Longbows anyone?

Hey All,

I used to hunt years ago with a compound bow. I would love to take up archery again but have no desire to use a newfangled space bow. I would love to learn to use the traditional longbow but know absolutely nothing about it. What would it take to get started and is anyone familiar with the Bear or PSE long bows? I would hope to not break the bank. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Punkinlobber :cap:

Re: Longbows anyone?

Hey man, Well archery in so many ways like guns is a w i d e range of chioce even seperated by catagories. Your taste and feel will lead you as you explore and learn. My advice is what I'm telling myself, because I'm in the same boat when it comes to tradition and the like. I'm looking for something simple and operable. Quality is key, but it's hard to find quality and simple in the same rack. Good luck brother, shoot the other match with your compound!
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

punkinlobber wrote:Hey All,

I used to hunt years ago with a compound bow. I would love to take up archery again but have no desire to use a newfangled space bow. I would love to learn to use the traditional longbow but know absolutely nothing about it. What would it take to get started and is anyone familiar with the Bear or PSE long bows? I would hope to not break the bank. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Punkinlobber :cap:
Good morning,

I am just a basic shooter. Always learning. I have wasted a lot of time and effort doing it wrong. Here is what experience has taught me.

Traditional archery is basically about teaching your body consistency and muscle memory. Think of it as a dance. You can't practice comfortably with a 40 Lb. or greater bow. Injuries are very common by over bowing.

Roughly, the basic steps are feet position, stance, bow grip, string finger position (3 under or split) the draw, the anchor, pause, release, follow through, pause and observe your arrow. Then reflect on each of the steps. Where did you deviate from past steps? Then work on that one. Etc.

My suggestion is get a very simple long bow. Nothing fancy. Length, 56 to 66 inches long. Draw weight, 15 to 30 Lbs. The Japanese typically use a 30 Lb. or less bow. No shelf for the arrow to rest on. Use your hand. The goal is to learn through repetition what works best for you. Then practice, practice, practice. Archery should always be approached with a "having fun" attitude. If you are not in the mood, don't do it. When you loose your concentration, stop. Then, after a while, you will develop archery skills that are uniquely yours. Then your next decision on bow selection will be based on a better foundation.
Read, ask questions, think, practice.

Boy, i do ramble on sometimes.
Hope this helps in your selection. Good luck.
Oh, a good place to check out is rudderbows.com. The have kits or finished bows. Prices are cheap. You leave out all those middle guys who add their markup. Call them.

Best wishes, shoot safely.
Pointfocus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.

punkinlobber wrote:Pointfocus and Sonofagun,

Thank you both very much and I will check out the web site,

Lobber of Punkins :cap:

You inspired me. I remembered that I have a old bow in the dust bin that came out of a local barn years ago. 62" long. The top half bends in a circle, the bottom half is almost straight. Ugly :yucky: ! No arrow shelf. No markings. A solid piece of wood. Looks homemade. Draw weight at 28" is 21 Lbs. Selected 3 Easton 1616 UTE arrows and proceeded to tight group them at 10 Yds.

Well, I'm still trying to recover from the shock. How can that be?

I mention this because this a prime example of how preconceived notions, bias, marketing BS, high price and a pretty paint job can mess with your brain.

Hope to see you posted soon in the March Trad fun shoot.

Good luck with your bow hunt.

Pointfocus
I remarked, I was trying to keep relaxed, the Zen Master replied: 'That's just the trouble, you make an effort to think about it. Concentrate on your breathing, as if you had nothing else to do. (Quote modified to fit.)
Zen in the Art of Archery.