UTG 3-9x 'scope I was delighted by how well I could shoot with it.

I gotta say I don't like the Tula stuff much. Lots of flash, less accurate than the Remington, and DAMN! those extracted cases are insanely hot!

Two guys in the next booth were shooting some kind of AK, with Tula steel-cased as well. Not as loud as the .308s, but loud. One was a noob, the other not a complete noob, and they were having a lot of fun! Good to see. They also had some kind of semi handgun but I didn't see what.

That is a super special NJ compliant .308 so it probably would like brass. Treat it like a baby. heh heh

How much Tula did you buy? I don't even run Tula through my AKs or SKSs. Too many issues.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Unfortunately, too much. About 200 rounds. It wasn't built to be NJ compliant. Windham put a threaded barrel and A2 flash arrester on it. The gunsmith had to pin and weld a muzzle break. That was the only non-compliant part. The .223 version is out-of-the-box compliant, but not specifically.