IWB Holsters

I just received my new TUCKER Gunleather IWB holster named "The Answer". It's a great looking holster for my P229 9MM SCT. The only turd in the punch bowl is, I can't seem to get it to fit me comfortably no matter what I do. When I place it between my right hip and my right back pocket, it prints horribly PLUS, I have a hell of a time drawing the weapon. I'd get shot 10 times before I cleard my holster. That's not good. LOL

BTW, I'm certain it's NOT the holster. It's my inexperience at wearing an IWB (never worn one before) holster. I hope it isn't my body ... I'm 5'11" and I weigh 205. My waist is 36 '' (yeah I know I need to drop a few pounds and lose a couple of inches off my waist.)

Have any of you had this problem and if so, how did you solve it.

Re: IWB Holsters

Sounds like it needs to be broken in. Also, even though most IWB's are pretty slim they can take up an inch in your waist, making your pants tighter and pistol prints.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

Just checked, the pistol is also 1.5" making it a bit chunky. FWIW, I can carry larger pistols in colder weather (easily with a sweater or jacket) and a 9mm "mouse gun" when it's T-shirt weather.
"Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized."

"We postulate that man is an artifact designed for space travel. He is not designed to remain in his present biologic state any more than a tadpole is designed to remain a tadpole."

You using an SCT magazine with that? I guessing that you know that the standard 229 magazines don't protrude like the SCT...
LibShooter wrote: Have any of you had this problem and if so, how did you solve it.
Yeah, I gave up trying to carry my 229 and carry a 239 instead.
Last edited by rolandson on Sat May 28, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

I wear new holsters around the house for a few hours at a time. It breaks it in and it lets me shift it around for the best fit without the worry of printing in public. I wear my IWBs slightly behind my hip.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Don't laugh, but the way you dress has as much to do with concealment as the type of holster you use. I used to always use an IWB with my snubby and my Taurus 9mm slim. I had print problems too until I swallowed my pride and started wearing one size larger shirt. I don't know how you are dressing; but loose fitting clothing helps alot.

Have you tried changing the cant by using the screw slots on the holster? You will need to change the cant depending on the position you put your holster on. Say if you wear at 4-5:00 you'll need a sharper cant to draw than say a 3:00.
"the task of Social-Democracy [revolutionary] is
to imbue the proletariat (literally: saturate the
proletariat) with the consciousness of its position and the
consciousness of its task."

Inquisitor wrote:Oh yeah, people ask me if I put on weit all the time when I am IWB.
Tell them that you did about 2 pounds. :D

I have the same problem. I usually wear an X-large and for a IWB I have some old 2X.

I also have a very lightweight vest that I wear a tee shirt under the vest with my gun weither
IWB or a pancake. I usually carry a Sig 239 .40

Chuck
I am retired Air Force Captain, '65-'85. During that time I was an EOD officer. Spent 10 years in and around SE Asia.
Moved to Texas in '84 and retired here in '85. Going to the range and playing tournament chess keeps me busy now.

Where it actually sits on your waist makes a huge difference. I find that directly on the hip (9 o'clock for me, 3 for a righty) is one of the easiest, followed by 7:30 for that style holster works well. I've found that 8 or 8:30 will make the button of the gun protrude significantly. Also, if it's adjustable for cant, then 3oclock is best with straight up vertical, and as it moves further back around the side, increase the forward cant. I have one that Irishman made for me with a dramatic amount of forward tilt (almost 45*) that I've found works GREAT at 6oclock.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

AmirMortal wrote:Where it actually sits on your waist makes a huge difference. I find that directly on the hip (9 o'clock for me, 3 for a righty) is one of the easiest, followed by 7:30 for that style holster works well. I've found that 8 or 8:30 will make the button of the gun protrude significantly. Also, if it's adjustable for cant, then 3oclock is best with straight up vertical, and as it moves further back around the side, increase the forward cant. I have one that Irishman made for me with a dramatic amount of forward tilt (almost 45*) that I've found works GREAT at 6oclock.
I am left handed also. I wear all my holsters at 9 o'clock

Chuck
I am retired Air Force Captain, '65-'85. During that time I was an EOD officer. Spent 10 years in and around SE Asia.
Moved to Texas in '84 and retired here in '85. Going to the range and playing tournament chess keeps me busy now.

LibShooter wrote: ...The only turd in the punch bowl is, I can't seem to get it to fit me comfortably no matter what I do....
You have identified the nemesis Lib...

I am not familiar with the Tucker...but the only thing I have found remotely comfortable is wearing at 5:30 and between the belt and pant (allows me to slide it along the belt to sit)...and for that I wear the smallest damn thing I can find for a 239 (right now a Galco "Sto-N-Go)...you are really trying to conceal a 229? They're huge...

That said, when I tried to conceal a 226, the only success I had was cross draw at 11:o'clock.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

muffin wrote:Necropost, but what kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt frequently makes all the difference.
+ 1 ^^^ Is so true!!

I wear a Milt Sparks with a Beretta 96FS Vertec at 4 O'clock with a Milt Sparks gun belt. It being on my side, it's well covered, I can move in any direction without it showing and it's comfortable.

Truth of the matter is... IWB are not known for comfort and it will take some getting used to and breaking in. Always practice your draw (unloaded) you'll find tricks that work best for you.
"Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you." - Alex Evans -