Re: 2nd Archery Postal Match

10 shot score - 60, (2,3,4,4,5,7,7,9,9,10) Bow OMP (October Mountain Products) 66" recurve, distance 20 Yds.
Temp 22 deg., wind 10-15, 3 to 6 oclock.
Haven't tried this in a long time. Burned out after 7 shots. Will try rest of targets later when my shoulder recovers..

Good luck all.
Thanks Mark for getting this up and running.
Pointfocus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.
Attachments
Bow, OMP recurve, 66", 36 Lbs.
Bow, OMP recurve, 66", 36 Lbs.
View from beyond 20, 15 & 10 Yd. stakes.
View from beyond 20, 15 & 10 Yd. stakes.
Target
Target
IMG_0360.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 2872 times

That's a nice barn, your worse than me. My dartboard is hanging on the wall next to my front door. Yup, few character marks there. Nice shooting and nice bow. :clap:

In case anybody's wondering, a 10mph wind gust can off-set an arrow by a foot or more coming off that draw weight at 20 yards.

Just curious, anyone using a release, glove, or just skin. I had a sweet 3 finger leather back in the day that I was comfortable with. Can't find em. I never got use to using a release though.
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Sonofagun, thanks for the accolades. When I saw your posted target, all I said was WOW......
That is very impressive especially at 30 yards. I have been trying to keep it on the bag for
over 4 years at 10 Yards. Lots of dings in the barn/workshop.

Yes, the wind was moving my arrows to the left so I was holding until the flags (tel-tails)
on the 15 and 10 yd stakes dropped. The wind still pushed several arrows to the left.

I am using a thin 3 finger glove shooting 3 fingers under. I'll check with Mick, our at our
local archery hangout to find out where he got the glove. Will let you know.

When I saw your target I took my most accurate bow (OMP Olympic) and found the Easton arrow tuning
guide on the internet and went to work. Followed the instructions on the basics such as tillering, plunger settings, nock
location, etc. Yesterday I shot 5 arrows from 10 yards and almost robin hooded my arrows. Next I'm going to
fine tune my bow to tighten the groups at 10 and 15 yards.

Backed up to 20 Yds. and what a surprise. All on the bag.
Also I added a clicker to prevent target panic. It seems to work for me.
Great pictures. What kind of camera did you use.
Thanks for the motivation.

It's the journey, not the destination where the fun is.
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Attachments
View from dirt road to my home in S.E. Ohio
View from dirt road to my home in S.E. Ohio

Pointfocus wrote:Sonofagun, thanks for the accolades. When I saw your posted target, all I said was WOW......
That is very impressive especially at 30 yards. I have been trying to keep it on the bag for
over 4 years at 10 Yards. Lots of dings in the barn/workshop.

Yes, the wind was moving my arrows to the left so I was holding until the flags (tel-tails)
on the 15 and 10 yd stakes dropped. The wind still pushed several arrows to the left.

I am using a thin 3 finger glove shooting 3 fingers under. I'll check with Mick, our at our
local archery hangout to find out where he got the glove. Will let you know.

When I saw your target I took my most accurate bow (OMP Olympic) and found the Easton arrow tuning
guide on the internet and went to work. Followed the instructions on the basics such as tillering, plunger settings, nock
location, etc. Yesterday I shot 5 arrows from 10 yards and almost robin hooded my arrows. Next I'm going to
fine tune my bow to tighten the groups at 10 and 15 yards.

Backed up to 20 Yds. and what a surprise. All on the bag.
Also I added a clicker to prevent target panic. It seems to work for me.
Great pictures. What kind of camera did you use.
Thanks for the motivation.

It's the journey, not the destination where the fun is.
Man, I miss snow! Your place looks awesome. I chose the Oneida because it shoots for me, it's super fast and it looks awesome. Just my opinion about the looks awesome part. I was able to shoot many bows at the place I bought it, Emy's. Coudn't find it on line. It's a no joke Archery shop and they do taxidermy. We spent a lot of time there and I got the full run down and shot inside while there was some kind of competition going on, these guys were shooting some kind of high tech shit I've never seen. Anyway, all were surprised when I was grouping pretty close to what they were with the Eagle. I was easily convinced that I was on the right path there and not too mention walked out of the place with the biggest shit eatin grin you ever saw on a 16 year old. I think I paid 600 for it and at the time and to me that was like a new truck or something. Anyway, I've been shooting quite a bit lately due to joining this club...many oldtime, good time feelings, but it always reminds me that I quit hunting. I think my ol man would shit. Oh yeah, the camera's a Nikon D70. It's called something else now, was my wife's birthday present like 5 years ago. It's a lot of fun taking pictures. I bought an Olympus OM10 while on Liberty in Singapore in 89 and a Sigma 300mm telephoto lens and liked photography ever sinse. Especially after my first experience with the camera on the beeches of Benedore and Palma Spain...

I've never used a clicker, I assume its a device that clicks before release?

Some day I'd like to have a recurve of the sorts and I know it will be like starting over. I'm excited about it and just waiting it out for the right, "uh honey, we need this to survive".

How about adding a Rookie class?

Equipment: Traditional bows, Straight or Self bow (SB).
No sights or pulley. Finger release only.
Target, 20” or greater. Optional: Orange sticker or equal in center.

Shoot two Ends at 10 yards. Shoot 6 arrows per End.

1. Shoot 1st End.
2. Measure from center of bullseye to each arrow shaft, round up in ½ inch increments.
3. If greater than 10 inches, score 20,
4. Total your score, remove arrows.
5. Shoot next end repeating steps 2 thru 4..
6. Total shots, 12
7. Post score with pictures of target and bow.
8. The lower the score, the better you are.

Posting your score:

Name, Class, Score, Bow type, 10 Yards.
Comments, excuses, questions, discoveries, etc.

Score example:

Crooked Arrow, Rookie, 75, Long Bow, Distance.
Wind calm, sun in my eyes, etc.
How can I tighten my grouping?

Good luck,

Pointfocus

It's the journey not the destination where the fun awaits you.

This is a great idea and simply seperates the catagory. OK, I'm gonna take my son hunting for a nice U bush and try and make a bow. I did it in Boyscouts, so shouldn't be impossible.

"How do I tighten my group"? Practice, practice, practice...but only after proper set-up of all equipment or your pissing in the wind.
Last edited by Sonofagun on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sonofagun wrote:This is a great idea and simply seperates the catagory. OK, I'm gonna take my son hunting for a nice U bush and try and make a bow. I did it in Boyscouts, so shouldn't be impossible.

"How do I tighten my group"? Practice, practice, practice...but only after proper set-up of all equipment or your pissing in the wind.

This is great. I had a similar experience years ago with some native Americans. It ended up as
"bow building by committee". If you put all those experts end to end, they pointed in all directions.
We did learn a wonderful life lesson. Take your time. Ask questions. We didn't let it dry long enough.
Strung it and pulled, Cracccckkkk. Opps.

I hope you are going to share your adventures with the group.

Best wishes to you and your son

Pointfocus

It's the journey not the destination where the fun waits.

Where do you got to shoot your bow sonofagun? If I can find something to sell that will net enough cash to get a cheap bow I'd be looking to practice.
If I hear "crony" capitalism one more time I'm going to be ill. Capitalism is capitalism, dog eats dog and one dog ends up on top, and he defends that place with all the power he's accumulated.

Sonofagun wrote:Has anyone else submitted anything? I don't see a good end to this unless somebody's waiting till last minute.,shit somebody shove some fucking poles in some styrofoam and call it a day will ya!
I's posted. Go shooting. Tell me what you think. I was thinking of maybe adding a knee position class in the compound division.

Best wishes,

Pointfocus

goosekiller wrote:I am a chump.

I drove twenty miles out of my way for field points(i don't have ten broadheads that match) two freakin' weeks ago and never even screwed 'em on. Ants abound and the mortgage calls...
You got a coffee can downstairs full of nuts and bolts? Probably next to your long lost and forgotten "stash" from the 80's, no? Yeah, little more to your left and up, yeah you know you do, might be a little dry...